ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

LED daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23 | 01:29 PM
bsony1995
Driver School Candidate

Default LED daytime running lights

Hi all,
I recently purchased a pair of LED daytime running lights for my 2022 ES 300h UL. I managed to get the lights installed on my bumper but I am running into an issue with wiring the lights to the car. The lights come with 4 wires: ACC, ground, headlight, and turn signal. The problem I am having is with the triple beam headlight option on my car, there are no light bulbs to tap the wires into. I also can't seem to find any fuses that map to the headlights or the turn signals. Has anyone modded their Lexus with something similar? Any ideas on where I can get these wires tapped into?

Link and pics for lights I purchased:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175515970470

Old 03-26-23 | 02:40 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

No help to offer but those do look nice.

My random guess is you’re going to have to slice into a loom or a multi connector plug.

Im also impressed at covering the license plate physically instead of the typical quick fingertip photo editor job!
Old 03-26-23 | 06:37 PM
bsony1995
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping to avoid splicing anything in case I need to take it into a Lexus dealer in the future. No worries though, appreciate the reply!
Old 03-26-23 | 10:04 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

I have seen that accessory, I briefly considered it. Look at the wiring going to the headlight assembly, surely one of the wires is for the turn signal. You could try asking the seller if they know what wire to tap in to...?
Old 03-27-23 | 01:38 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Would this be too much of light? Are you planning to also connect the turn signals?
Old 03-27-23 | 04:58 AM
bsony1995
Driver School Candidate

I've messaged the seller but he hasn't replied yet. I think getting into the headlight assmbly is my next best bet if the seller can't help me.
Old 03-27-23 | 04:59 AM
bsony1995
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I like this look better than having the plain inserts that come with the car. I do plan on connecting the turn signal, if I can ever figure out how to wire it haha .
Old 03-27-23 | 07:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I saw those in 2021 when they first came out, during my 1st ES and during my 2nd. I've concluded the concept is nice but the execution is cheesy and they aesthetically don't match. the materials are cheesy too. Such a shame there's no high end powerful LED fog solutions for the ES. When I had my ES I wanted to make my own high quality solution like I did for my 3IS -- which was a world's first OE LED foglight retrofit for a total of SIX Genuine LED projectors up front making it a Hextuple (three full sets). very cool at night.

But all the custom mods/retrofits i've done in my 21 years of light mod retrofits, nothing compares to my AMT setup.
Old 03-27-23 | 02:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by bsony1995
Hi all,
I recently purchased a pair of LED daytime running lights for my 2022 ES 300h UL. I managed to get the lights installed on my bumper but I am running into an issue with wiring the lights to the car. The lights come with 4 wires: ACC, ground, headlight, and turn signal. The problem I am having is with the triple beam headlight option on my car, there are no light bulbs to tap the wires into. I also can't seem to find any fuses that map to the headlights or the turn signals. Has anyone modded their Lexus with something similar? Any ideas on where I can get these wires tapped into?
Although it is something of a mess with non-working intra-manual links, can be super frustrating to find information related to what you're looking for, and appears to need pairing up with the Techstream software for full functionality, here's a link to a copy of the Lexus ES (XZ10) Service Manual which with some digging might give you some useful information.

Since you're dealing with triple beam headlights, I'm not sure there's any practical means of separately tapping into headlight and turn signal wiring. For triple beams, all the lighting elements (e.g., turn signal, side marker, headlights, etc.) are contained in single weather sealed headlight assembly unit - one for the left side and one for the right side. There is a separate headlight ECU subassembly - one for each side - which supplies power to and controls the operation of the items within the triple beam headlight assembly. If I'm extrapolating correctly the various bits of information I've been able to sleuth out, the only place you're going to find separate wires for headlights and turn signals delivering light driving power levels is the wiring connection between headlight ECU subassembly and the headlight assembly. (I think the headlight ECU subassembly gets digital commands for operations of the items under its control over a communication bus from the main body (multiplex network body.)

I make no guarantees on the correctness but here's a few direct links into the above referenced service manual that may provide some useful information in your efforts to figure out your project's wiring connections:

System Diagram - Lighting System (for Hv Model) - Lighting (ext) - the headlight assembly circuit diagrams are toward the bottom of the page.

Terminals Of ECU - Lighting System (for Hv Model) - Lighting (ext) - headlight and main body ECU connectors and connector pinouts with descriptions related to headlight ECU controlled items. The headlight ECU connectors related hint(s):
• Since the A78 headlight ECU sub-assembly LH connector is a waterproof type connector, the voltage and pulses cannot be checked directly. The values listed are for reference only.

• Since the B and C headlight ECU sub-assembly LH connectors are connected inside the headlight assembly, the voltage and pulses cannot be checked directly. The values listed are for reference only.
probably rules out using connector pin taps to make your desired wiring connections.

For diagrams showing connector locations and accessing details:

Removal - Headlight ECU - Lighting (ext) - scroll down some to see the diagrams

Removal - Headlight Assembly (for Led Type Turn Signal Light) - Lighting (ext) - headlight assembly connector diagram is toward the bottom of the page

The following 3 users liked this post by grp52:
BBQapple (03-27-23), LeX2K (03-27-23), TerryNVA (01-29-24)
Old 03-27-23 | 02:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I only know of the non triple beam since i see the turn signals clear as day but i would not want to fry a module due to a crossed wire...
Old 03-28-23 | 12:58 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
I saw those in 2021 when they first came out, during my 1st ES and during my 2nd. I've concluded the concept is nice but the execution is cheesy and they aesthetically don't match. the materials are cheesy too. Such a shame there's no high end powerful LED fog solutions for the ES. When I had my ES I wanted to make my own high quality solution like I did for my 3IS -- which was a world's first OE LED foglight retrofit for a total of SIX Genuine LED projectors up front making it a Hextuple (three full sets). very cool at night.

But all the custom mods/retrofits i've done in my 21 years of light mod retrofits, nothing compares to my AMT setup.
I only hope the Tesla boards are as lucky as we are.
The following 5 users liked this post by Stoodo:
E46CT (03-30-23), ESh (03-31-23), LS500Fan (03-28-23), MAMOSKO (03-28-23), shoodes (05-23-24)
Old 03-30-23 | 02:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I dunno. I've done a lot for various car communities. So you're probably right! Lots of world's firsts and other contributions on this forum and already have stuff going for the EV community. Secrets, tips, and knowledge no one would find.

in fact i'm still hanging onto a couple of ES secrets. (which i've mentioned before on this forum) for example there's one in particular that would surely spark some discussion. a certain change in a certain model year. not advertised, not talked about. a secret change by Toyota.

my other tidbit of knowledge (#2) is less impressive (kinda meh!) but still interesting.

the other contributions though i hope youve enjoyed
Old 03-31-23 | 03:48 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Modesty is your greatest asset!
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (03-31-23)
Old 01-27-24 | 11:31 AM
Pit360s
3rd Gear

Any Updates in regards to the installation im having the same problem too, in my case is where to tap the white wire to? I Had the same Issue Seller never provided instructions, anything would help
Old 01-27-24 | 03:02 PM
bsony1995
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pit360s
Any Updates in regards to the installation im having the same problem too, in my case is where to tap the white wire to? I Had the same Issue Seller never provided instructions, anything would help
Oof tbh I totally forgot I made this post and did not update it post install. I did end up getting the lights installed and wired up using the plugs to the triple beam headlights on each side. I gave up on the white wire because I could not figure out where to tap into that would allow the fog lights to dim, so my fog lights are just bright at all time .

Quick Reply: LED daytime running lights