ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-23, 09:48 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 516 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeND
So I visited the local Lexus dealership here in the Kansas City area this last weekend. I drove the ES 300h they had on the lot and liked it. When I mentioned that I was wanting the car in a specific exterior/interior color combination (Nightfall Mica Blue/Macadamia), the salesman stated "I have a customer that has been waiting for a 300h in that color combination for a year." I asked him about searching other dealerships for the car, and he stated "we don't do that now as we just sell the cars we get right off the delivery trucks." Now this is not my first rodeo buying a car, and I think he may have been exaggerating a bit. That said, I know there are supply chain delays, etc. Interestingly, they had three new 2023 ES 300h cars on their lot, all with the Luxury package and all in obsidian black. Their MSPR was $52,875. Dealer markups were: nitrogen filled tires ($199), Door Edge guard ($199) and Window Tint ($699), making the total asking price on the window $54,072.00.

I am interested in purchasing the car with only the Premium Package and maybe a few other add-ons. My question to the group is whether you think this salesman is just blowing smoke on the lead time for a new 300h is the color scheme and package selection I would like, or whether there is really this type of delay in ordering the car in the exact way I would like it? I know I can start contacting dealers in other states, etc., but would like the input of the well-informed forum members here first. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. One last thing, what is the best way for me to search all the Lexus dealerships to see if one may have the car I am interested in.
Good questions! Regarding the color combo, the salesman isn't blowing smoke per se. They could have a customer that has been waiting for that combo. Even if he wasn't referring to an actual client, that scenario is plausible and more common than you might think. Colors other than black, silver, and white are less common. Blue, red, and green colors are much less common. Regions of the country are going to yield different combos as well. Regarding searching other dealers for color combos and options, I'll clarify his likely intent. They CAN search for those specifics and find dealers with those details on the ground or in the pipeline. How else, more commonly in the past pre-covid/supply shortages, were dealers able to find vehicles for dealer trades? The situation really means, why WOULD I search for a car I can't get or sends your business elsewhere? Dealer trades are often not being made right now. There is no benefit to this dealership. True special ordering has been halted since approximately the end of 21. Due to "dealership templates," pre-set package/trim options, and combos that dictate what vehicles each dealership for each region will be allocated, you may have difficulty finding such a specific set of criteria and what you are looking for in that exact scenario. That is also why specific color combos and options lists can have an extended lead time or may not exist. For example. a Cloudburst gray Ultra Lux palomino interior with no panoramic glass roof might be an impossible combination to find, without a special order, and those just aren't happening right now. Even though a panoramic glass roof is not a standard feature on any model or trim, because of its widespread popularity, they are commonly a part of the Ultra Lux. and Lux. template builds.
Old 04-26-23, 12:01 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

So I visited the local Lexus dealership here in the Kansas City area this last weekend. I drove the ES 300h they had on the lot and liked it. When I mentioned that I was wanting the car in a specific exterior/interior color combination (Nightfall Mica Blue/Macadamia), the salesman stated "I have a customer that has been waiting for a 300h in that color combination for a year." I asked him about searching other dealerships for the car, and he stated "we don't do that now as we just sell the cars we get right off the delivery trucks." Now this is not my first rodeo buying a car, and I think he may have been exaggerating a bit. That said, I know there are supply chain delays, etc. Interestingly, they had three new 2023 ES 300h cars on their lot, all with the Luxury package and all in obsidian black. Their MSPR was $52,875. Dealer markups were: nitrogen filled tires ($199), Door Edge guard ($199) and Window Tint ($699), making the total asking price on the window $54,072.00.

