ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Picked up 2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition on 01/12/2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 05:35 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picked up 2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition on 01/12/2016

I must admit, when I was trying to see the differences, I kind of thought it seems exactly the same.

I have lived with the car for a little while now and love it, I have a list of things that have improved to make the experience nicer.

I was thinking of putting a little detail around the improvements and posting for others if that would be of interest?

I went from:

2013 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition
Exterior: Silver Lining Metallic
Interior: Light Gray Semi-Aniline Leather
Wheels: 18” x 7.5JJ 5-Twin Spoke Aluminum Alloy

To:

2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition
Exterior: Eminent White Pearl
Interior: Black Embossed Semi-Aniline Leather w/Linear Wood
Wheels: 18” x 7.5JJ 5-Twin Spoke Aluminum Alloy
Old 01-23-16, 05:54 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to see the details...
Old 01-23-16, 09:16 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by chewbach
Would love to see the details...

I may have left out some small things, but hopefully this will help people who are trying to make a decision on purchase/lease.

Grill:
I have to start off by saying that I posted in another thread that when I first saw the new Grill, I thought it was a bit much, I can say that my view has quickly changed and when I saw my 2013 next to the 2016, the Grill just became an instant hit for me, don’t know how or why, maybe it was the white car, not sure, but I like it.

Fog Lights
Tail Light
Tail Pipe Tips
Extra Leather on the console
Extra Satin Chrome Trim on the Window Switch plate

I don’t think it makes much sense to talk about these items as they are pretty obviously different, you kind of notice them right away, I like all of them, at first I thought the triangle like chrome around the fog lights was just way too trendy looking, but I think it fits in with the new Grill.

Dual LED Headlights:
Cool to have the latest and greatest, but if you had the previous top of the line headlights, I don’t think you will notice a difference.

New Multi display:
The new Multi display between the gauges is just brilliant, it’s more colorful, but most of all it is just a lot more useful, it can display lots of good information so you don’t have to look away to the Nav screen. It can display Nav info, but one of the things that I always did with my 2007 and 2013 was press the Media button when my iPod was playing a song that I wanted to know the title or artist, now I can have the Multi Display always displaying what’s currently playing, I love it, really nice!!!

Smoother Gear Shifter:
Besides having the new Gear Shifter **** and Leather boot (Not sure if it is actual leather), the Gear shifter is so buttery smooth, I mean it feels like true Luxury and Quality.

Seats:
I have the Ultra Luxury Edition so I am not sure if this applies to all cars, but the New Cross Stitched leather seats are softer more cushsioned and more comfortable, My backside thanks Lexus for that.

Rear view mirror:
This is one of those things that don’t seem like a big deal, but the new re-shaped mirror is shaped so that it actually covers the rear window better and is easier to set for perfect visibility.

Auto high Beams:
I think I read somewhere that some older cars had this, I know it was not an option on my 2007 or 2013, it actually works pretty good so I like it.

Wood trim:
Non-North America cars always had the extra wood trim instead of the silly black on the door that closes over the cup holder, it’s nice that we get it now, also I got the “Linear Dark Mocha wood trim” which is different and I like it.

Ride comfort:
This one is Big for me, I was explaining to someone that the cars with the smaller 17” rims had a much softer ride than my UL with 18” 5-Twin Spoke wheels, Well Now somehow they have been able to give the car with the 18” wheels a much more supple ride, it feels great!!

Shift lights:
Not a big item but very noticeable, the new Shift lights (Gear/Drive indicators) are nice and bright, again a nice touch.

Turn signal stark:
This is another item that got the “buttery smooth Treatment”, it has a soft click now instead of a plasticky clack.

Steering wheel:
The New Steering wheel is really nice, there is more padding at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions, really nice, the only thing that I noticed is that the heating is not as pronounced as before, I could be wrong but I think the extra padding is the culprit.

Mark Levinson sound system:
Every Lexus I have owned has had the Mark Levinson sound system and every one has improved upon the last, this one is no exception, as amazing as the previous system in the 2013 was, this one is just better, I have been an Audiophile my entire life and this system does not disappoint.

Extra enter keys:
The 2 enter keys on the Remote Touch are really useful, the only down side is that because I didn’t have them before I have to remember they are there, once I start using them I always think…This is much better.

Remote Start:
This is a Win/Lose Bitter/Sweet item for me, I love auto start and the problem that I have had with it has always been the range and that it only runs for 10 minutes. Well, bad new is that it still only runs for 10 minutes, the good news is that you can start the car from anywhere now as it can be done from an app on your smartphone, it can be a little slow, but it works, you can also check the status of some items like Fuel, Windows, Doors, Trunk and other things….Cool, only issue is that you can’t use Touch ID on your iPhone, you have to use a Pin…Silly!

Media Sources re-arrange:
This one made me smile, you can actually re-arrange your Media Sources, this is big for me because I can choose the order that my iPod, iPhone, Aux and are displayed….Good Stuff.

