ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

how much would you pay for a 2013 ES-350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-22, 01:35 PM
olmk
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
Test drive as many cars as you can. Only then can you really decide which car is for you. Even two cars from the same company and model year can feel different. Besides test driving cars is fun!
Indeed, super fun, it was great, I opened the sunroof, sky was blue, it was a lot of fun.

I have a kind of technical question, I looked at one car's service history and saw this:

~40608 PERFORMED SERVICE
THROTTLE BODY SERVICE
THROTTLE BODY SERVICE ~|~INDUCTION SERVICE ~|~EXCESSIVE CARBON BUILD
UP. CAR SHAKES AT IDLE AND IDLE NEEDLE IS HIGH ~|~40608 COMPLETE

Is it concerning?
As per the "COMPLETE" - does it means that it was fixed?

As soon as I get one it will take it to a dealer for a PPI, I want to avoid potential issues in the long run.

Last edited by olmk; 06-05-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 02:40 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by olmk
Indeed, super fun, it was great, I opened the sunroof, sky was blue, it was a lot of fun.

I have a kind of technical question, I looked at one car's service history and saw this:

~40608 PERFORMED SERVICE
THROTTLE BODY SERVICE
THROTTLE BODY SERVICE ~|~INDUCTION SERVICE ~|~EXCESSIVE CARBON BUILD
UP. CAR SHAKES AT IDLE AND IDLE NEEDLE IS HIGH ~|~40608 COMPLETE

Is it concerning?
As per the "COMPLETE" - does it means that it was fixed?

As soon as I get one it will take it to a dealer for a PPI, I want to avoid potential issues in the long run.
Yes complete does mean the recommended servicing was done. Sometimes you will see "Customer declined service" when the owner decides not to do recommended service or wants to do it somewhere other than the dealer.

Yeah that's definitely concerning. The IS 250s with the 2.5L V6 are known for having carbon buildup issues. That's why I recommended avoiding those and that's why they are cheap and plentiful on the used car market. Some owners of the early 350 engines (2007-2008) say they had problems with carbon build up but others claim they've had no issues at all. If there is carbon buildup you will feel it when idling/driving. The car will hesitate, burn oil, be down on power, idle will not be smooth or the engine will knock etc. This is a common problem on all cars with direct fuel injection only. The domestics, German, Korean and some Japanese engines (both 4 and 6 cylinder) of that time all had buildup issues with their DI engines. The Car Care Nut has good videos on this problem.

When the 350 came out in 2007 it had both port fuel injection and direct fuel injection to solve this problem. The port fuel injection of the 350s removes and/or prevents carbon buildup.

That's why I suggest 2013 or newer for any IS/ES/GS 350. There have been no reports of carbon buildup on the 2013+ unless the owner did something catastrophically negligent like not changing the oil at all or frequently going more than 10K miles between oil changes. Personally I get my oil changed every 5K miles but that's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 03:36 PM
olmk
Driver School Candidate

Yes complete does mean the recommended servicing was done. Sometimes you will see "Customer declined service" when the owner decides not to do recommended service or wants to do it somewhere other than the dealer.

Yeah that's definitely concerning. The IS 250s with the 2.5L V6 are known for having carbon buildup issues. That's why I recommended avoiding those and that's why they are cheap and plentiful on the used car market. Some owners of the early 350 engines (2007-2008) say they had problems with carbon build up but others claim they've had no issues at all. If there is carbon buildup you will feel it when idling/driving. The car will hesitate, burn oil, be down on power, idle will not be smooth or the engine will knock etc. This is a common problem on all cars with direct fuel injection only. The domestics, German, Korean and some Japanese engines (both 4 and 6 cylinder) of that time all had buildup issues with their DI engines. The Car Care Nut has good videos on this problem.

When the 350 came out in 2007 it had both port fuel injection and direct fuel injection to solve this problem. The port fuel injection of the 350s removes and/or prevents carbon buildup.

