ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tire Time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 10:39 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Tire Time?

Hello friends, couple of quick questions for you. How many of you subscribe to the rule that regardless of how much tread is left on your tires, you should replace them at 6 years of age. I ask because I am at that point right now. I've been running a set of Pirilli's since 2016. Tread life is still very good, 7/32'nds all the way around. They only have 30K on them, and my untrained eyes do not see any tire rot. But after doing a little on line research, I've read that just because I don't see any tire rot, that doesn't mean that there's not something going on inside the tire. I will say the Pirelli's have been a good riding, low noise tire, but I have also noticed that they are beginning to ride a little "firmer" lately.. Tire's feel hard.. So replace or not to replace. I only ask now because in the next two months we'll be taking a couple of 2K mile round trips. Also, while I have no issues with the Pirilli's, if I do replace them I'm thinking of trying a different tire, with soft ride and low road noise being my two most important features. Some of those I'm considering are: Yokohama Avid Ascend LX, either the Goodyear MaxLife or Assurance comfort drive, Michelin MXM4.. I'd appreciate your thoughts and or recommendations... Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Poppa; 07-28-22 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-28-22, 01:59 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Based on your earlier review of the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos I bought a set for the boss's Honda. I have to say that I am very happy with the ride and performance of these tires and also the cost of 4 that I bought at Sam's Club. Costco does not sell these tires in Pennsylvania. I have the Michelin's on my 2019 and don't have an opinion plus or minus with them as I only have 8500 miles on the car in nearly four years. I use the Honda mostly and in the summer the Corvette. One tire that you might at least research for your Lexus is Continental Extreme Contact. Not cheap...
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 03:43 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I like changing my tires once every 2 years. At the end of summer I'm beginning to research latest tire reviews and looking around, and by the end of October or so (before winter sets in) I'm buying fresh set. Could probably stretch them for another year or maybe two but as tire wears down its wet road handling qualities beginning to diminish pretty quickly and I don't want to find myself driving in the bad weather on the questionable tires. Another thing, I like softer tires with good wet road and snow traction and this kind of tires doesn't last too long anyway. Over the years I was using Goodyear Assurance Tripletred, Hankook Optimo, Michelin Primacy A/S, Michelin Primacy MXV4, Continental Pure Contact LS and now I'm thinking about Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. I went through 4 different Avalons and now ES 350 and my 2 year rule is still standing.
Poppa (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 06:32 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Thanks bc for your reply... I have no complaints about my Pirellis.. Ride / noise, neither was an issue... I guess I started noticed they were riding a little rough a few months ago.. Still not bad and might very well go back with another set.. I always just get curious to see if I can find an even " smoother " tire every time t his comes up..The truth of the matter is I just hate to get rid of a set of tires that still have 7/32's tread left, but now this "rule " about replacing them at 6 years of age has me befuddled. Thanks for your reply bc, I appreciate it.
Old 07-28-22, 06:34 PM
Poppa
Instructor

BB9, just curious, do you rack up that many miles in 2 years or do you just feel better about replacing them every two years, even if you don't have a lot of miles on them. Pretty obvious from your reply you wouldn't ever trust a tire that was 6 years old.
Old 07-29-22, 12:51 AM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
BB9, just curious, do you rack up that many miles in 2 years or do you just feel better about replacing them every two years, even if you don't have a lot of miles on them. Pretty obvious from your reply you wouldn't ever trust a tire that was 6 years old.
Nah, no crazy mileage here. It is mostly my driving style and what it feels like. I mean, it annoys the heck out of me if one of my tires is 1 PSI lower than it should be or if my wheel alignment is not perfect. I don't care if it is in the green range, my wheel alignment must be perfect. Never mind tire getting worn. LOL. And don't forget about aging, tires are aging even if you don't drive too much. Another thing, because of the nature of my work about 90% of my driving is at night, snow or rain I am on the road as well. I want to be as comfortable and as safe as possible. That's why I treat my tires, brakes, windshield wipers and headlights as a critical components and replacing things more often than I could. Just personal preferences.
Poppa (07-29-22)
Old 07-30-22, 04:19 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

Tire Rack has the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 #1 out of 57 in your size. It is a fairly new tire and has a 60,000 mile warranty. In review their conclusion:
  • Does everything well with no real compromises.
Tire Rack runs rebates usually about $100 off a set of four regularly. Currently none but in your circumstances you can wait.
Old 07-30-22, 04:49 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I've seen a few cars with those Michelin's come into my friends service station this past year. They definitely have an interesting tread pattern. When I first saw them I figured they might be a bit noisy, but after talking with 3 different owners they all said they give a very smooth quiet ride. They are not cheap, but all the reviews are great. Tire prices and availability are tough this year.
Old 07-30-22, 06:32 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The concern regarding the replacing of the tires is a difficult one to dissect. In my opinion as long as you can see no real reason to replace them (no tire rot, etc) I probably wouldn't. However, understanding your uncomfortableness with keeping them and should you decide to replace them, we put the Goodyear Assurance Comforttread on our Odyssey minivan about 40k miles ago and are very pleased with them. Should you go with that tire I would be curious to know how they do on a Lexus as they might be a choice for me when my 17 ES needs new rubber? (It currently rides on Michelin Primacys). BTW the other tires mentioned are good choices as well.
Poppa (08-03-22)
Old 07-30-22, 01:26 PM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a fan of Continental tires with their DWS technology. Looks like the PureContact is the only line available in the R18 size for the ES, but the True Contacts are available for the R17 size.
Poppa (08-03-22)
Old 07-30-22, 08:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

