Seat Replacement bottom panel- leather vs vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 04:27 PM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Replacement bottom panel- leather vs vinyl

Hi All,

Somehow got about a one inch tear on my seat bottom- 2013 300h model, seat color light grey, perforated, and heated.

An upholstery shop wants to use perforated vinyl (it is in stock) vs. leather. The vinyl seems of good quality, and the leather
sample seemed to have more grab to it (perhaps vs the original seat). But I am a little nervous about going this route.
Lexus service is closed where I am at right now for advise.

Should I get the leather instead? I did call someone from the main Lexus line and they said the leather will hold the heat better.
What are your thoughts? Should I try to get OEM leather and do they sell/install only the perforated seat bottom (vs. entire seat cover)?
It non-oem leather o.k. or would it be the same if they carry the Lexus colors?

Or can this be repaired as is? The tear is right along the holes.

Thank you!
Old 01-19-22, 04:46 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

I would insist that a custom automotive upholstery shop could fix it with perforated leather. I had a tear/wear area on my leather seats and they fixed it right up. They took the seat out, removed the leather cover, replaced the damaged panels, redyed the seat to get an even appearance, and reinstalled. Cost me $350 Cdn (about $250 US at the time). If they are a GOOD shop, they should have no problem sourcing the material although it might take a little time to get it "just right" in terms of the perforation pattern. Vinyl? Ugh. Of course your other option is to dig around and see if a recycler has a seat in the right colour with good leather than can be used to replace the seat bottom covering.

Last edited by Tootsall; 01-19-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 04:50 PM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I would find a custom automotive upholstery shop. I had a tear/wear area on my leather seats and they fixed it right up. They took the seat out, removed the leather cover, replaced the damaged panels, redyed the seat to get an even appearance, and reinstalled. Cost me $350 Cdn (about $250 US at the time).

I did go to a shop and they suggested vinyl so that is really my question if you had thoughts on that. Cost would be 175US for bottom seat panel to replace. Leather is 225US. I just don't know
how it will feel and perform once the entire thing is replaced. I want comfort too, but really want it to be close to oem in feel. Also, will the heating feature be affected by vinyl (less heat?)

Last edited by Hawks88; 01-19-22 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-19-22, 04:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Vinyl will not match the look and feel of the rest of the interior.
Old 01-19-22, 05:21 PM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Vinyl will not match the look and feel of the rest of the interior.
Oddly it looked the same and I could not tell any real difference on feel except the sample was one square inch only.
Old 01-19-22, 05:25 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

The amount of heat you get isn't likely to be affected unless the vinyl is thick or has a backing material that insulates. In any case, if you do a search for heated seats through this forum, you'll see that different years and models, plus the user's previous experience, seem to have really different "subjective feel" in terms of how people think their seat heaters are working. My '14 ES is the first car I've had with heated seats and I can say that even in the -30C temperatures we've had recently they work just fine. Great for a sore back after shovelling snow, too.
Old 01-19-22, 05:35 PM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

The amount of heat you get isn't likely to be affected unless the vinyl is thick or has a backing material that insulates. In any case, if you do a search for heated seats through this forum, you'll see that different years and models, plus the user's previous experience, seem to have really different "subjective feel" in terms of how people think their seat heaters are working. My '14 ES is the first car I've had with heated seats and I can say that even in the -30C temperatures we've had recently they work just fine. Great for a sore back after shovelling snow, too.
Sample seemed to be the same thickness as the current cover. It would probably be o.k. then. You think this modern day vinyl would be o.k. then? I guess my main concern at this point is comfort on long drives but if they material is thin
like the leather maybe it does not matter.
Old 01-19-22, 08:38 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Personally I would insist on leather. If that shop doesn't have it then there's always another shop. If I had to I'd look around for a leather supplier and offer to supply it to the repair shop for them to install and dye. I have a hard time believing the shop can't source leather if they're of any decent size. Lexus isn't the only manufacturer to use leather so someone has some of the correct thickness and grain. As Lex2K said, vinyl just won't be the same and will likely wear differently and may also fade differently. Certainly it'll degrade the value of the car down the road. Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.
Old 01-20-22, 07:32 AM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Personally I would insist on leather. If that shop doesn't have it then there's always another shop. If I had to I'd look around for a leather supplier and offer to supply it to the repair shop for them to install and dye. I have a hard time believing the shop can't source leather if they're of any decent size. Lexus isn't the only manufacturer to use leather so someone has some of the correct thickness and grain. As Lex2K said, vinyl just won't be the same and will likely wear differently and may also fade differently. Certainly it'll degrade the value of the car down the road. Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.
Thanks. They can get it, it will take a week. I'll give them a call. I'll ask if the leather has a clear coating on it too. They just seemed to think the vinyl would be a better option
for some reason.
Old 01-20-22, 07:58 AM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Local Lexus service departments are saying the leather comes attached to the heating element- about $900 for the part. Can't the panel bottom be replaced
without affecting the heating element?
Old 01-20-22, 08:11 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

No idea: here's a shot of the bottom of that seat and as you can see, it has a lot of "stuff" attached! It was the side bolster on the seatback and the bottom that was repaired. Use this website to see if you can find a seat of the same colour: https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Old 01-20-22, 08:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

The heating element is attached to the leather from the factory (via plastic line in the same way tags are attached to socks) so that's the way the factory replacements are sold. Element can of course be removed from the original leather and used with aftermarket replacements. To be clear the heating element is right under the leather and on top of the seat foam.
Old 01-20-22, 08:16 AM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

No idea: here's a shot of the bottom of that seat and as you can see, it has a lot of "stuff" attached! It was the side bolster on the seatback and the bottom that was repaired. Use this website to see if you can find a seat of the same colour: https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Just concerned if the heating element is attached to the leather itself- saw another forum in an older Lexus model where it was attached and they needed to sew it back on. This is very concerning
because I do not think they know this, and would not trust it to not get damaged.
Old 01-20-22, 11:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

For me, I'd go with the vinyl over the leather for a replacement panel. I own an UL 350 and would have gotten the Nuluxe seats if I could have instead of the Aniline leather. My daughter has an NX with Nuluxe and it wears and looks great. A couple of years old and looks absolutely like new... Maybe you can find a Nuluxe panel or one that compares with Nuluxe.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-20-22, 01:29 PM
Hawks88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
For me, I'd go with the vinyl over the leather for a replacement panel. I own an UL 350 and would have gotten the Nuluxe seats if I could have instead of the Aniline leather. My daughter has an NX with Nuluxe and it wears and looks great. A couple of years old and looks absolutely like new... Maybe you can find a Nuluxe panel or one that compares with Nuluxe.
GOOD LUCK!
I was given a name from one of the dealers that does repair work for them (and other dealers in the area) and I am going to have it repaired for $125.00. I'll be able to keep the original leather
as is (it's in very good conditioning) and they say it will look like new. Thanks all.