That's why I suggest 2013 or newer for any IS/ES/GS 350. There have been no reports of carbon buildup on the 2013+ unless the owner did something catastrophically negligent like not changing the oil at all or frequently going more than 10K miles between oil changes. Personally I get my oil changed every 5K miles but that's a matter of personal preference.
This particular vehicle is the one on the link you sent from Auto Nation. I went there and test drove it inside the lot since they mentioned "it had no plates" (so no city driving). I wanted to buy it (this was like 1 week ago) (I already knew it it has this issue since I reviewed the service history first) but that put me off. It's a 2013 ES350.
Old 06-05-22, 04:16 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

This particular vehicle is the one on the link you sent from Auto Nation. I went there and test drove it inside the lot since they mentioned "it had no plates" (so no city driving). I wanted to buy it (this was like 1 week ago) (I already knew it it has this issue since I reviewed the service history first) but that put me off. It's a 2013 ES350.
Yeah I wouldn't purchase a car with carbon buildup unless it was incredibly cheap which $22,492 is not. Unless the dealer is straight up lying and pushing throttle body/induction service to scam people out of money but I doubt a Lexus dealer would do that. They are held to a high standard by Lexus corporate so I don't think they engage in those games. Once you get your car serviced at a Lexus dealer you will see that customer service is huge deal for them.

I had the service department manager from the local Lexus dealer contact me directly for a small little issue that happened recently and they rectified it right away.

They also gave me a 2022 IS 300 as a loaner while my car was in for a 30K mile service which only took 3 or so hours. Most dealers just make you wait there or get a ride.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 04:23 PM
olmk
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I wouldn't purchase a car with carbon buildup unless it was incredibly cheap which $22,492 is not.
Is a 2013 GS 350 AWD worth it over the regular GS? I'm looking at one with 50k miles on it with the premium package for 23.5k (before tax/reg/etc.) It looks pretty sexy . Exterior: Riviera Red - interior: Flaxen

Edit (to add the service history): https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0O?usp=sharing

Up to 26k miles apparently nothing was done (at least on a lexus dealer). But from there the visits were frequent. Can someone take a look to see if all looks correct? It does looks to me, though.

Edit: Damn, this car with this setup (visually speaking) is pretty pretty.

Last edited by olmk; 06-05-22 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeverett72 (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 04:53 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Is a GS 350 AWD worth it over the regular GS? I'm looking at one with 50k miles on it with the premium package for 23.5k (before tax/reg/etc.)
I'm still going through it's service history....
That's the exact car I have - a 2013 AWD with premium package. I LOVE, LOVE the car. I plan on keeping it forever. If it has a decent service history and the price is similar to comparable ES/IS then I would prefer the GS due to the AWD and extra hp/sportier ride.

I paid $27,590 ($29k and change OTD) in July 2021 and mine had 34,713 miles. I bought it from Carvana. I had a PPI done the day after they delivered it. The car had decent service, but not pristine, service history. The paint and seats were in very good condition with some rock chips and a couple very minor scratches. It had been in 1 minor accident that was repaired perfectly. Normal stuff for a 35K mile car. The car has more power and a more sporty ride than the ES (306 hp vs 268 hp and 277 lb ft of torque vs 248 lb ft). The ride, engine and transmission shifts are still buttery smooth. The engine sounds great. Quiet when just driving around town but great sound over 3500 rpm. AWD is great for handling and avoiding hydroplaning during heavy S Fla rainstorms.

I also preferred the AWD b/c it had the 6 speed automatic transmission. Never heard a single complaint about the 6 speed. The GS RWD and the ES have the 8 speed automatic transmission. A few owners with the 8 speed have minor complaints that it hesitates to downshift and hunts gears sometimes. The 6 speed has neither of those issues.

The only real drawback is that it doesn't get great gas mileage and only takes 91 octane or higher premium gas. I get 15-16 mpg if I'm doing all stop and go traffic and up to 18 if I drive very carefully in Eco mode. I get about 21-24 mpg on the highway but I kind of have a lead foot. The AWD GS is rated for 19/26 and the RWD is 20/28 or 29. The ES and IS get 21 city and 30 or 31 highway I think. The IS turbo 4 cylinder gets 22/32.

Also the ES has a couple of more inches of legroom in the back seat and none of the back seats fold down in Lexus sedans (for more body rigidity/smoother ride).

The only thing that has needs fixing is my driver side mirror does not move left or right but moves up and down. I still need to get it fixed. Passenger mirror works fine. About $65 for full synthetic oil changes at a local independent mechanic.

