ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Speculating on New 2025 Model ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 10:48 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusForever
I didn't read from the start, but what has been the feeling for the 2025 ES? Not quite in the market for the ES but for the IS, but being both sedans their future could be intertwined.
The futures of the ES and IS won't necessarily be all that intertwined.

The IS is a rear-drive based car on a completely different platform, where the ES is an enhancement of the mass-market FWD-based platform that underpins all the mass-market Toyota products from the Camry to the Corolla to the Prius.

Toyota is a company with massive resources. When the IS gets a redo will be solely a product of where they choose to apply their considerable product development muscle. Based on the fact that they've killed its big brother the GS and let the IS linger and age for a decade now, the clear signal thus far has been that they don't consider it a high corporate priority. But that could change.
Old 03-19-24, 12:08 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Yep - I fall for the larger wheels every time and primarily for appearance - but I LOVE THEM!. Couldn't care less about the cost to replace, firmer ride, mpg etc. So true the smaller wheels don't fill the wells at all and makes it a non starter for me.
The wheel and tire combo are the same diameter whether they are 18" wheels or 21" wheels because if they weren't, the computer would give false speedometer readings and other factors would be off too. The bigger wheel gives an illusion that it fills it better because your eye is drawn to the wheel instead of the darker tire.
Old 03-19-24, 03:46 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
The wheel and tire combo are the same diameter whether they are 18" wheels or 21" wheels because if they weren't, the computer would give false speedometer readings and other factors would be off too. The bigger wheel gives an illusion that it fills it better because your eye is drawn to the wheel instead of the darker tire.
Which looks better:

Old 03-20-24, 12:52 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw this today and not too far away. Looks like if the 2025 remake of ES hybrid has all I want it might be my last car.

Biden finalizes crackdown on gas cars, forcing more than half of new car sales to be electric by 2030

'This regulation will make new gas-powered vehicles unavailable or prohibitively expensive for most Americans,' lead industry groups say

Old 03-20-24, 01:19 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
I have one qualm that has bugged me though and that is the inflexible set of options that they all come with and on top of that some dealers insist on protection packages and pulse devices and if I don't accept that, well forfeit the meager discount they offer of $2500. In this day and age the car market is inflexible and customer choice is quickly disappearing. Since I am accepting a prebuilt feature set of options I don't care for at least the dealer could resist piling onto the money grab and provide the customer a modicum of choice and the ability to say no without walking away. I look forward to purchasing a vehicle which will provide me an escape from this market for many years to come for it is maddening.
I was extremely frustrated for the exact same reason you stated, I felt like the dealer was ramming unecessary options down my throat. I was less than bashful about it and they knocked off a couple thousand $$.
I absolutely did not want the 18" wheels so he dropped the $660 charge before I finished my sentence. It still drives me nuts that the "Base" configuration 17" wheels was not available at ANY local dealers.
Another dealer had a car with fewer add on $$$ so I ended going with them.
Old 03-20-24, 01:35 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Which looks better:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though and opinions are subjective. Beauty can mean different things to different people. Beauty to me is that it rides "Beautifully" according to my Wife's back.

I do agree that the bigger wheels do look better than the smaller ones but at this point in my life, I'll take function over form ANY day of the year. The bigger wheels provide a harsher ride (which in our 22 ES350 UL already seems pretty firm to begin with especially over bumps) and I don't need it to ride any more harsh than it already does. That's why We're replacing our 18" wheels with 18" wheels just because I don't like how the Ultra Luxury wheels look (my Wife think s that they look like hubcaps).

By the way, that Pearl White RX is a Beauty, especially in the sun!
Old 03-20-24, 01:47 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Saw this today and not too far away. Looks like if the 2025 remake of ES hybrid has all I want it might be my last car.

Biden finalizes crackdown on gas cars, forcing more than half of new car sales to be electric by 2030

'This regulation will make new gas-powered vehicles unavailable or prohibitively expensive for most Americans,' lead industry groups say

This won't happen. The infrastructure and the public's incomes won't be close to being ready. There will be a delay announced long before then.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexFinally:
bc6152 (03-22-24), mikemu30 (03-20-24), TechNut (03-21-24), ukcats (03-21-24)
Old 03-20-24, 01:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though and opinions are subjective. Beauty can mean different things to different people. Beauty to me is that it rides "Beautifully" according to my Wife's back.

I do agree that the bigger wheels do look better than the smaller ones but at this point in my life, I'll take function over form ANY day of the year. The bigger wheels provide a harsher ride (which in our 22 ES350 UL already seems pretty firm to begin with especially over bumps) and I don't need it to ride any more harsh than it already does. That's why We're replacing our 18" wheels with 18" wheels just because I don't like how the Ultra Luxury wheels look (my Wife think s that they look like hubcaps).

Yep the exact RX we just purchased. Far from a harsh ride 21" wheels and all.
Old 03-20-24, 02:40 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Personally I like the one on the right

The following 2 users liked this post by hotwings:
FreddyG (03-21-24), scubapr (03-21-24)
Old 03-20-24, 02:47 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This won't happen. The infrastructure and the public's incomes won't be close to being ready. There will be a delay announced long before then.
For this to work efficiently there would have to be an enormous change to numerous things in the next 5 years which will never happen. But so far the ludicrous plan is moving forward knowing the downsides.
Old 03-21-24, 05:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hotwings

I had roller skates with wheels that size
Old 03-21-24, 07:06 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

OMG @hotwings I almost spit my coffee out
Old 03-21-24, 09:38 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexFinally
It's a even bigger mistake in the fact that EV's aren't selling right now like the manufacturer's thought that they would. I think that Toyota/Lexus is Very smart in their approach in using hybrid's and were years ahead of the game with the Prius, which is now actually a pretty cool little car (I'd have rather walked than drive an older Prius, but that's just my opinion. The new Prius Prime is actually Really nice)!

Yep the exact RX we just purchased. Far from a harsh ride 21" wheels and all.
As I stated, ride comfort is subjective and you might not have a bad back! I'm glad that it makes you happy and it sure is a Great looking RX!

That's funny! LOL

Old 03-21-24, 12:15 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F3Woody
OMG @hotwings I almost spit my coffee out
That was mainly for @mikemu30 's viewing pleasure since I know how much he appreciates the smaller wheel sizes

I could not believe this subaru I saw today, hardly any rubber between the rim and asphalt. I guess my 18" Lexus tires are not as low profile as I thought.

Last edited by hotwings; 03-21-24 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-22-24, 06:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

That was mainly for @mikemu30 's viewing pleasure since I know how much he appreciates the smaller wheel sizes

I could not believe this subaru I saw today, hardly any rubber between the rim and asphalt. I guess my 18" Lexus tires are not as low profile as I thought.
Yeah those will not do well in a larger pothole.

Quick Reply: Speculating on New 2025 Model ES 350