I am interested in purchasing the car with only the Premium Package and maybe a few other add-ons. My question to the group is whether you think this salesman is just blowing smoke on the lead time for a new 300h is the color scheme and package selection I would like, or whether there is really this type of delay in ordering the car in the exact way I would like it? I know I can start contacting dealers in other states, etc., but would like the input of the well-informed forum members here first. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. One last thing, what is the best way for me to search all the Lexus dealerships to see if one may have the car I am interested in.
The salesman is blowing smoke. There are plenty of 2023 ES300h in the S. Cal area and in particular Lexus of Beverly Hills has 77 ESH in their website. Most of them with Premium package are discounted $2.5K from MSRP. They are even discounting $2K on NX450H+s. Strangely no discount of NX350h

In fact, I just picked up my wife's 2023 NX350h last Sunday at MSRP and no add ons (bought it at Crown Lexus). Flew from SF Bay Area to LA, picked it up and drove 400 miles back to the bay area. SF Bay Area dealers are really short on NX350h and most are asking $2K markup or just put into the Wait List.
Old 04-26-23, 03:56 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexsc4
The salesman is blowing smoke. There are plenty of 2023 ES300h in the S. Cal area and in particular Lexus of Beverly Hills has 77 ESH in their website. Most of them with Premium package are discounted $2.5K from MSRP. They are even discounting $2K on NX450H+s. Strangely no discount of NX350h

In fact, I just picked up my wife's 2023 NX350h last Sunday at MSRP and no add ons (bought it at Crown Lexus). Flew from SF Bay Area to LA, picked it up and drove 400 miles back to the bay area. SF Bay Area dealers are really short on NX350h and most are asking $2K markup or just put into the Wait List.
Relative to the question asked, the relevant information in this post could fill the top of a pinhead. That's great; there are plenty of ESHs in S.Cal. There are likely plenty of ESHs in Washington or Oregon, possibly even Vegas. There might even be plenty in Montana! All of that is well and good, but it needs to provide more helpful info. Those interested in NXs would be grateful for your extensive rundown about your experience with that.

MikeND- when evaluating this poster's answer to your question, please consider the answer given and how it doesn't reflect any specific information regarding your inquiry. Discussing regions and other models like the NX, which makes no sense why that was brought up, and trying to make a correlation between your area and the model you are looking for, I am sure you can see the smoke being blown here is hot air!😁

After a nationwide search, I found a single Nightfall Mica with Premium Pkg. Lexus has an internal system they can use to do a deeper search. You'd be surprised at how few colors are produced. Of the 547 new 300 ESs I found, there were 3 Nightfall Micas and 11 Matador Red Micas. That being said, I wouldn't completely doubt the info. from your salesperson.
https://www.earnhardtlexus.com/new-P...DA1C18PU031240
Old 04-26-23, 05:22 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

I had to get lucky in December to find a new Premium 300h (not Lux or UL) at all, let alone in a color combo I wanted. Took a few weeks locally and on the phone. I was able to get it with zero dealer add ons as it had just come off the truck and the person in line to buy it backed out, I was ready to buy it cash that day so they didn’t start calling the next people.

Ive had a couple cars already with the NuLuxe which I really am wanted again after having owned lots of cars with leather before. Shame you can’t get the UL features with NuLuxe seats but them’s the breaks I guess.
Old 04-26-23, 05:39 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I had to get lucky in December to find a new Premium 300h (not Lux or UL) at all, let alone in a color combo I wanted. Took a few weeks locally and on the phone. I was able to get it with zero dealer add ons as it had just come off the truck and the person in line to buy it backed out, I was ready to buy it cash that day so they didn’t start calling the next people.

Ive had a couple cars already with the NuLuxe which I really am wanted again after having owned lots of cars with leather before. Shame ,you can’t get the UL features with NuLuxe seats but them’s the breaks I guess.
If Lexus ever did custom orders, I believe many would choose Nuluxe. Alas, they don't, so it'll likely never happen. But the choice would be nice. #Choices

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-26-23 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-27-23, 08:01 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4

Check AutoTrader. I just took a look there and there are several Nightfall Mica Blue available. Not sure how close to you or if any are exactly what you're looking for but take a look.
Old 04-27-23, 04:38 PM
MikeND
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. UltraLux22 - can you let me know how you did the "nationwide search" for the car. I have used Auto Tempest to come up with used cars with this color scheme, but have not found a way to search the Lexus new car inventory. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as if I am going to buy this car, I really want it in the color scheme (exterior and interior) that I prefer. I don't mind purchasing the car the way I want it and having it shipped to KC within the 48 states.
Old 04-27-23, 05:45 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Thanks for all the input. UltraLux22 - can you let me know how you did the "nationwide search" for the car. I have used Auto Tempest to come up with used cars with this color scheme, but have not found a way to search the Lexus new car inventory. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as if I am going to buy this car, I really want it in the color scheme (exterior and interior) that I prefer. I don't mind purchasing the car the way I want it and having it shipped to KC within 48 states.
Of course! Using Cargurus.com First, do a preliminary search based on location and make, New or Used. Then how wide you would like "to cast the net," and narrow the search by trim and color, etc., as shown in the second image. Find the listings then they can take you to the dealer's site, as I had pictured in my previous post. The one I found was in Phoenix.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h-carguru-hybrid.jpg   Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h-cargurus-hybrid-1.jpg   Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h-cargurus-hybrid-2.jpg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-27-23 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 11:56 AM
scharffnh
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe I heard that starting in 2022, the touchscreen has been moved up about 5" from the 2019-2021 models.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (08-17-23)
Old 05-25-23, 12:04 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep in mind, the listings on the websites, at least the So Cal dealers, will by default show the "in transit" cars as well as those on the lot. But you can toggle off the "in transit" in the filter options.
I just bought an ES300h this past weekend. I wanted a Lux or UL so that made it harder, and had particular colors and features I wanted , so that made it trickier, but within 2 days found what I wanted within 100 miles radius
If the OP wants the base model, there are usually several on the lot of each dealer, and many in transit too. As is often the case, the ones on the lot may more often be the less popular color combos.
Old 05-25-23, 12:05 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

also, at my usual local dealer, for popular color combos, some of the "in transit" ones are sold already ahead of time.
Old 05-25-23, 12:08 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

check also on the hybrid battery warranty. I forget exactly which year it was, but Lexus raised it from 8 years to 10 years
Old 08-09-23, 11:20 AM
MikeND
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2021 ES 300h - Premium Package from a BMW dealer in Florida. The car was delivered on Monday. Super clean interior/exterior with 25K miles. I paid 38K, about 13K off the sticker when new. The car has a Nightfall Mica exterior with a Chateau leather with Linear Dark Mocha wood trim interior. Thanks for all the advice, especially getting a '21 or '22 with the lithium-ion hybrid battery under the rear seat, leaving more truck room. The car has listed "optional equipment" of: 18 inch 10-spoke alloy wheels, blind spot monitoring w/ rear cross traffic alert and intuitive parking assist w/ auto braking, hands-free power open/close trunk, navigation/Mark Levinson audio package w/ 12.3 inch display, wireless charger, and wood trim with ambient lighting,

Car was missing the McGard key for the wheel locks, but it had the card with the listed McGard information so I ordered the wheel lock key from them. One question to the group. When I open either the driver's or front passenger's door at night, it displays a white light circle on the ground with the Lexus dealer name that originally sold the car. I am sure you can change the lens to display something else. Any suggestions as to what options are out there and where to order them?

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeND:
ESh (08-09-23), UTChE96 (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 12:52 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 990 Likes on 744 Posts

Congrats.
Ali Express/Amazon for the logo.
The following users liked this post:
MikeND (08-10-23)
Old 08-09-23, 01:14 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Good for you, not the best price but not the worst, I prefer to pay that price for a Lexus Preowned-Certifed from a Lexus dealer, to get all the extended warranty thingy and maintenance perks, great choice at the end of the day though.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing a 2-4 yr old Lexus ES 300h