The A/C is ICE COLD. I only need to put the interior temp at 75-77 even in the Texas heat. The ventilated seats don't really cool you down b/c they are not A/C seats just some cool air that you can feel on your back and bottom.

olmk (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 05:00 PM
olmk
Driver School Candidate

That's the exact car I have - a 2013 AWD with premium package. I LOVE, LOVE the car. I plan on keeping it forever. If it has a decent service history and the price is similar to comparable ES/IS then I would prefer the GS due to the AWD and extra hp/sportier ride.

I paid $27,590 ($29k and change OTD) in July 2021 and mine had 34,713 miles. I bought it from Carvana. I had a PPI done the day after they delivered it. The car had decent service, but not pristine, service history. The paint and seats were in very good condition with some rock chips and a couple very minor scratches. It had been in 1 minor accident that was repaired perfectly. Normal stuff for a 35K mile car. The car has more power and a more sporty ride than the ES (306 hp vs 268 hp and 277 lb ft of torque vs 248 lb ft). The ride, engine and transmission shifts are still buttery smooth. The engine sounds great. Quiet when just driving around town but great sound over 3500 rpm. AWD is great for handling and avoiding hydroplaning during heavy S Fla rainstorms.

I also preferred the AWD b/c it had the 6 speed automatic transmission. Never heard a single complaint about the 6 speed. The GS RWD and the ES have the 8 speed automatic transmission. A few owners with the 8 speed have minor complaints that it hesitates to downshift and hunts gears sometimes. The 6 speed has neither of those issues.

The only real drawback is that it doesn't get great gas mileage and only takes 91 octane or higher premium gas. I get 15-16 mpg if I'm doing all stop and go traffic and up to 18 if I drive very carefully in Eco mode. I get about 21-24 mpg on the highway but I kind of have a lead foot. The AWD GS is rated for 19/26 and the RWD is 20/28 or 29. The ES and IS get 21 city and 30 or 31 highway I think. The IS turbo 4 cylinder gets 22/32.

Also the ES has a couple of more inches of legroom in the back seat and none of the back seats fold down in Lexus sedans (for more body rigidity/smoother ride).

The only thing that has needs fixing is my driver side mirror does not move left or right but moves up and down. I still need to get it fixed. Passenger mirror works fine. About $65 for full synthetic oil changes at a local independent mechanic.

The A/C is ICE COLD. I only need to put the interior temp at 75-77 even in the Texas heat. The ventilated seats don't really cool you down b/c they are not A/C seats just some cool air that you can feel on your back and bottom.
Excellent pictures, it looks B E A U T I F U L. I love the car already.
jeverett72 (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 05:13 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Is a 2013 GS 350 AWD worth it over the regular GS? I'm looking at one with 50k miles on it with the premium package for 23.5k (before tax/reg/etc.) It looks pretty sexy . Exterior: Riviera Red - interior: Flaxen

Edit (to add the service history): https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0O?usp=sharing

Up to 26k miles apparently nothing was done (at least on a lexus dealer). But from there the visits were frequent. Can someone take a look to see if all looks correct? It does looks to me, though.

Did you get this service history from the Lexus app? You can also check the CarFax where servicing/oil changes from some dealers and independent mechanics shows up. Some owners choose to service their Lexus at Toyota dealers to save money.

That one has more comprehensive servicing than mine had. Pads and rotors were just replaced. Rotors resurfaced at 26K, 51K and 55K. These rotors definitely need to be replaced if they are being resurfaced multiple times. Might need a 4 wheel alignment done. I had to have mine done after I bough it.

Mine had only had the 10K service done at 7,150 miles and the 15K and 20K service done at 12,586. Nothing after that before I bought it.

I got the 30K mile service done at the Lexus dealer immediately after I bought it. Cost me about $580. Expect the 60K service to cost about $1,000 to $1,200 and about $750-900 at a reputable mechanic.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 05:23 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Excellent pictures, it looks B E A U T I F U L. I love the car already.
Thanks! I wanted the Riviera Red or Ultrasonic Blue Mica, AWD and one that had never been owned in a state where they use road salt in the winters so there would be no rust. Took me almost 1.5 years to find one. I also wanted the 2013-2015 pre-facelift but I think the 2016-2020s look great too.

Mine also has the dynamic radar cruise control and pre-collision system which is extremely rare for the 2013-2015 models. Honestly I hardly ever use the radar cruise. The pre-coliision system works great. It's not an automatic emergency braking system, it just warns you (with a red flashing light in between the speedometer and tachometer and loud beeping) if the radar senses that you might get into a crash. Also as soon as you hit the brakes the PCS automatically applies the brakes full force in that situation.

