ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2023 Lexus ES 300h Arrived - No ML

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 10:50 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The same exact flash drive in my wife's RX base system sounds crystal clear and quite good. In my ES with ML, it all comes out with lots of noise, distortion etc. I know there's a tech reason for this but it's not important enough to me to get to the bottom of. Glad I still have CD player when I choose to use it
Wow that’s interesting and unfortunate.
Old 03-24-23, 11:21 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

If you can, wait for ML.. you don't need to be an audiophile. Without ML, you will be back here looking for ways to improve the sound.
The following 3 users liked this post by babaijebu:
asadani (03-24-23), GS350Miami (03-25-23), rogerdiaz (08-01-23)
Old 03-24-23, 04:25 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Well the ML is in fact awfully weak if you like powerful sound. Not just for rap or dance music either, even Steely Dan comes alive with a proper subwoofer and at moderate volumes too. Pretty much anything recorded since the 1970s where solid State compression started to be used, instruments were individually mic’d and drum kits got multiple mics.

Have you lived with a four figure aftermarket stereo before? Because yeah the ML sounds a lot better than the standard Pioneer in the ES but there’s still no comparison to a proper system.
Full Disclosure: I have not lived with a four-figure aftermarket car stereo before. I have done the following:

I have upgraded to pretty decent aftermarket setups in previous cars. I've had previous premium cars with the high-end factory setup. I've lived with a four-figure stereo in my home. I have played home stereos loud enough that people three doors away remarked at exactly what I was listening to. I have played car stereos loud enough that neighbors editorialized on my musical tastes. I have played home stereos loud enough to literally rattle the clock on the wall on the next floor. I have researched and written a footnoted term paper about surround sound (got an A!).

Someone on a YouTube thread recently asked, "Can the ES's ML system deliver powerful sound at high volume?" I'm older now (hence my ownership of an ES, right?), but to accommodate his question, the next time I drove my car, I cranked up the stereo for a minute or so as loud as I could stand. My impression was that it was holding together nicely, all frequencies including bass sounded to my ears to be clean and strong, the woofers weren't distorting, and the amplifier wasn't clipping. Do I think it is as "powerful" as a car whose trunk is a subwoofer? Certainly not. Do I think it qualifies as powerful for high-volume regular listening? In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, absolutely yes.
Old 03-24-23, 09:59 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I would continue to wait - I got an F-Sport yesterday with the Mark Levinson premium system and it is much better than the other system. The first I've seen in quite awhile - they may becoming more available.

Good luck.

Dave Mac
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (03-25-23)
Old 03-24-23, 11:29 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomLex
This is exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think I can call it without hearing and comparing it for myself. I'm in the same boat as you on considering aftermarket upgrades. In which case, paying less upfront is a benefit.
I would urge you to hold off for the ML. This car is a long term car and you wouldn't want to think about it years later that you could have waited a few more months for the ML Audio. Remember the ML Audio also has the cutouts on the door panel for the extra speakers. Even if you do aftermarket post ML, you will have that cutout. If you ask me the ML is very very good when compared to the factory. Now when I compare the ML to the bang and olufsen in my audi, the ML sounds at about 85% to a 100% with audi's B&O. The factory audio of the ES would make me cringe and want to return it.

My recommendation, wait it out. ML is worth the wait. Its your decision in the end

Also to add another perspective on the aftermarket upgrade crews here. I had a BMW 650 with b&o and a Toyota Solara. I took both my cars to the custom audio installer and made him hear the b&o sound system in my BMW and told him to replicate it on my Toyota.
He assured me that the sound in the Toyota post the upgrades will be much better than the BMW's b&o.
He went ahead and installed the amps, subs, multiple cutouts, and speakers. The car looked "WIRED" and weird I must say. Random wires were hidden but you still knew that there was a large amp below the seat etc. "ugly" in my opinion.
The car sounded in plain words, "Horrible". I also told him that he's done a horrible job to which he said that the factory installs are different and can't be matched as they have additional speakers behind the dash etc and that was the best I got. He cranked up the volume to showcase his installation but it sounded ugly and just a plain loud boom box.

