ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 07:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts
Default traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES

I've really enjoyed owning my 2013 ES, and I had planned to keep it for another 2 years or so until the Generation 7 ES became available, but, for a number of reasons, I decided to trade the 2013 now.

First, even though the 2013 was a very nicely equipped Luxury Package ES, my one regret was that I wished that I had gotten the Ultra Luxury Package. Also, I wanted some of the safety features that were either unavailable in 2013 or available only at a very high cost, and I like some of the changes in the 2016 re-fresh (although there are a couple that I'm not a fan of). Finally, car sales, in general, are down, and it seemed like good pricing on a new ES was available.

Originally, I was open to getting either a 2016 or a 2017 ES. I was offered about 20% off of a 2016, but, when I got an offer for a 2017 that was within about $2500 of the offer for the 2016, it was an easy choice to go with the 2017. For several years, the difference in value between the 2017 and the 2016 will be greater than the $2500 new price difference, and, while the 2016 and 2017 ES are very similar, there are a few new features in the 2017, including a very nicely updated navigation system.

The 2017 ES that I bought had a MSRP of $49,980. It has all but a few available options. The missing ones include the glass breakage sensor, rear bumper, applique, and illuminated trunk sill. I also had the dealer do a very complete paint protection film application, which includes the full bumper, the full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, and door handle cups. They sold me that package for about half what the other dealers and the independent trim shops in the area are charging for the same coverage.

The deal was a straight cash deal with no high mark-up dealer installed options, high mark-up extended warranties, etc. As per above, I did get the paint protection film, but the price that they charged was quite reasonable.

Since the closest Lexus dealers to me are between 100-150 miles from me, I was happy to be able to arrange the entire deal via the internet and over the phone, including the trade-in. The trade-in offer for my 2013 was a bit above the KBB value for a 2013 ES in outstanding condition, and I thought the number was fair.

My guess is that, if I had waited a few more weeks until the last week of the year, I might have been able to do marginally better, but I wanted to have the car here and in the garage before the snow flies, and that will be happening soon. I also guess that, if I was one of the regions that has traditionally had the best ES pricing, like Southern California, I might have been able to do a bit better, too. But, considering that the Midwest has traditionally had some of the highest ES pricing, I'm happy with where I ended up.
Old 11-21-16, 07:03 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

How about some pictures?
Old 11-21-16, 07:12 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job lesz - you did your homework and got a great deal, especially on the trade in allowance.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride!
Old 11-21-16, 07:29 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

Congrats lesz but you know the deal. It didn't happen if there aren't any pictures. Looking forward to seeing the new ride!
Old 11-21-16, 07:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,285 Likes on 895 Posts

Congrats Les and GOOD LUCK! Since I also have a 2013 and bought mine back when you got yours, I was also considering trading for a new one. I've decided to wait for the new model in, I guess 2018, and see what changes occur. I believe that my car, like yours, is in outstanding condition and unlike yours, has 11k miles in 4 years. Hey! I have 5 cars...
So that being said I'm wondering how you made out getting wholesale for your Lexus on the trade-in.
Old 11-21-16, 07:48 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats lesz, nice to have the UL. Sounds like you got close to 15% off MSRP, great deal...

What are your impressions so far relative to the '13? I am waiting until next August before I even seriously consider replacing mine.
Old 11-21-16, 09:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Congrats lesz but you know the deal. It didn't happen if there aren't any pictures. Looking forward to seeing the new ride!
Originally Posted by zes
How about some pictures?
I just picked up the car this afternoon. By the time I completed half of my 100 mile trip home, it was already dark. When we get some sun, I'll pull it out of the garage and see if I can get some pictures.
Old 11-21-16, 09:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Congrats Les and GOOD LUCK! Since I also have a 2013 and bought mine back when you got yours, I was also considering trading for a new one. I've decided to wait for the new model in, I guess 2018, and see what changes occur. I believe that my car, like yours, is in outstanding condition and unlike yours, has 11k miles in 4 years. Hey! I have 5 cars...
So that being said I'm wondering how you made out getting wholesale for your Lexus on the trade-in.
My 2013 had 25000 miles on it, but that is still lower than most for a 2013 by now.
Old 11-21-16, 09:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amphiprion
Congrats lesz, nice to have the UL. Sounds like you got close to 15% off MSRP, great deal...

What are your impressions so far relative to the '13? I am waiting until next August before I even seriously consider replacing mine.
Whatever initial impressions I have are based only on the 100 mile trip home, but I'll share what they are.

With the 2016 refresh, I think that Lexus did a nice job with the interior. With the wood on the console and the softer surfaces on the outside of the end of the console near the dash, the console looks, I think, a lot nicer. While Lexus replaced the piano black on the console with wood (for the luxury and UL packages), I find it curious that the switch plates on the doors are now piano black. While those switch plates look nice, the piano black will, I'm sure, be susceptible to scratching.