Drive mode ****:
This is not an improvement but I just wanted to comment on this, the **** is not as positive as it was on my 2013 when you push down on it to go back to normal mode from sport or ECO mode, it is a little mushy, it’s not a big deal, but this a button that you done want to have to look at the multi display to see if you engaged it or not, but that is just my opinion.

Touch/proximity interior lights:
This is one that I didn’t think I would like as when I read about it, I kept thinking that this would be easy to activate and leave on by mistake, well that has not happen and they are pretty cool.

New Navigation screen layout:
The Navigation Screen has a sharper look to it, It may have been like this on the 2015 (not sure), but My 2013 didn’t have the same cursor and more modern looking icons/buttons.

Lane Departure Assist:
This feature is something that I wanted for a long time, again, I didn’t have this on my 2013, so, if this is not new, I apologize.

Pre-Collision System (PCS):
So, I forgot all about this feature until a Pedestrian ran across the street in front of me and the system activated and displayed a message (Pedestrian Braking) in the multi display window, I guess it works….:roll eyes:

01-28-2016 - Edited to merge these from later post:

A few other small items that I didn’t mention:

New Gauges:
The 2016 has new Gauges, they don’t make a lot of difference if you ask me but they are different, the only one I don’t like is the Fuel Gauge which just seems to have a short needle, I preferred the 2013 better (Only the Fuel Gauge though)

Visors:
My 2007 had Better Quality visors as they felt more solid and significant than my 2013 which had visors that felt like cardboard, I am happy to report that the 2016 has bought back the higher quality more solid feeling visors (Small thing but, I like the more quality feel)

2 USB Ports:
My 2013 had only 1 usb port, the 2016 has 2.

03-01-2016:
Front Center Armrest:
I held off on commenting on this item until I was convinced it was not just because the car was brand new. I have noticed that the Leather on the Center Front Armrest is a lot more robust, what I mean by this is that in my 2013 my elbow left a dimple on the leather very early on, In the 2016, I have noticed that it is not as prone to the dimple issue as if the material and craftsmanship is of higher quality, still very comfortable but less likely to pull apart/dimple.

Last edited by imz14u2nv; 03-01-16 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Adding Left out items from thread
Old 01-23-16, 09:21 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

thank you for the vivid pics.
Old 01-23-16, 10:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Congrats! The 2016 is a huge improvement IMHO
Old 01-24-16, 03:45 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Oh man, all the little things add up. The pre-2016 ES had a lot of irritating bits that felt out of place in a car costing that much. I'm glad the 2016 fixes those, especially the stiff ride. What tires are you on?

You didn't mention the rear lights. Lexus actually had the L shape on the old lights but the LEDs didn't light it up, whereas the light tubes on the new lights look great.
Old 01-24-16, 05:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Lexus does a good job with their refreshes. They seem to know what needs fixing.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-24-16 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 05:36 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you '16 owners are making me jealous!

I just couldnt get over the predator face grille so we "settled" for a '15.

Enjoy your new vehicle!
Old 01-24-16, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Lexus does a good job with their refreshes. They seem to know what needs fixing.
Yeah they do. Every Lexus I've had save for my 13 GS and 03 ES has been a refresh model now that I think of it..
Old 01-24-16, 08:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,305 Likes on 909 Posts

Good Luck with the new car. Now I want one...
Old 01-24-16, 04:47 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Congrats! The 2016 is a huge improvement IMHO
Thanks, the only thing holding me back at the moment is the snow, I hate snow!!
Old 01-24-16, 04:57 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
Oh man, all the little things add up. The pre-2016 ES had a lot of irritating bits that felt out of place in a car costing that much. I'm glad the 2016 fixes those, especially the stiff ride. What tires are you on?

You didn't mention the rear lights. Lexus actually had the L shape on the old lights but the LEDs didn't light it up, whereas the light tubes on the new lights look great.
Yes, I didn't go into detail on the Tail Lights, I just left the one liner because it is one of the first things you notice when you look around the car, and Yes, I really like them, I always liked that look on the higher end GS and LS. I have to look at the tires, I didn't pay attention.

I must admit though, I still think the Panoramic Roof Shades should be powered.

Originally Posted by bc6152
Good Luck with the new car. Now I want one...
Thanks, I think you would be very happy!!
Old 01-24-16, 06:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

congrats on your upgrade and great detailed list of improvements!
Old 01-25-16, 04:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 665 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I must admit though, I still think the Panoramic Roof Shades should be powered.
In my almost 3 years of ownership, I've never felt the need to close them. I think I'm just weird that way, as my wife closes her's all the time!

Congrats on the new '16!
Old 01-25-16, 08:04 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review points! In my tests, the new 2016 suspension tweaks on the 17" are still worth the trade of wheels if can negotiate at purchase, but agree, it's more supple no matter the wheel. The Ultra Lux is a great package minus the 18" wheels. Worth it for the upgraded leather alone.

The sound isolation seems improved in the 2016 refresh as well on test drives.

Enjoy the new ride! Lexus refresh years seem the best historically IMO aesthetically and mechanically. Glad to see they invested some to spruce up interior, the new offerings from Germany are pushing the envelope.