Trust the manufacturers when they install the systems in factory. What you could do is upgrade the ML Audio further with upgraded speakers if you feel they are not good enough. at least you'll have the cutout's in the door. Not to mention, with ML, you can possibly get the ambient lights in the car? I got it that way

I highly recommend stick with ML

Last edited by asadani; 03-24-23 at 11:37 PM.
rogerdiaz (08-01-23)
Old 03-25-23, 08:40 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
If you can, wait for ML.. you don't need to be an audiophile. Without ML, you will be back here looking for ways to improve the sound.
I don't think that is a fair assessment. I don't have ML and I am not back here looking for ways to improve the audio quality. It is just fine for my taste.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
BlainePDX (03-25-23), LexFinally (03-26-23)
Old 03-25-23, 10:15 AM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I don't think that is a fair assessment. I don't have ML and I am not back here looking for ways to improve the audio quality. It is just fine for my taste.
^^^This^^^

Base system perfectly acceptable.
Old 03-25-23, 01:16 PM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Welcome and congratulations!
Audio is so subjective, you'll get ten opinions from ten different people.
Told ya 😂​​
ATL350 (03-26-23)
Old 03-25-23, 02:03 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Auto enthusiast forums: people justifying their own choices since the late 90s
The following 3 users liked this post by BBQapple:
F3Woody (03-25-23), LexFinally (03-26-23), rooseveltd (09-07-23)
Old 03-25-23, 02:25 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

If clean and accurate sound is important to you AND you listen to high quality audio sources (CD quality or better), then definitely don't settle for the base audio system. If you listen to less than CD quality audio sources (MP3s, Spotify, FM radio, Sirius XM, etc.), then the base system may actually sound as good or better.
Old 03-25-23, 02:50 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

MP3s and Pandora/Spotify sound amazing on a good system, plus the above says nothing about volume.

Reality is the ML sounds better than base, but neither are good if you like loud. But the ML is of course a better starting point than the base if you’re going to be upgrading.

To me the ML was a big disappointment when I turned up the volume and listened to various things. But I have had various systems in my past cars, decent stereos at home, plus a collection of music production equipment and small bar sized PA system with 15 inch sub at home plus a collection of headphones for various uses.

Is the ML worth a grand more than base? Maybe, barely. Is the ML amazing? Not even close.
Old 03-26-23, 08:55 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
MP3s and Pandora/Spotify sound amazing on a good system, plus the above says nothing about volume.

Reality is the ML sounds better than base, but neither are good if you like loud. But the ML is of course a better starting point than the base if you’re going to be upgrading.

To me the ML was a big disappointment when I turned up the volume and listened to various things. But I have had various systems in my past cars, decent stereos at home, plus a collection of music production equipment and small bar sized PA system with 15 inch sub at home plus a collection of headphones for various uses.

Is the ML worth a grand more than base? Maybe, barely. Is the ML amazing? Not even close.
For starters, I'm an audiophile. I prioritize sound quality over quantity (volume). That being said, I've never needed more volume from the ML. I've never turned the volume higher than about 55. I don't even know how high it goes.

The ML system is amazing sounding when listening to a high quality music source. I'm using Amazon Music Unlimited. The sound is crystal clear. I can't imagine it sounding any better. And it's crystal clear from the very bottom of the base to the very top of the treble. Amazing dynamic range.

You said "MP3s and Pandora/Spotify sound amazing on a good system." I don't disagree with that. However, on the ML, they sound poor. Same with FM radio HD and Sirius XM. I don't know why that is. But it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
LexFinally (03-26-23), mikemu30 (03-26-23)
Old 03-27-23, 06:58 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
From OP:
The premium audio was a major selling point for me because I love listening to music when I drive more than anything else.
How is that not a fair assessment when it is a major point for OP? It's not like we don't have threads of owners trying to improve sound quality in their cars. I have non ML in a smaller IS and i had to spend money to improve the sound, i never even thought of getting non ML in a bigger ES. Again, if OP can wait, my advise for them is to wait.
Old 03-27-23, 08:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

From OP:

How is that not a fair assessment when it is a major point for OP? It's not like we don't have threads of owners trying to improve sound quality in their cars. I have non ML in a smaller IS and i had to spend money to improve the sound, i never even thought of getting non ML in a bigger ES. Again, if OP can wait, my advise for them is to wait.
Ok. I didn’t recall this original point when I replied. I see your point now.
Old 03-27-23, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

From OP:

Well it's merely personal preference.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus ES 300h Arrived - No ML