I've got the linear wood trim. I really would have preferred the bird's eye wood, but, with the darker interior colors, it looks like Lexus is shipping them all with the linear wood. I suspect that, over time, I'll come to like the linear wood more.

I do like the seats, with the added stitching in the 2016 and 2017 cars.

The technology differences, when comparing the 2013 to the 2017 are noticeable. Besides the completely new navigation system with the 2017, the voice command system actually works well. Not only can it understand what I say, but it accepts a wide range of voice commands for the navigation system, audio system, and climate control system. It seems to be able to understand plain language and not just the handful of predetermined commands that the 2013 voice command system could accept.

While I like the interior changes, I doubt that I'll ever warm up to the re-designed front end on the 2016 and 2017 cars. When I first saw it after the 2016s were announced, I thought I'd eventually warm up to it, but I don't think that is likely to happen. Still, even if I don't like it, I'll accept it and live with it.

My 2013 had the 17 inch wheels, and the 2017 has the 18 inch wheels. Especially after reading lots of posts here, I was expecting the 2017 to have a harsher ride with the 18 inch wheels than the 2013 with the 17 inch wheels, but, if there is a difference, it is too small for me to notice.

Finally, while the 2017 shares much with the 2013, there is enough that is different/new that it does feel like a different car.
Old 11-22-16, 06:04 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Any idea where the car was made (i.e., US or Japan)?

Are all ES's US made now or can buyers request and obtain an imported car?

What's the overall group conclusions about US assembly v.s., Japan, are they of comparable quality, now?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Old 11-22-16, 06:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

Just out of curiosity, are the cars in your region coming out of the new Kentucky plant or Japan? Or do you even know if there is any rhyme or region regarding the source of cars at any particular dealership? I am not in any way criticizing cars from one factory versus another, merely curious.
Old 11-22-16, 06:39 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12

What's the overall group conclusions about US assembly v.s., Japan, are they of comparable quality, now?
I was checking inventory yesterday and some are still made in good old Japan.
Old 11-22-16, 06:46 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Whatever initial impressions I have are based only on the 100 mile trip home, but I'll share what they are.

With the 2016 refresh, I think that Lexus did a nice job with the interior. With the wood on the console and the softer surfaces on the outside of the end of the console near the dash, the console looks, I think, a lot nicer. While Lexus replaced the piano black on the console with wood (for the luxury and UL packages), I find it curious that the switch plates on the doors are now piano black. While those switch plates look nice, the piano black will, I'm sure, be susceptible to scratching.

I've got the linear wood trim. I really would have preferred the bird's eye wood, but, with the darker interior colors, it looks like Lexus is shipping them all with the linear wood. I suspect that, over time, I'll come to like the linear wood more.

I do like the seats, with the added stitching in the 2016 and 2017 cars.

The technology differences, when comparing the 2013 to the 2017 are noticeable. Besides the completely new navigation system with the 2017, the voice command system actually works well. Not only can it understand what I say, but it accepts a wide range of voice commands for the navigation system, audio system, and climate control system. It seems to be able to understand plain language and not just the handful of predetermined commands that the 2013 voice command system could accept.

While I like the interior changes, I doubt that I'll ever warm up to the re-designed front end on the 2016 and 2017 cars. When I first saw it after the 2016s were announced, I thought I'd eventually warm up to it, but I don't think that is likely to happen. Still, even if I don't like it, I'll accept it and live with it.

My 2013 had the 17 inch wheels, and the 2017 has the 18 inch wheels. Especially after reading lots of posts here, I was expecting the 2017 to have a harsher ride with the 18 inch wheels than the 2013 with the 17 inch wheels, but, if there is a difference, it is too small for me to notice.

Finally, while the 2017 shares much with the 2013, there is enough that is different/new that it does feel like a different car.
The front end is one of the best things on the car. Now it looks like a proper luxury car
Old 11-22-16, 06:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Just out of curiosity, are the cars in your region coming out of the new Kentucky plant or Japan? Or do you even know if there is any rhyme or region regarding the source of cars at any particular dealership? I am not in any way criticizing cars from one factory versus another, merely curious.
My new 2017 ES was built in the US. I'll admit that I would have preferred to have gotten one built in Japan, but I'm okay with one built in the US.

In the last 15 years, I've bought a good number of Lexus/Toyota vehicles and Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. About half were built in Japan and about half were built in the US. While all have been built well and all have been very reliable, my assessment would be that the Japanese built vehicles were just a notch better than the US built vehicles with regard to fits and finishes.

That said, the 2013 ES that I just traded in was built in Japan and, with regard to fits and finishes, both interior and exterior, it was not quite up to the same standard as the other Japanese built vehicles that I have bought in the last 15 years, and may new 2017 ES my be a bit better than the 2013 with regard to body panel and interior part fits.

If the Kentucky plant that is building the ES now had any start-up issues, I'd like to think/hope that, by now, they have worked them out.
Old 11-22-16, 08:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Congratulations on a nice pick up.

FWIW, I think the new front end is striking - in a good way. I really love it.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new car.

Quick Reply: traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES