ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 09:16 AM
Sean816
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV Axle

So I am having some clucking from my left front wheel area. My suspicion is that it is my CV Axle. The Lexus part is insanely expensive, so I am curious if anyone has had any luck with aftermarket parts or anything else?

2014 ES 300H 251K
Old 10-05-22, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

All aftermarket axles are levels of suck, Cardone the worst in my experience. Rockauto only has one brand for your car, GSP I've used that brand it's been okay. Expect the aftermarket part to last 50-100K miles or if it's a Cardone it could be bad out of the box.

I always paint the exposed metal bits.
Old 10-05-22, 09:41 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>The Lexus part is insanely expensive
isn't an ES basically a Camry? How do Toyota prices compare?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 10-05-22, 09:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

$650 retail from Toyota.
Old 10-05-22, 12:47 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

It's funny, I think I'm having the same issue. Also the left side.

I thought it was the strut mount, but getting under the car and moving things around, looks like the CV Axle on that side that's clicking. The one on the passenger side was replaced by the dealer under warranty.

I'm not even sure if you can get a true "new" CV Axle from the Lexus dealership anymore. Also, even though Toyota/Lexus is high quality, I've had several factory CV axle issues at low miles.

I have heard that you actually want to buy a refurbished CV axle, not a more expensive "new" one. The "new" ones are almost all Chinese. The refurbished are actually made by Toyota. So it might be a situation where the "cheap" one is the better one to buy.

Old 10-05-22, 12:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Toyota does sell reman axles for some models, if anyone knows how to look up part numbers for those let us know. Reman aftermarket axles are generally awful.
Old 10-05-22, 01:15 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm also wondering if my clunking noise is the wheel hub.
Old 10-06-22, 10:45 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Your original lasted 251k. Aftermarket ones won’t.
Old 10-17-22, 05:40 PM
mylexigirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’am having the same issue with my 2018 es350 which the dealer won’t acknowledge this is the problem(i’am under warranty)if you look at my recent post ( today) October 17th please read what I posted.good luck
Old 10-18-22, 09:41 AM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it seems you had this issue since you replaced the tires at 28k. was this done at the same dealer. did your mechanic identified any torn cv boots which are usual symptoms of cv joint noises. in previous posts you mentioned about radio issues.as well. was it addressed. if you are not convinced you should lake it to another Lexus dealer in your area.
Old 10-19-22, 10:32 AM
mylexigirl
Driver School Candidate

YESKAY same issue the problems is my partner “likes” this dealer I already made an appointment with a outside mechanic who just by listening to it stated it was the cv joint.when I mentioned this to the dealer they “ claimed” they did not think this was the problem.they have the car now ....against my better judgment. I have been angry since it has not been fixed and my partner is a dumb FCK thinking it will be.
Old 10-19-22, 11:12 AM
mylexigirl
Driver School Candidate

So here is an up date once again the dealer “ claimed” to have removed the axle and put a “new” one on and took the car for a ride.he stated that he still hears the same noise so it’s not that.I don’t know weather to believe him( I really do not) my own mechanic stated that’s what it is I have never used this mechanic but he comes with excellent reviews from friends.if he changes the axle and it does not work i’am out a lot of money someone please help i’am getting sick because of all the bull****
Old 10-19-22, 11:15 AM
mylexigirl
Driver School Candidate

YESKAY yes the radio is fine now thanks it’s the other problem that is literally making me very sick.
Old 10-21-22, 06:52 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by mylexigirl
So here is an up date once again the dealer “ claimed” to have removed the axle and put a “new” one on and took the car for a ride.he stated that he still hears the same noise so it’s not that.I don’t know weather to believe him( I really do not) my own mechanic stated that’s what it is I have never used this mechanic but he comes with excellent reviews from friends.if he changes the axle and it does not work i’am out a lot of money someone please help i’am getting sick because of all the bull****
I had a friend that had this same problem in their ES. The CV Axel was bad, but there also was a further problem inside the Trans Axel (Transmission). The failure was both the Drive axel and Transmission Transaxle gears meeting the Gear in the Trans housing and gears on the end of the Drive axel shaft gears that go inside the Transmission. We found a used low miles Transmission with the drive axel. replaced both and the problem was gone.

Also some how the U joint bracket that mounts/holds the drive axel had backed out the mounting screws. We think that due to it backing out, the drive shaft axel was wobbling and moving around and caused the damage of both the Trans axel gears and drive shaft gears. This has been seen also on quite a few Avalon's too. I would tell everyone to keep a eye on the U bracket mount to be sure it stays tight down there. When the old Trans was removed upon inspection, sure enough the gears/bearings were in fact damaged in up inside the Trans unit.
Old 10-21-22, 09:40 AM
mylexigirl
Driver School Candidate

JgScott thanks for all that information.I really believe the dealer knows exactly what’s wrong and is not being truthful,being a female makes it worse.I plan on taking it to an independent mechanic although I feel Lexus should be honest and make the repair since it it under warranty. I’am really at wits end over this whole situation I also plan on calling Lexus corporate to make a complaint. The dealer informed me that they changed the axle to see if it would work and “ claimed” it did not and put back my old Axlebecause” Lexus will not pay for it if that’s not the problem”....I say bull**** thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply: CV Axle