ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tire Time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 01:16 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Hello friends, sorry I've been absent for a few days but the wife had surgery on both eyes and then injured her back picking up a vacuum and is now in so much pain, doc has relegated her to bedrest for the next couple of weeks.. so anyway I've been taking care of her. Anyway, a few of you asked me to report back with what tire I selected for my ES. After a whole lot of on line research, I decided to go with another set of Pirelli's.. the P7 AS PLUS 3. I currently have the Centurato P7 Plus on my car right now and decided that I really liked them until they started riding firm just recently. What's the old saying? If it aint broke, don't fix it. lol So I got several quotes for the Pirelli's that ranged from about 875 to over 1225.00 ( these are out the door prices ). One local chain gave me an all in price of 804 dollars. That was the cheapest quote I received. Can't comment on the ride quality yet since the tires will be delivered to the store in the next day or two then I'll have them installed. Just want to take a second to thank you all for your recommendations and opinions. I truly appreciate it.
Old 08-17-22, 10:07 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Heh, on a related note, when is a good time to change the TPS sensors in the wheels?
============================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 08-17-22, 12:08 PM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

The TPMS will usually last at least 10 years. It is necessary to at least break the front bead to replace them. If nearing 10 years or more on current sensors, it may save a bit on labor charges to replace them slightly early when installing new tires, as they are already off the car.
Old 08-17-22, 05:28 PM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems this thread is already fleshed out a bit, but I'll add my two cents.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I've had good luck with longevity from reputable tire brands. It's the cheap no-name tire brands that i have had problems with in the "three years or less" category. I ran a set of Michelins for 7 years with no issues.

That said, all the tires you listed are great tires. From my experieexperI'd say the Michelins are the best overall, the Goodyears provide a pleasant ride, but the Pirelli's provide excellent grip and feedback (a bit stiffer sidewall though). I prefer the handling of the Pirellis over the Goodyears but the Goodyears were more comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (08-18-22)
Old 09-10-22, 11:35 AM
TopLexus35
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Thanks bc for your reply... I have no complaints about my Pirellis.. Ride / noise, neither was an issue... I guess I started noticed they were riding a little rough a few months ago.. Still not bad and might very well go back with another set.. I always just get curious to see if I can find an even " smoother " tire every time t his comes up..The truth of the matter is I just hate to get rid of a set of tires that still have 7/32's tread left, but now this "rule " about replacing them at 6 years of age has me befuddled. Thanks for your reply bc, I appreciate it.
get Michelin Primacy MXV4, I got them at discount tire, but now my car shakes at 70mph on blacktop roads, Lexus did road force balance too, but it’s still there, they drove the car up above highway speed and said it was smooth.
Old 09-10-22, 12:44 PM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TopLexus35
get Michelin Primacy MXV4, I got them at discount tire, but now my car shakes at 70mph on blacktop roads, Lexus did road force balance too, but it’s still there, they drove the car up above highway speed and said it was smooth.
If you have struts or arm bushings going out, it can lead to tire checking and all sorts of mannerless feedback from your tires while driving.
Old 09-11-22, 06:38 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I know many who mention the 6 year rule, but really they have to be inspected. While you have the Pirellis (as do I), Michelin says their tires should be replaced at 10 years, not 6. They recommend inspections after 6 years and if all ok, continue.

Like you I am retired, and I don 't drive as if I am competing in the Daytona 500. I would have no issue using tires beyond 6 years (and have done so on previous car.)
Old 09-11-22, 11:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Hello friends, sorry I've been absent for a few days but the wife had surgery on both eyes and then injured her back picking up a vacuum and is now in so much pain, doc has relegated her to bedrest for the next couple of weeks.. so anyway I've been taking care of her. Anyway, a few of you asked me to report back with what tire I selected for my ES. After a whole lot of on line research, I decided to go with another set of Pirelli's.. the P7 AS PLUS 3. I currently have the Centurato P7 Plus on my car right now and decided that I really liked them until they started riding firm just recently. What's the old saying? If it aint broke, don't fix it. lol So I got several quotes for the Pirelli's that ranged from about 875 to over 1225.00 ( these are out the door prices ). One local chain gave me an all in price of 804 dollars. That was the cheapest quote I received. Can't comment on the ride quality yet since the tires will be delivered to the store in the next day or two then I'll have them installed. Just want to take a second to thank you all for your recommendations and opinions. I truly appreciate it.
I am glad you did not go with those Goodyear's. I have the P7 Plus 3's on 2 cars. You will love them!!
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (09-17-22)
Old 09-11-22, 11:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am glad you did not go with those Goodyear's, and try to fix it. lol!. I have the P7 Plus 3's on 2 cars. You will love them!!

Old 09-12-22, 07:43 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

There seems to be a decent review here: https://tiredepth.com/tire-review/pi...how-good-is-it

I'm gonna get new tires for my 2014 ES/UL and have the Centuatos currently also. Reading the review, I'll go with the new Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3. I prefer as quiet a tire as I can get.

Thanks for the info!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kijug:
lji (10-01-22), Poppa (09-17-22)
Old 10-30-22, 08:23 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Poppa, Now that you have had the P7 AS Plus 3's for a few months I would be very interested in your feedback. Strongly considering this tire. (Did you get the V Rated?) Thx!
Old 10-31-22, 06:29 AM
bartlett
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had a vicious wreck due to 6 year old tires. Replace them now! You will be glad you did!

Last edited by bartlett; 10-31-22 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Photo added
Old 10-31-22, 07:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by bartlett
Just had a vicious wreck due to 6 year old tires. Replace them now! You will be glad you did!
How many miles were on them and what was their tread depth?

Hope everyone's ok.
Old 10-31-22, 09:05 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, that isn't gonna buff out ...
=============================================================
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Old 10-31-22, 09:58 AM
bartlett
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike728,

They had approximately 60,000 miles. They also had plenty of tread, but I don’t know the exact depth. I was alone in the car when the right front gave out on a toll road. The car made an immediate 90 degree right directly into a solid concrete wall at 75 mph. Fortunately my Lexus had all the right safety features and I was not hurt. Thanks for asking!

Quick Reply: Tire Time?