ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer Tech Left Oil Filler Cap Off ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-22, 08:08 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tech Left Oil Filler Cap Off ES 350

It's a '17 ES 350 with about 23,000 miles. I had my oil changed Friday afternoon at the dealers shop. I raise the hood on my cars after parking them in the garage. When I did it this time I noticed the oil filler cap was missing. I had driven it about ten miles in hard rainy conditions - mostly on I-95 at around 75 mph. It was also parked at a restaurant near the dealer for about an hour in light rain, humid conditions. It did not have any oil on the engine or dripping underneath. There is an oil spot on the under hood insulation. The oil on the dipstick is still slightly overfull. It did not seem to get any rain water under the hood. I have a rag over the open filler now.

Would the moisture and humidity in the air affect the oil in the engine?
What should the dealer do?

Thanks very much.

Old 09-17-22, 11:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

have them give you a brand new cap and change your engine and oil filter again. dust would have entered into the engine by driving without the cap and the oil is contaminated.

Have them clean or replace the engine insulation that has oil injected into it.

Photo document with all the evidence to the dealer formally and say any future issue related to the incident that you’ll be looking at them to be liable.

Do not use a rag. Parts of it can get pulled in.

Last edited by 703; 09-18-22 at 02:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (09-18-22)
Old 09-18-22, 02:33 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I do not think your oil is affected, but they probably owe you a couple of free oil changes. You caught it early.

As a mechanic of over 40 years with freinds who are dealership techs, it does not matter where you get your oil changed. Always check the car before driving away or change your own oil. The majority of techs on the lube racks are new and inexperienced. You will never see the experienced techs doing oil changes. No money in it. Although rare, the internet auto forums all have stories of blown engines (loose plug), overfilling etc.

Very hard to get personalized service by a technician at a dealership, service writer/manager yes but they do not touch your car.

I realize not an option for some folks to look their car over. Some small independent shops will cater to elderly/disabled folks. Also, with small shops you may be surprised at how far a $20 tip to the mechanic will go. I do not perform my own tire balance, front end alignment etc., but I always tip the technician who performed the work at the small indy shop I go to. Maybe because I am (was) in the trade and know how tough it can be.

Old 09-18-22, 04:56 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 973 Likes on 733 Posts

Make them change the oil/filter and put the new cap on.
Old 09-18-22, 11:53 AM
JRandy
Rookie

Default Oil Change Error

Originally Posted by 703
have them give you a brand new cap and change your engine and oil filter again. dust would have entered into the engine by driving without the cap and the oil is contaminated.

Have them clean or replace the engine insulation that has oil injected into it.

Photo document with all the evidence to the dealer formally and say any future issue related to the incident that you’ll be looking at them to be liable.

Do not use a rag. Parts of it can get pulled in.
Thank you for your excellent advice. I hadn't thought about pictures so I took one of each of the oil spot and the open fill. Should they send a flat bed tow for it?

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-22, 06:46 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

So what did the dealer say and do?
Old 09-21-22, 11:30 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
So what did the dealer say and do?
They sent a flat bed tow for it. They did an oil and filter change and cleaned the insulation pad and of course replaced the filler cap. I requested a different, well qualified tech with a good reputation. They say the original tech has a good reputation though and he doesn't know how he forgot to replace the cap.
I wasn't there for the redo. On the original, while I don't stand at the window and watch the whole procedure, I do look out a few times. This wasn't done in the same area that usually works on it. I noticed there was a man sitting out of the way but nearby and kibitzing with the tech. So I think he was distracted and when I told the Service Advisor this she said the tech said he was distracted.
Anyway, assuming no damage was done to the engine, it all seems fine. The pad looks as good as new and they must have covered the engine while they cleaned the pad as there was no residue on it. As was suggested I took a picture of the oil spot on the pad and of the open filler hole.
They drove it back and I offered to take the driver back to the dealership so they wouldn't have to send another car and driver.
I like this dealership very much and if I buy another Lexus I will probably buy it from them. I have had cars serviced there for eight years and this is the first time it wasn't perfect. On the original they also did not include a report on the multi-point check. I like those and also told them about it being missing and they included it on the redo. Some time ago, on the multi-point check, they found the battery was not up to snuff and replaced it under warranty.
So that's my story and it seems to have come out well. Thanks to all those who responded to my request for suggestions.
Old 09-22-22, 01:19 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Good outcome. Always pay to check after a
service that all is Ok!

Old 09-24-22, 06:50 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad it worked out. Honest mistakes happen no matter what dealership or indep shop you go to. Its how they rectify the problem or issue after. Seems like you got a good dealer who did everything they could to make you happy.