ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

'13 '14 '15 Suttle Differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 10:25 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '13 '14 '15 Suttle Differences

I am looking for a used ES350 and wanted to see what the subtle differences were between the model years.

Here is what I have been able to garner from this forum and the internet. I'm looking for confirmations and corrections.

1) NAV

13 Nav Traffic uses Sirius Nav data for the traffic and obviously requires Sirius subscription
14 Nav Traffic.....does it use HD radio for traffic and therefore free?
15 Nav traffic? HD or Sirius?
3-D maps and a bird's-eye view for the navigation system, traffic guidance

Any other NAV issues between MY's?
Update ability?

2) Siri Eyes Free
If i understand correctly, any of the MYs have the ability to use Siri if you activate Siri on your phone by pushing the home button and will come through the speakers on the car. However I was told Siri Eyes Free was not available (by pushing the voice button on the steering wheel) until on late '14 models. Anyone know if all '14s or just later 14 build dates?

3) Media System updates or update ability?
USB media capabilities either iphone/ipod or USB sticks?
'13 looks like only a split screen or whole screen is available for viewing NAV and media?
'15 customizable home screen (is this like the Toyo Camry and Avalon screens.....which I love), the ability to cache 15 minutes of radio broadcasts for later play and other features

4) PCS availability?
Think available on all 3 MYs but haven't seen any with it

5)Remote Start
I believe available as add on for all 3 MYs but not sure. Have not seen any with except for 15s
15 for sure available and if I understand correctly first year for remote start via app but requires ~$250/yr subscription
Read something about not having the ability to use the remote start on the key fob if you let your subscription lapse?

6) Fog light LED not until '14?

7) Any first MY bugs on the '13?

Thanks in advance for you help!!!
Old 07-21-16, 04:51 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

As a 2014 UL/ML owner, I can say:

1) NAV Traffic (and WX) - Uses XM so requires a subscription (darn, the 2016 is HD Radio and free)

2) No 3D maps

3) 2014 introduced Siri Eyes Free. Works great with my iPhone.

4) I got mine in June 2014 and have not updated the Nav yet--I will late this year with the 2016 map update (usually in Oct). 50/50 but I prefer the convenience of the maps in the car over the iPhone--for local maps in unfamiliar cities.

5) I use a 128 GB USB drive with MP3 files for music. About 8000 songs; takes Lexus about five mins before the voice activation for music is working 'cause it has to scan all the songs every time you turn on the car--wish they'd fix that.

6) I have PCS w/ DCC. I LOVE DCC. Haven't "used" PCS (that's a good thing!?) but mine has been disabled due to recall--the parts are on order and I'll get it fixed next week. I still get warnings when closing in too fast. Dunno if that is part of DCC or part of the working part of PCS.

7) Don't have/use Remote Start, but it is by subscription (at least for 2014) and I don't like paying monthly for things.

8) LED fog lights--new for 2014. About the only exterior difference between 2013 and 2014. The 2014 has a slightly "horizontal" lens inside the round lens. You have to look close.

9) 2013 bugs? Don't know of any...but that's why I waited for 2014. Only the PCS otherwise I'm enjoying the car very much.
Old 07-21-16, 05:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,293 Likes on 901 Posts

My 350 will be 4 years old in September. I have had no issues with the car to date. None...
Old 07-21-16, 09:40 PM
BSoulMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2013 ES Premium, which has NO NAV, but heated seats and Lexus Display Audio, vehicle was purchased in November 2015.

Currently paying for the XM Satellite Service. The Radio does has HD channels outside of XM subscription. I have channels like 97.1 Channel 1, 97.1 Channel 2 etc. Weird...

-Had Windows tinted 20%

- Added VIPER Remote Start System. In hindsight wished I had gotten the Lexus Add-On Remote Start (to avoid having two FOB's). The VIPER piggybacks on the OEM so I have to restart the car when the door is opened, but that is probably a good thing, so no one drives off with the car, although I am not exactly sure what would happen if I had left the key fob at home and someone attempted to drive out of its range... interesting.

- Added illuminated door sills, bought from eBay, paid Lexus dealer $141 to install.

- Added some chrome accents/moldings on the trunk, the front grille and places inside the car, I'll take some pictures and post for the group soon, I am just waiting to see it my 'computer installation project' is going to be successful or not.

- Added LED lights in most places in the car (missed the trunk, vanity, mirror, reverse lights and license plate)

- Added Rear Spoiler

Really liking the Lexus (my first one) having come from the Cadillac CTS world. I work from home, so the car sits in the driveway a lot, but I like to drive around on the weekends. My brother and cousin have also bought Lexus ES 350's in the past year or so.

Yep, there are quite a few mods that can be done with the car.

Originally Posted by Kijug

1) NAV Traffic (and WX) - Uses XM so requires a subscription (darn, the 2016 is HD Radio and free)

2) No 3D maps

4) I got mine in June 2014 and have not updated the Nav yet--I will late this year with the 2016 map update (usually in Oct). 50/50 but I prefer the convenience of the maps in the car over the iPhone--for local maps in unfamiliar cities.

5) I use a 128 GB USB drive with MP3 files for music. About 8000 songs; takes Lexus about five mins before the voice activation for music is working 'cause it has to scan all the songs every time you turn on the car--wish they'd fix that.

6) I have PCS w/ DCC. I LOVE DCC. Haven't "used" PCS (that's a good thing!?) but mine has been disabled due to recall--the parts are on order and I'll get it fixed next week. I still get warnings when closing in too fast. Dunno if that is part of DCC or part of the working part of PCS.

7) Don't have/use Remote Start, but it is by subscription (at least for 2014) and I don't like paying monthly for things.

8) LED fog lights--new for 2014. About the only exterior difference between 2013 and 2014. The 2014 has a slightly "horizontal" lens inside the round lens. You have to look close.

9) 2013 bugs? Don't know of any...but that's why I waited for 2014. Only the PCS otherwise I'm enjoying the car very much.
Old 07-22-16, 11:28 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug

2) No 3D maps

Thanks.....what is DCC?

This is good to know.....wonder if an iPod or iPhone connected via USB has the same delay?

Any 2015 owners? Nav Traffic thru HD=free or Sirius=requires subscription?

Last edited by Zipit555; 07-22-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 11:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Thanks.....what is DCC?
Dynamic Cruise Control
Old 07-22-16, 01:14 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Thanks.....what is DCC?

This is good to know.....wonder if an iPod or iPhone connected via USB has the same delay?

Any 2015 owners? Nav Traffic thru HD=free or Sirius=requires subscription?
2015 Owner (Soon to be GS) here the Nav Traffic works without Sirius but its not that useful in the Non-Nav unit.
Old 07-22-16, 02:01 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

DCC is Dynamic Cruise Control or sometimes called Radar Cruise Control. You set you MAX SPEED, say 80 MPH, and a distance of short, medium, or long, and then cruise control takes over to ensure you stay "that distance" from the car ahead of you. Your car will slow down or speed up as necessary. Depending on your speed, the short/medium/long is slightly shorter/longer, which makes sense. The only issue I have is speeding up. If someone moves out from ahead of me, the ES slowly gains speed--regardless of ECO, NORMAL, or SPORT setting. If no one is behind me, no problem. If folks are behind me I'll step on the gas a little to get going more quickly. But that's a small nit.

I use my iPhone via bluetooth and the songs are available right away--then again the scanning, selection, or Siri is done on the iPhone which is ready to go. I have not connected an iPod or iPhone via USB, so I cannot answer that specific question. If you have an iPhone or iPod (other than Classic) you should just enable bluetooth--works fine.