I added the BeatSonic Apple CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade for $1,200 ($800 for the unit, $400 for installation). I am thinking of replacing the "Super Chrome" 18 inch dark chrome wheels with the 19 inch F Sport wheels. I think the AWD would look great with 19 inch dark chrome F Sport wheels (not a fan of the blacked out look) but it's not a huge deal for me.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 05:24 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

OH NICE I just noticed that you are looking at Riviera Red too. The Riviera Red is pretty rare and they switched to Matador Red Mica in 2014 or 2015 I think. It looks GREAT in the sun. It turns bright red metallic. I am in love with the color.

I would say go for it! But I am biased. Even after a year I still look forward to driving it, even for short trips. I still occasionally go in the garage randomly and look at it LOL. The front and rear wheel flares are really nice.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 05:31 PM.
olmk (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 05:26 PM
olmk
Driver School Candidate

Did you get this service history from the Lexus app? You can also check the CarFax where servicing/oil changes from some dealers and independent mechanics shows up. Some owners choose to service their Lexus at Toyota dealers to save money.

That one has more comprehensive servicing than mine had. Pads and rotors were just replaced. Rotors resurfaced at 26K, 51K and 55K. These rotors definitely need to be replaced if they are being resurfaced multiple. Might need a 4 wheel alignment done. I had to have mine done after I bough it.

Mine had only had the 10K service done at 7,150 miles and the 15K and 20K service done at 12,586. Nothing after that before I bought it.

I got the 30K mile service done at the Lexus dealer immediately after I bought it. Cost me about $580. Expect the 60K service to cost about $1,000 to $1,200 and about $750-900 at a reputable mechanic.
I got it from https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/history I'll look into the carfax also. Thank you for providing the info on the maintenance costs.
jeverett72 (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 05:47 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

I got it from https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/history I'll look into the carfax also. Thank you for providing the info on the maintenance costs.
https://www.alhendricksontoyota.com/...e1bl3d5011805/

Is this the car? If so the CarFax shows three "minor" accidents and one accident with "moderate" damage. Definitely get it inspected. The Lexus dealer will definitely list all of its faults in order to get you to buy one of their used cars LOL. If it doesn't have any frame damage then I would use those to negotiate the price. My previous car had been rear ended and the CarFax listed it as "moderate" damage. The entire rear bumper needed to be replaced the driver side rear quarter panel needed to have dent removal and be repainted just to give you an idea. A rear end accidents is better than a front end accident.

This one was also owned in NJ for a couple of years. Not a deal breaker to me but the inspection should reveal if there's any rust.

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 05:56 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

I like this one in Ft. Lauderdale a lot. No accidents, Florida owned, only 50K miles.

https://www.northfortlauderdalesubar...706a235669.htm

This one in Lakeland FL is nice too. No accidents.

https://www.fieldsbmwlakeland.com/us...05f3c88b4d.htm

I keep thinking of going from a 2017 Jeep Patriot to a GS. No intention of being rude to any Jeep owners but OMG what a tremendous upgrade! After you buy you will think to yourself, "How did I ever own anything but a Lexus?"

Last edited by jeverett72; 06-05-22 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 06:04 PM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

OH NICE I just noticed that you are looking at Riviera Red too. The Riviera Red is pretty rare and they switched to Matador Red Mica in 2014 or 2015 I think. It looks GREAT in the sun. It turns bright red metallic. I am in love with the color.

I would say go for it! But I am biased. Even after a year I still look forward to driving it, even for short trips. I still occasionally go in the garage randomly and look at it LOL. The front and rear wheel flares are really nice.
My ES350 is a 2013, and it is Matador Red Mica.

I can vouch for the paint really radiating it's depth in direct sun. The following photos were taken less than a minute apart from each other.

Shady side

Sunny side
The following 2 users liked this post by ptthere:
jeverett72 (06-05-22), olmk (06-05-22)
Old 06-05-22, 06:06 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ptthere
My ES350 is a 2013, and it is Matador Red Mica.

I can vouch for the paint really radiating it's depth in direct sun. The following photos were taken less than a minute apart from each other.

Shady side

Sunny side
Nice rims!! Lexus has great shades of red for sure.

Quick Reply: how much would you pay for a 2013 ES-350?