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv

I may have left out some small things, but hopefully this will help people who are trying to make a decision on purchase/lease.

Grill:
I have to start off by saying that I posted in another thread that when I first saw the new Grill, I thought it was a bit much, I can say that my view has quickly changed and when I saw my 2013 next to the 2016, the Grill just became an instant hit for me, don’t know how or why, maybe it was the white car, not sure, but I like it.

Fog Lights
Tail Light
Tail Pipe Tips
Extra Leather on the console
Extra Satin Chrome Trim on the Window Switch plate

I don’t think it makes much sense to talk about these items as they are pretty obviously different, you kind of notice them right away, I like all of them, at first I thought the triangle like chrome around the fog lights was just way too trendy looking, but I think it fits in with the new Grill.

Dual LED Headlights:
Cool to have the latest and greatest, but if you had the previous top of the line headlights, I don’t think you will notice a difference.

New Multi display:
The new Multi display between the gauges is just brilliant, it’s more colorful, but most of all it is just a lot more useful, it can display lots of good information so you don’t have to look away to the Nav screen. It can display Nav info, but one of the things that I always did with my 2007 and 2013 was press the Media button when my iPod was playing a song that I wanted to know the title or artist, now I can have the Multi Display always displaying what’s currently playing, I love it, really nice!!!

Smoother Gear Shifter:
Besides having the new Gear Shifter **** and Leather boot (Not sure if it is actual leather), the Gear shifter is so buttery smooth, I mean it feels like true Luxury and Quality.

Seats:
I have the Ultra Luxury Edition so I am not sure if this applies to all cars, but the New Cross Stitched leather seats are softer more cushsioned and more comfortable, My backside thanks Lexus for that.

Rear view mirror:
This is one of those things that don’t seem like a big deal, but the new re-shaped mirror is shaped so that it actually covers the rear window better and is easier to set for perfect visibility.

Auto high Beams:
I think I read somewhere that some older cars had this, I know it was not an option on my 2007 or 2013, it actually works pretty good so I like it.

Wood trim:
Non-North America cars always had the extra wood trim instead of the silly black on the door that closes over the cup holder, it’s nice that we get it now, also I got the “Linear Dark Mocha wood trim” which is different and I like it.

Ride comfort:
This one is Big for me, I was explaining to someone that the cars with the smaller 17” rims had a much softer ride than my UL with 18” 5-Twin Spoke wheels, Well Now somehow they have been able to give the car with the 18” wheels a much more supple ride, it feels great!!

Shift lights:
Not a big item but very noticeable, the new Shift lights (Gear/Drive indicators) are nice and bright, again a nice touch.

Turn signal stark:
This is another item that got the “buttery smooth Treatment”, it has a soft click now instead of a plasticky clack.

Steering wheel:
The New Steering wheel is really nice, there is more padding at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions, really nice, the only thing that I noticed is that the heating is not as pronounced as before, I could be wrong but I think the extra padding is the culprit.

Mark Levinson sound system:
Every Lexus I have owned has had the Mark Levinson sound system and every one has improved upon the last, this one is no exception, as amazing as the previous system in the 2013 was, this one is just better, I have been an Audiophile my entire life and this system does not disappoint.

Extra enter keys:
The 2 enter keys on the Remote Touch are really useful, the only down side is that because I didn’t have them before I have to remember they are there, once I start using them I always think…This is much better.

Remote Start:
This is a Win/Lose Bitter/Sweet item for me, I love auto start and the problem that I have had with it has always been the range and that it only runs for 10 minutes. Well, bad new is that it still only runs for 10 minutes, the good news is that you can start the car from anywhere now as it can be done from an app on your smartphone, it can be a little slow, but it works, you can also check the status of some items like Fuel, Windows, Doors, Trunk and other things….Cool, only issue is that you can’t use Touch ID on your iPhone, you have to use a Pin…Silly!

Media Sources re-arrange:
This one made me smile, you can actually re-arrange your Media Sources, this is big for me because I can choose the order that my iPod, iPhone, Aux and are displayed….Good Stuff.

Drive mode ****:
This is not an improvement but I just wanted to comment on this, the **** is not as positive as it was on my 2013 when you push down on it to go back to normal mode from sport or ECO mode, it is a little mushy, it’s not a big deal, but this a button that you done want to have to look at the multi display to see if you engaged it or not, but that is just my opinion.

Touch/proximity interior lights:
This is one that I didn’t think I would like as when I read about it, I kept thinking that this would be easy to activate and leave on by mistake, well that has not happen and they are pretty cool.

New Navigation screen layout:
The Navigation Screen has a sharper look to it, It may have been like this on the 2015 (not sure), but My 2013 didn’t have the same cursor and more modern looking icons/buttons.

Lane Departure Assist:
This feature is something that I wanted for a long time, again, I didn’t have this on my 2013, so, if this is not new, I apologize.

Pre-Collision System (PCS):
So, I forgot all about this feature until a Pedestrian ran across the street in front of me and the system activated and displayed a message (Pedestrian Braking) in the multi display window, I guess it works….

Quick Reply: Picked up 2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition on 01/12/2016