ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Color mismatch - Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 10:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

My guess is it's the same paint but cures differently depending on the material it's painted on.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (02-28-23)
Old 02-27-23, 01:31 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

I purchased a pre painted bumper online a couple years ago and it was a perfect match for our 2014 Camry SE hybrid in metallic black paint. Installed it myself in an hour in the driveway for less money than my insurance deductible was.

I agree with the person who said matching pearl paint is hard and you need a good paint shop. I had a pearl white LS430 get bodywork and the paint was perfect at a shop recommended to me. I’ve also had poorly matched paint from a body shop before. It’s a science and an art.
The following users liked this post:
GDC (03-13-23)
Old 02-27-23, 02:25 PM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My guess is it's the same paint but cures differently depending on the material it's painted on.
Ive always understood that was the reason - metal vs plastic
The following 2 users liked this post by F3Woody:
GS350Miami (02-28-23), mikemu30 (02-27-23)
Old 02-28-23, 07:52 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

I also wonder if it might adjust slightly as it cures over time. Perhaps give it a few weeks to see if the match improves with time? Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part…
Old 03-01-23, 05:10 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

You say they've repainted it multiple times. I just want to let you know there are some risks to this. Every time that bumper comes off the car, the tabs that hold it in place on the side get weaker and weaker. I say this from personal experience where a car had to have the bumper repainted 3 times, and by the third time, over 6 months, the bumper actually started to tear at those tabs. Also, if the shop isn't doing proper prep work each time (sanding to remove the prior paint and then repainting) which they likely aren't since they want to do this as cheaply as possible as any resprays come out of their pocket, not insurance, you run the risk of that paint eventually peeling because you have so many layers of the paint. Especially since it'd essentially be fresh paint, over uncured paint, over uncured paint (and keep going for how many times its been repainted). I am an OCD freak and tbh the color looks as expected. Even from the factory, bumpers don't match the rest of the car as they are painted elsewhere and then placed on the painted car. Go to your Lexus dealer and see for yourself. Even having said, from the pictures that you have posted, it looks like a pretty close match. At a certain point the pursuit of perfection will just cause more problems. Just go home, have two glasses of whiskey, and then go out and see if it still doesn't match lol.
The following 6 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
F3Woody (03-02-23), GDC (03-06-23), GS350Miami (03-02-23), hammerme (03-02-23), LexFinally (03-02-23), mikemu30 (03-01-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-23, 07:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
You say they've repainted it multiple times. I just want to let you know there are some risks to this. Every time that bumper comes off the car, the tabs that hold it in place on the side get weaker and weaker. I say this from personal experience where a car had to have the bumper repainted 3 times, and by the third time, over 6 months, the bumper actually started to tear at those tabs. Also, if the shop isn't doing proper prep work each time (sanding to remove the prior paint and then repainting) which they likely aren't since they want to do this as cheaply as possible as any resprays come out of their pocket, not insurance, you run the risk of that paint eventually peeling because you have so many layers of the paint. Especially since it'd essentially be fresh paint, over uncured paint, over uncured paint (and keep going for how many times its been repainted). I am an OCD freak and tbh the color looks as expected. Even from the factory, bumpers don't match the rest of the car as they are painted elsewhere and then placed on the painted car. Go to your Lexus dealer and see for yourself. Even having said, from the pictures that you have posted, it looks like a pretty close match. At a certain point the pursuit of perfection will just cause more problems. Just go home, have two glasses of whiskey, and then go out and see if it still doesn't match lol.
Now that is the most entertaining and informative post I've read in a long time - congrats!!
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
GDC (03-06-23), GS350Miami (03-02-23)
Old 03-02-23, 07:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

HA! If I had two glasses of whiskey I wouldn't be able to find the car...
The following 4 users liked this post by bc6152:
GDC (03-06-23), GS350Miami (03-03-23), Oldfart (03-02-23), TipsyTonio (03-03-23)
Old 03-02-23, 07:58 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

. Just go home, have two glasses of whiskey, and then go out and see if it still doesn't match lol.
Username checks out
The following 2 users liked this post by F3Woody:
GS350Miami (03-03-23), TipsyTonio (03-03-23)
Old 05-30-23, 11:57 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

oh no
now I'm worrying about this after getting an iridium 2023 ES

I usually have touch up paint on hand, however, is it a bad idea to try to touch up Iridium for small dings etc?

Now I'm wondering whether I should get a ceramic coat to try to protect again scratches etc....
Old 05-30-23, 12:14 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
oh no
now I'm worrying about this after getting an iridium 2023 ES

I usually have touch up paint on hand, however, is it a bad idea to try to touch up Iridium for small dings etc?

Now I'm wondering whether I should get a ceramic coat to try to protect again scratches etc....
I have never seen a touch up paint adequately match an existing color on a car. Deep scratches, door dings, scrapes thru the paint all require refinishing - not touch up paint. I have an Atomic Silver 350 and wouldn't think of applying touch up paint on my car. Best you can do is to try and prevent rust but it won't match...