ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Location of PCV valve on 2013 es 300h and replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 12:15 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Just for educational purposes only here is two PCV valves to compare .TOP is from RX450h BOTTOM is from ES 300h.....SIZE DOES MATTER .....lol..........SMALL WAS ABOUT $7.00 USA OR $ $10 CAD DOLLARS AND BIG LONG ONE ABOUT $10 USA OR $18 CAD. here i really dont want to start discussion about ebay or OEM part because part is very cheap but labour to do it by the book is way tooooo expensive.I am looking for alternative here and looks like NX lexus camry venza avalon highlander MOST OF THEM GOT SAME PART TO USE PCV VALVE ....POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION VALVE(PCV).......I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMAND EVERY 5 OR 6 MONTHS CLEAN UP OR REPLACEMENT OF THIS VALVE.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-02-22 at 01:47 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO TO ADD
Old 04-02-22, 12:25 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

One more thing to notice here THIS PCV VALVE IS ONE DIRECTION ONLY .Air can go only from engine out not otherway around.We have used break cleaner first to get ridof any oil or sludge build up inside. The PCV valve valve had spring and small ball inside .After shaking if you can't hear ball moving freely than your PCV valve is stuck open or stuck close and you have to replace your PCV valve with new one.

After soaking into brake cleaner solution ,we have used compressed air to dry valve and check for air direction if valve operates correctly.

Next step was Overkill ......we have used some canadien product for throtle body cleaner more cleaning on this PCV valve. After that step we have used a lot of compressed air to dry PCV valve .Some people use SEAFOAM OR 44K carbon cleaner or cleaner for MAF sensor.Personally i like to use 44K by BG .Bottom line really doesnt matter what solution for cleaning you use important thing is that small ball inside PCV valve moving freely and spring inside PCV valve is in good condition....and PCV valve operates in one direction only.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-02-22 at 02:09 PM. Reason: quality check ....extra info....spelling.....etc etc
Old 04-02-22, 12:40 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

After cleaning was done ,we reinstalled same PCV valve back using 19 mm deep impact socket .

One more thing to mention here was using lube for hose to go over PCV valve easyer.we have use HCF very good waterproof lubricant .

Make sure other end of hose is also attached to same place what was before removal of PCV valve.

Here is picture of whole hose ,just in case you have to order one for replacement.Looks like U shape hose.I think any other ,like brake line or power steering hose could work here if you don't have OEM ,but make sure loop is loose so no elbows just one long U shape ,to avoid restriction in air.

WARNING , ATTENTION,HIGH RISK OF GETTING INJURED ,CUT ON THIS DRIVE SHAFT CLIP..because there is not enough space to work around PCV valve you have to be careful not to cut yourself

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-02-22 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-02-22, 12:49 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Here are those sharp pins that got me couple times

Installation was just reverse order and it was easy.PCV valve START WITH HAND ONLY UNTIL YOU GET GROVE SLOWLY TIGHT THEM ,WE USE A BIT OF ANTi siese ON TOP OF THREADS OF PVC valve ,Some people using thread Lock solution.Its up to you what you like.I do like some easy thing to be able to remove again after 40 000 km. To clean and inspect We also put a dab of silicone on contacts of plug for sensor on driveshaft just to make sure electrical connection is solid and for easy removal next time.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-02-22 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-02-22, 12:54 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Now no more oil consumption ,better fuel economy ,no more white smoke ,better compressions,no more sludge or white stuff on oil cup. Well I hope this will help to someone who like keep car in prestine condition This all was just for educational purposes only .whatever you do you do at your own risk.

Ps.
BIG SHOUT-OUT TO Lexus engineer who design this new location for PCV valve.LOL.

CHEERs

pss........ we didnt have any of those oil issues on our es 300H mentioned above in this post .After reading a lot ON INTERNET some people claiming that PCV valve was reason for issues they had so i just mentioned them here TOO.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-02-22 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-03-22, 12:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Is exactly the same engine as on the Camry Hybrid and NX300h.

What problems did you have before going down the path of PCV valve?
Old 04-03-22, 10:52 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

didnt have any major problem just i decided to see if i can get access to the pcv valve without going from top of engine.but after one day of driving its giving me more power and a bit better fuel economy.hybrid battery works ok .overall engine runs very smooth like brand new.i think we should be performing this clean up of pcv valve every oil change.this is just me and my opinion but looking at my tail pipe no white smoke and looks like great mixture air and fuel.less polution .i will be doing pcv cleanup every oil change 10 000 km.save engine as much i can.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-08-22 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-19-23, 02:51 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Wink How to install Catch Can after PVC valve and kill Carbon deposit

well here it is new IDEA,
did anyone installed Catch Can in this Hybrid ES 300h?
If no I will try to do research and try to make some improvement .

I am aware we have dual Injections PORT and DIRECT on this car ,which means are valves should not buiol up much of carbon,but reality is different we witnessed many times this 4 bangers buildup carbon still.

so now IDEA is to put inside Air separator unit or Catch Can .

I would realy appretiate opions of all of you if you thing this is good idea.

Part unit is available on line amazon ,ebay etc etc $10- $120 or you can build one your self for about $10 using PVC pipe 90 deg elbov,some hoses and one drain valve fotr all gunk you catch.

still doing some reading and wondering if it is good IDEA go for for it .

will post update soon

cheers
Old 04-20-23, 08:15 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Why are you trying to fix things that are not broken? The same engine is in ES300h/Camry/Avalon/Rav4 and no one is having any issues with PCV system as is. No carbon deposits, none, zero.

No direct injection on this engine by the way, it was only added in 7th gen ESh.

Last edited by NdYAG; 04-20-23 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-22-23, 03:50 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Thank for note,now i am more confident to drive lexus models forever.I dont agree with carbon deposit.We did clean up on about 430 000 km and it was a lot of carbon same like at 250 000 km and 300 000 km .Anyway it was not big deal we have used 44K cleaner by BG and some seafoam in spray can .So carbon was gone.
now i just like to prevent any oil entering engine cover caused by blow by.
Pvc was checked regularly every oil change .
so now just for educational purposes we like to see if this CATCH CAN work.
we will put first on RX 450h and see how is performing.
Old 04-22-23, 03:57 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

This is what we have found on Line about $16.00 cad or $10.00 usa. It comes with barb fittings. We just update drain with other manufactured.

We combined some hoses because on Rx 450h plenum port is bigger than PVC port.So we did make some step up and step down adjustment.

This is what we use,some of them to secure fittings .
Old 04-22-23, 04:01 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

You can use straight or 90 deg barb fitting 1/2inch.

teflon tape is a must ,just to prevent any air leak.

This was one more product that could work as catc can.

Last edited by lexusisgs; 04-22-23 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-22-23, 04:06 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

The most difficult part was to find spot to fit catch can somewhere under hood.So i believe each model of lexus is different, we just pick this location ,because is less hot and it not obstructing air filter replacement and it woll be easy to put plastic cover back on.

Perfect fit under plastic cover's.

We like clear view in order to see how much oil was collected in this catch can.
Old 04-22-23, 04:11 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Here are some more pics of lexus 2010 rx 450h engine bay including new Cach Can.

Step up hose from plenum .

Be carefull if you choose this location is in proximity of hybrid invertor.Hi voltage ,always protect youself..
Old 04-22-23, 04:13 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Next update will be after few thousand of miles to check Catch can how much oil we caught.

soon it will be pictures from ES 300h with installation of new CATCH CAN too.

cheers

Quick Reply: Location of PCV valve on 2013 es 300h and replacement.