On a very quite car like Lexus the DWS and Extreme Contact, is noisy and roars. I had a set, Sold them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/971892

Poppa (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 01:40 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
The concern regarding the replacing of the tires is a difficult one to dissect. In my opinion as long as you can see no real reason to replace them (no tire rot, etc) I probably wouldn't. However, understanding your uncomfortableness with keeping them and should you decide to replace them, we put the Goodyear Assurance Comforttread on our Odyssey minivan about 40k miles ago and are very pleased with them. Should you go with that tire I would be curious to know how they do on a Lexus as they might be a choice for me when my 17 ES needs new rubber? (It currently rides on Michelin Primacys). BTW the other tires mentioned are good choices as well.
Hi Fillykonk... thanks for the reply. My wife is having eye surgery this week so tire shopping is on the back burner for a week or two, but I do think I am leaning toward replacing them later this month, and I will sure keep you in the look.. Right now I would probably get another set of Pirelli's or Goodyears. But if I go with good year it's probably going to be the goodyear comfortdrive based on some reviews I've read.. By the way, how do you like the Michelin's on your ES.... neighbor mentioned to me that I would like MXMV4'S. Not too worried about it, any of these mentioned would do a good job I think... Thanks again for your post.. I appreciate it.

Fillykonk (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 06:57 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Fillykonk... thanks for the reply. My wife is having eye surgery this week so tire shopping is on the back burner for a week or two, but I do think I am leaning toward replacing them later this month, and I will sure keep you in the look.. Right now I would probably get another set of Pirelli's or Goodyears. But if I go with good year it's probably going to be the goodyear comfortdrive based on some reviews I've read.. By the way, how do you like the Michelin's on your ES.... neighbor mentioned to me that I would like MXMV4'S. Not too worried about it, any of these mentioned would do a good job I think... Thanks again for your post.. I appreciate it.
Thanks for your kind remarks Poppa. The Primacy's (OEM equipment) have been good tires and I would not hesitate to buy them again (or their equivalent) the next time around. They are wearing well at 28k miles but that includes rotating them every 5k. OTOH the Goodyears have a deeper tread for a longer wear-factor and as mentioned their ride on our minivan is very comfortable (we also rotate them at 5k) which piques my interest as to how they would perform on the Lexus. I will be interested in hearing what you eventually end up with and how you like them.
Poppa (08-06-22)
Old 08-03-22, 08:33 AM
Racerd
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are noticing an degradation in ride quality, the tires are talking to you. Tires are the ONLY part of your car that come in contact with the road. They impact not only the ride, but handling, stopping and acceleration.

And yes, many don't like the "6 year" guidance to replace a tire. "they look fine" or "there's plenty of tread left".. got it, heard it, lived it.. but as you say, you've noticed a performance degradation. Some people never notice till their tires are bald and suddenly they hit the car stopped in front of them or slide off a slick road. That said, for some, tires will "age out" before they "wear out". Guess you should drive some more

imho, Michelin makes the best tires.. and often this is reflected in their cost. The attributes you prefer (quiet ride) might be more important than mine (handling/cornering) so I wont suggest a tire. If you've enjoyed your Pirelli's, fire up a new set and enjoy

bc6152 (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 08:48 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks bc for your reply... I have no complaints about my Pirellis.. Ride / noise, neither was an issue... I guess I started noticed they were riding a little rough a few months ago.. Still not bad and might very well go back with another set.. I always just get curious to see if I can find an even " smoother " tire every time t his comes up..The truth of the matter is I just hate to get rid of a set of tires that still have 7/32's tread left, but now this "rule " about replacing them at 6 years of age has me befuddled. Thanks for your reply bc, I appreciate it.
Poppa-I too have the PIrelllis and have had no problems with them.

A few months ago I did some research on how long tires should last, and while some people said you should replace after 5 years due to age, Michelin themselves said 10 years (assuming there are no issues with the tires).

You live in the south, whereas I live in Canada. Not sure if cold weather vs hot weather makes a difference. I would guess tires last a little less in a hot climate, but have never really looked into it.
Poppa (08-06-22)

Quick Reply: Tire Time?