ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Observations on Mark Levinson Audio on 2023 ES 350 - Average at best

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 02:06 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by asadani
I hear your explanation. I have had my surround turned off as well—some clear further findings.
Carplay is disabled, and Bluetooth is still .better. With EQ off, there is a slight improvement but not that huge as Carplay Wireless does not leverage the iphone's EQ and Bluetooth does.
This is in comparison to Bang & Olufsen that honestly is a night and day. You got to listen to it to believe it. ML is much better than my dad's Honda with factory radio for sure but it's average at its best.
Lexus could have taken this a notch up by adding cleaner bass modules as B&O vs, the boomy sound output with the ML

Furthermore, to this whole discussion of FLAC, why should I care when the music on my iPhone is being delivered? The audio settings are on the highest settings causing my data to go off the roof. The exact same source sounds like a nightclub in the Audi where as on the ML, it's a glorified boom box. I love the lexus for sure but in terms of music, they should have done better.
Don't you want to love ALL of your Lexus, especially the pricey parts? It would be best if you cared, and because you seem passionate about it means that, on some level, it is important enough to continue to express how disappointed you are! I mean, who doesn't love to bit** and moan? I certainly can't get through the day without a few sessions; otherwise, ya get backed up, and that's no good for anybody. I may not be able to assuage your dissatisfaction, but I'll gladly try and provide some insight to possibly, maybe make it a wee bit better. Like I always say, every little bit helps! You want to get the best your system can provide, even if you perceive that the B&O system produces higher quality in your ears; I'm trying to help you get the best from what you currently have. I was a bit dramatic in my previous post, but I am genuinely trying to help you achieve the best for what you currently have, and that ain't bad! And by the way, most of the high-end audio systems in luxury cars are owned by the same company, Samsung subsidiary Harman International. That includes B&O and Mark Levinson. They are merely produced and tuned to the price point that budgeting will allow for equipment and tuning. So I agree it could benefit from an equalizer beyond the three basics. Sometimes the saying, "Keep it simple stupid," shouldn't apply. And if this post seems to be a lot of fluff with no discernable actionable items, there's a reason for that. You must be ready to allow the ML into your life, or at least your ears.
You must lay aside your prejudices and have faith. Because until you are prepared to accept Mark Levinson audio into your life, or at least your ears, as your music savior, how can you ever be free to see (hear) it for its potential? So judge it not for what it isn't, B&O, but be open to what it could be if only you would give it what it needs!!!! High Res audio!

And if you criticize the lack of quality of your audio system and then indicate you don't care about the quality of the source, how is that not contradictory? At least, that's what I'm assuming you meant, but I'm just trying to take from the context clues of that statement. For the record, lower-resolution music may not sound "bad." Still, it will be missing some fidelity and nuance the original recording would produce due to the compression and removal of elements from the source, thus potentially giving the impression the audio system isn't performing up to expectations. Plus, at higher volumes, you will likely hear the artifacts and miss certain quality elements that would be retained in better audio sources. Again, I don't know what kind you use; the listenin' kind? Just sayin'. Still, your expectations and perceptions are your own, and don't let anyone; including me, tell you otherwise—even if I'm right!😉

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-14-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-14-23, 04:09 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a severe headache try to read few comments here I gave up, you guys take the audio aspect in a dam car wayyyy to serious LOL
Can't wait to hear how did you guys setup your surrounding audio on your living room or theater room at home
Old 04-14-23, 04:16 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988
I had a severe headache try to read few comments here I gave up, you guys take the audio aspect in a dam car wayyyy to serious LOL
Can't wait to hear how did you guys setup your surrounding audio on your living room or theater room at home
What?? Didn't you like how I tried to lighten the mood? I have failed.

On the flip side, oh wait, no cassette tapes anymore, so no flip side.

We don't talk about audio/visuals in the house anymore; you don't EVEN want to know! Plus, this is a car forum, not a house forum. But then again, it's not a Tesla forum either, yet it still gets plenty of airtime!

