ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Speculating on New 2025 Model ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 08:13 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

One thing to speculate here with the ES 25 or 26 model with no V6 is that it probably will have a plug in model available which if follows the RX lead will have more power over the hybrid. So far only UX and NX but we should be getting close to finding out if ES will be 25. Lexus must have real tight security about leaks unlike here in the US where coordinated leaks are everywhere. Bet the first place I hear it is here.
Old 03-25-24, 10:00 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Do hybrids/plug-ins have conventional transmissions?
=============================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 03-25-24, 10:34 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Well I'm hoping that the V6 survives 2025 and beyond... No need to jettison such a tried and true, bulletproof, smooth engine. No one knows at this point... No one... Well maybe Akio knows...
Old 03-25-24, 10:36 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
Do hybrids/plug-ins have conventional transmissions?
=============================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
It's possible to pair a hybrid drivetrain with a conventional transmission. Usually Toyota and Lexus use an eCVT. It makes the annoying whining noises of the crapbox CVTs from cars like Nissan, but unlike those, it at least is extremely reliable.
Old 03-25-24, 10:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
It's possible to pair a hybrid drivetrain with a conventional transmission. Usually Toyota and Lexus use an eCVT. It makes the annoying whining noises of the crapbox CVTs from cars like Nissan, but unlike those, it at least is extremely reliable.
Have you driven one? - my wife's new RX hybrid is pretty silent and there are no annoying shifts like we have in the gas ES 8 speed.. Try it - maybe you'll like it
Old 03-25-24, 10:47 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Have you driven one? - my wife's new RX hybrid is pretty silent and there are no annoying shifts like we have in the gas ES 8 speed.. Try it - maybe you'll like it
I've heard the newer Toyotas and Lexi are greatly improved in that respect. I was just trying to respond to OP's question, which to me implied that he preferred a torque-converted automatic's stepped shifting behavior.
Old 03-25-24, 11:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Like one poster recently said, once you drive the eCVT, driving a conventional trans will feel like you're in the car with someone learning to drive a stick
Old 03-25-24, 11:12 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

While I've never driven a Toyota/Lexus hybrid, I don't think your "annoying whining noises" claim applies to the Toyota/Lexus hybrid eCVT, AKA Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD). There's no drive chain/belt in Toyota/Lexus's eCVT implementation which is the source of the whining in the other CVT designs.

The continuous variability in the Toyota/Lexus eCVT is accomplished through sophisticated electronic control of a clever planetary gear set. The same sort of planetary gear set as used in the 8 speed automatic transmission although the automatic transmission's gear set is more complicated and has additional complexity in the mechanisms for "shifting" between the fixed 8 forward gear ratios.

I haven't seen anyone claiming the 8 speed automatic transmission has "annoying whining noises" so why should a similar use of a planetary gear set in the Toyota/Lexus' eCVT have that noise?
Old 03-25-24, 11:30 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well I'm hoping that the V6 survives 2025 and beyond... No need to jettison such a tried and true, bulletproof, smooth engine. No one knows at this point... No one... Well maybe Akio knows...
As it is said, “From your lips to G-d’s ear!”
Keeping our fingers crossed…
Old 03-25-24, 11:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

For those curious about the working of the Toyota hybrid system, Car Care Nut has a series of videos where he explains in simplistic terms step by step what goes in once you press the POWER button. There's one entire video on the eCVT as well.
Old 03-25-24, 04:32 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
One thing to speculate here with the ES 25 or 26 model with no V6 is that it probably will have a plug in model available which if follows the RX lead will have more power over the hybrid. So far only UX and NX but we should be getting close to finding out if ES will be 25. Lexus must have real tight security about leaks unlike here in the US where coordinated leaks are everywhere. Bet the first place I hear it is here.
Not interested in the ES (waiting on what is in store for the IS), but I am curious on what will happen with any of the sedan models in the coming year(s).
Old 03-26-24, 09:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

As one example of a hybrid with a conventional transmission, check out the new (as of 2023) RX 500. It is only available as an F Sport so they had slightly different design objectives. Perhaps they will build an F Sport ES with the same design? Call it an ES 500 to mirror the RX model number? Although the popularity of sedans in the current environment may suggest the profit would be hard to justify for such a model.
Old 03-26-24, 05:34 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusForever
Not interested in the ES (waiting on what is in store for the IS), but I am curious on what will happen with any of the sedan models in the coming year(s).
I'm not holding my breath for any future gas-engined Lexus sedans other than ES and maybe IS refreshes. And I say that as a buyer who'd be seriously interested in a V6 GS comeback.
Old 03-26-24, 07:09 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm not holding my breath for any future gas-engined Lexus sedans other than ES and maybe IS refreshes. And I say that as a buyer who'd be seriously interested in a V6 GS comeback.
All I need is one ICE sedan model (ES)! Not asking so much, Mr. Lexus!
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (03-26-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:38 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
When does the ES next year model get announced? End of summer / fall?

Quick Reply: Speculating on New 2025 Model ES 350