ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 03:13 PM
n2it
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeND
Honestly, I have not checked with a dealer yet to see if they would even sell me the '23 model year car for MSRP, or whether they are still adding some dealer markup.
I paid MSRP in November for a 2023 ESh with premium package. Also because it was in transit, they didn’t force me to take the dealer install options either. It is worth checking.
Old 04-11-23, 09:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will most likely steer towards the '21 and '22 models, if I go with a used 300h given the change to the lithium-ion battery. As most of you know, the car market is still grossly inflated with respect to prices now compared to 2019. I can find a 2021 ES 300h in the color scheme I want with about 20,000 miles for about $42K (asking price). Interestingly, if I build the same car on Lexus.com the MSRP is $46,580 (base model with added premium package). Honestly, I have not checked with a dealer yet to see if they would even sell me the '23 model year car for MSRP, or whether they are still adding some dealer markup.
try going for the 23. Toyota made revisions to the TNGA-K baseplate (for Camry and ES) and apertures and interior cladding for side crashes. it doesn't result in anything truly competitive or even good results, but something is better than nothing.
Old 04-12-23, 02:34 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Go for the cheapest year. No point spending so much for the current Gen ES when the new one is just around the corner.
Old 04-12-23, 10:31 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

FYI, the 2022 is unique with having both a touchpad and touchscreen. So you might consider that year if you want both. Otherwise, prior to 2022 have only touchpad and after 2022 have only touchscreen.
The following users liked this post:
Velizar (04-24-23)
Old 04-12-23, 11:06 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 489 Likes on 347 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will most likely steer towards the '21 and '22 models, if I go with a used 300h given the change to the lithium-ion battery. As most of you know, the car market is still grossly inflated with respect to prices now compared to 2019. I can find a 2021 ES 300h in the color scheme I want with about 20,000 miles for about $42K (asking price). Interestingly, if I build the same car on Lexus.com the MSRP is $46,580 (base model with added premium package). Honestly, I have not checked with a dealer yet to see if they would even sell me the '23 model year car for MSRP, or whether they are still adding some dealer markup.
My dealer in Florida shows a boatload of 2023 ES 350’s in his inventory posted on line. Five are hybrids.They’re listed at MSRP but says to contact them for a better price. I had a positive experience dealing with them.
Old 04-12-23, 11:12 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Go for the cheapest year. No point spending so much for the current Gen ES when the new one is just around the corner.
I’ve bought a few new cars on the last or second to last year of a model generation and driven them for years. Having the latest model isn’t important to everyone. Sometimes I do it on purpose when the replacement is already revealed and ugly to me.

There are more than a few old Lex and MB cars in the wealthiest part of town, albeit often part of a large stable of cars some of which are new and pricey. Point is, wanting the latest and greatest isn’t universal.
Old 04-12-23, 01:35 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,023 Likes on 766 Posts

Sometimes it is better to buy the last-year model than the first-year model.
Old 04-12-23, 03:00 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Please don't buy an used one for that price, WHY?

Browse around for a 2023 ones, you will have the latest Lexus interface, with wireless Apple Car Play, that will be relevant in next 10 years, with cloud software update, and so many other updates in and out of the car.

For the base trim (hybrid or not) with few options that you looking for, you should be able to locate one without too much hassles.
And you should be able to get it for MSRP + always available promotions Lexus has for the ES (around $500-$1000 off), or if you willing to take time to negotiate, 5% or couple thousand off is not too hard to get.
Again it's for a very popular base trim, not some rare hybrid ultra lux with rare options etc., all comes down to supply and demand, dealers should be flooded with ES base and F-sport trims as of now, so that is your advantage.
Old 04-12-23, 04:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Some personal comments in posts a few above, let’s leave that out of this thread or do not post
Old 04-13-23, 08:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,546 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988

Browse around for a 2023 ones, you will have the latest Lexus interface, with wireless Apple Car Play, that will be relevant in next 10 years, with cloud software update, and so many other updates in and out of the car.

For the base trim (hybrid or not) with few options that you looking for, you should be able to locate one without too much hassles.
And you should be able to get it for MSRP + always available promotions Lexus has for the ES (around $500-$1000 off), or if you willing to take time to negotiate, 5% or couple thousand off is not too hard to get.
Again it's for a very popular base trim, not some rare hybrid ultra lux with rare options etc., all comes down to supply and demand, dealers should be flooded with ES base and F-sport trims as of now, so that is your advantage.
The market is not grossly inflated these days. In fact, a report was out this morning that on average, new cars are now selling BELOW MSRP. Don't let the industry fool you or of course, you can if you wish.
Old 04-13-23, 09:03 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988

A new one would be about ten grand more than the used one he’s looking at, not to mention higher insurance costs. That’s a lot of money for most people.
Old 04-13-23, 11:56 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BBQapple
A new one would be about ten grand more than the used one he’s looking at, not to mention higher insurance costs. That’s a lot of money for most people.
Yes but on his case it's $42K for a 2021 used with 20K mile, and $46.5K for a brand new 2023 with some major upgrades in and out, make no financial sense try to "save" $4.5K, not a single one.
Old 04-13-23, 12:44 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,023 Likes on 766 Posts

In that case, no, but I would rather drive a 2021 Luxury/UL than a brand new ES base.
Old 04-13-23, 02:55 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
In that case, no, but I would rather drive a 2021 Luxury/UL than a brand new ES base.
Maybe , but that used one is not UL either, it was base + options he said, since he built the same one online, that's why he should go with a new 23 model for that price...

Personally, for that popular trim 2-year old ES with outdated tech, 20K miles and who knows what missing/changed inside since it was produced in the middle of the pandemic supply crisis... max I'll pay is 30K aka 33% discount from a brand new price. If it was not a Lexus, have to be 40%+ discount, I know everyone will tell me to be more realistic, but I am LOL.

Last edited by july1988; 04-13-23 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 08:57 AM
MikeND
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I visited the local Lexus dealership here in the Kansas City area this last weekend. I drove the ES 300h they had on the lot and liked it. When I mentioned that I was wanting the car in a specific exterior/interior color combination (Nightfall Mica Blue/Macadamia), the salesman stated "I have a customer that has been waiting for a 300h in that color combination for a year." I asked him about searching other dealerships for the car, and he stated "we don't do that now as we just sell the cars we get right off the delivery trucks." Now this is not my first rodeo buying a car, and I think he may have been exaggerating a bit. That said, I know there are supply chain delays, etc. Interestingly, they had three new 2023 ES 300h cars on their lot, all with the Luxury package and all in obsidian black. Their MSPR was $52,875. Dealer markups were: nitrogen filled tires ($199), Door Edge guard ($199) and Window Tint ($699), making the total asking price on the window $54,072.00.

I am interested in purchasing the car with only the Premium Package and maybe a few other add-ons. My question to the group is whether you think this salesman is just blowing smoke on the lead time for a new 300h is the color scheme and package selection I would like, or whether there is really this type of delay in ordering the car in the exact way I would like it? I know I can start contacting dealers in other states, etc., but would like the input of the well-informed forum members here first. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. One last thing, what is the best way for me to search all the Lexus dealerships to see if one may have the car I am interested in.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h