Yeah, we don't talk about that anymore!
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 04:18 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

It gave you a headache; you should have been the one trying to write it! Sheesh! 😉
Old 04-15-23, 05:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Geez, I hope that no one else asks any more questions about the audio system in our cars. For me it's done. I think everything that was asked and complained about was answered and more... Over and over. Even two threads going at the same time. Whew! enough... The most important people probably weren't even tuned in and don't give a crap... Lexus!!!
Old 04-15-23, 07:50 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
Geez, I hope that no one else asks any more questions about the audio system in our cars. For me it's done. I think everything that was asked and complained about was answered and more... Over and over. Even two threads going at the same time. Whew! enough... The most important people probably weren't even tuned in and don't give a crap... Lexus!!!
I agree! Can’t we talk about oil changes and tread depth?
Old 04-15-23, 08:36 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I agree! Can’t we talk about oil changes and tread depth?
Oil change threads have a kazillion posts too. All questions answered...
Old 04-15-23, 08:47 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

It's been marginally entertaining watching the blind leading the blind in this thread. Or perhaps, better stated, the deaf leading the deaf.
UltraLux22 (04-15-23)
Old 04-15-23, 09:07 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
Oil change threads have a kazillion posts too. All questions answered...
That was my intention in suggesting it. The sense of irony I meant to convey. I was trying to point out how spirited and long-winded and obviously overblown some topics can become. By suggesting another overblown topic. I really need to work on my communication skills.
So what's the best mileage interval to change my oil?

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-15-23 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-15-23, 09:10 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidZ
It's been marginally entertaining watching the blind leading the blind in this thread. Or perhaps, better stated, the deaf leading the deaf.
That's the spirit! People need to lighten up, right? Marginally entertaining? I was shooting for just slightly above average. Tough crowd! 😄
DavidZ (04-15-23)
Old 04-15-23, 10:35 AM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh that is a whole different story. I have the bose lifestyle 650 and that too underperforms. For a home in a few years, I've spaced out the b&o for home as I've seen that perform at the showroom. This is what I'm looking at.
Beolab 18 - Iconic Stereo Speakers for TV | B&O (bang-olufsen.com)

The Bose is good. very good to watch movies. It looks slim and clean. But I hardly watch much TV or even listen to music at home. My living room has two TVs. One is a Samsung frame that plays melodies for my cat and my dog when I'm away at work. The other is primarily switched off. That TV is a Samsung 8k Q900r which was by the way the worst purchase decision primarily due to the price. way too high
Old 04-15-23, 01:50 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by asadani
Oh that is a whole different story. I have the bose lifestyle 650 and that too underperforms. For a home in a few years, I've spaced out the b&o for home as I've seen that perform at the showroom. This is what I'm looking at.
Beolab 18 - Iconic Stereo Speakers for TV | B&O (bang-olufsen.com)

The Bose is good. very good to watch movies. It looks slim and clean. But I hardly watch much TV or even listen to music at home. My living room has two TVs. One is a Samsung frame that plays melodies for my cat and my dog when I'm away at work. The other is primarily switched off. That TV is a Samsung 8k Q900r which was by the way the worst purchase decision primarily due to the price. way too high

tell us more about your cat and dog and how they feel about the audio quality of your system I’m serious!!!!!!
Old 04-15-23, 01:57 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

tell us more about your cat and dog and how they feel about the audio quality of your system I'm serious!!!!!!
You don't want to be in the tv room on Football Night!
Attached Thumbnails Observations on Mark Levinson Audio on 2023 ES 350 - Average at best-cat-tv.gif   Observations on Mark Levinson Audio on 2023 ES 350 - Average at best-dog-tv.gif  
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-23, 03:29 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Bose 901's -- third rail of audio discussions. ;-)
LexFinally (06-07-24)
Old 06-05-24, 02:40 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Mods delete this post

Last edited by ESh; 06-05-24 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Observations on Mark Levinson Audio on 2023 ES 350 - Average at best