ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Coolant leak ( possibly head gasket ? )

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 06:37 PM
ESGETIT
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak ( possibly head gasket ? )

Hey all, I recently joined the Lexus fam by purchasing my 2013 lexus es 350.

I’ve owned the car for about 2 weeks now and just hit the 94k mile mark.

Today I brought my car by a mechanic to check over the vehicle and he noticed a coolant leak which he said was a blown head gasket. Has anybody experienced this issue and how much was the cost to fix ? Also, from your perspective how serious you would you say the leak is based on the photos ?

I haven’t noticed the car overheating at all by looking at the Temperature gauge which is a silver lining for me.

i took some photos for y’all to see, these photos were taken from underneath the car.

Old 07-07-22, 05:16 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

My god, that does look like a leaking head gasket. And no driveability issues to go with it? No check engine lights, misfires? It’s not overheating? I guess if it’s leaking just outside the cylinder head area - and NOT INSIDE the cylinder - you perhaps could keep driving it and top up the coolant as needed, but that sucks to do. Can you return the car? Because to fix that is a HUGE deal. That’s a big repair. Intake has to come off, exhaust manifolds, timing cover and chains (BIG JOB), and then never mind the heads. And then you have to wonder...did this thing get hot and warp the head? Is the head cracked? Do you need a new head/heads?

So, that’s why I’m saying return it. Or drive it and see if you can live with it. But I feel bad for you...you buy yourself a low mileage reliable car and right away you discover THIS. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I imagine that’s a $2,500 dollar job? Get an estimate from the mechanic that did your inspection, maybe he can cut you a deal or something.
Old 07-07-22, 10:39 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

And hope that the coolant doesn't get into a cylinder... Happened to me in a '66 Corvette and bent the piston connecting rod resulting in an engine rebuild $$$. Water doesn't compress...

GOOD LUCK mate...
Old 07-07-22, 05:49 PM
ESGETIT
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ty for the responses

Thank you for your response she’s. I haven’t been dealing with any issues that go along with this leak but I’ve been keeping my eye on the engine temp gauge and everything seems normal for now.

the problem is troubling though and scaring the life out of me right now. I bought this car after much research on reliable cars and it does bum me out that my fears comes to fruition.

i cannot return the car as I am passed the return period.

i will keep y’all updated on any repairs / what I choose to do moving forward.
Old 07-07-22, 06:05 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

You should clean it and see the rate of leak.

If you're lucky, it might have been already fixed by the previous owner and its just what is left over before the leak.
Old 07-07-22, 09:13 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

1) Get the engine professionally cleaned and then see where (which head) the coolant is leaking.
2) Open the radiator cap (on the radiator, not the overflow bottle). If it looks like a creamy strawberry milkshake in there you have a head gasket leak.
3) Look at the oil dipstick. If the level of the oil is above the full mark and it looks pinkish, water is getting into the engine.

If you see 2) or 3) above do not drive the car and have a mechanic take the heads off. Hopefully it is just one side. You need to cheak the reason for the leak at 94k miles. Either the head is warped or cracked.

You need to fix this before you use the are anymore otherwise the problem will get even more expensive. Also maybe get a lawyer to call the dealer who sold you the car. The picture shows the leak has been there for a while. Perhaps a couple of hundred dollars for a mean sounding lawyer to call the dealer is worth it.

Good luck.