ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 06:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
looks like fire escape stairs material or something you’d put over a drain in the garden
Makes me love my FSport grill more and more each day even after four+ years of ownership.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (04-13-23), F3Woody (04-13-23), GS350Miami (04-15-23)
Old 04-13-23, 12:03 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 505 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Uuuggghhh - a copy of the new RX grill. It looks hideous.
Isn't that what the critics said/say about the spindle grill.

Regardless of ones liking or disliking either the spindle or new RX grill styles whenever you see a vehicle with either of those grill styles you know with absolute certainty you're looking at a Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (04-15-23)
Old 04-13-23, 06:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grp52
Isn't that what the critics said/say about the spindle grill.

Regardless of ones liking or disliking either the spindle or new RX grill styles whenever you see a vehicle with either of those grill styles you know with absolute certainty you're looking at a Lexus.
True. I've always like the spindle grilll even non FSport which my wife has on her RX. But the FSport is just a bit sexier😃 Not a fan of the new RX grill though.
Old 04-14-23, 07:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,613 Posts

The RX grill as I've said from the beginning looks unfinished and awkward. The big bubble beak looks out of place and does not seem to serve any purpose. It sits way higher than the headlights and overpowers them. (see green outline)

Then you have this awkward line molded, recessed into the beak. it appears to try to break up the beak attempting to solve the issue of the weird bubble and make it less awkward (see red outline.)

then you have the grill itself, see fuschia outline. That's the part that looks unfinished, along with the little hard to clean recessed diamonds above it.

This looks like an unfinshed mess lacking confidence. you betcha this beak will be redesigned for the mid cycle refresh. save this post and lets see if i'm right.

The old grill is clearly superior and well defined and perfectly angled. Great job!!

Old 04-14-23, 07:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Also I think a little bit of what Lexus is trying to do there is psychologically prepare its customers for a grill-less future in the next generation of cars. you see the spindle grill being recessed into the body, sort of disappearing. Still, it's ugly. I would've preferred cold turkey grill disappearance.
LS500Fan (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 08:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
The RX grill as I've said from the beginning looks unfinished and awkward. The big bubble beak looks out of place and does not seem to serve any purpose. It sits way higher than the headlights and overpowers them. (see green outline)

Then you have this awkward line molded, recessed into the beak. it appears to try to break up the beak attempting to solve the issue of the weird bubble and make it less awkward (see red outline.)

then you have the grill itself, see fuschia outline. That's the part that looks unfinished, along with the little hard to clean recessed diamonds above it.

This looks like an unfinshed mess lacking confidence. you betcha this beak will be redesigned for the mid cycle refresh. save this post and lets see if i'm right.

The old grill is clearly superior and well defined and perfectly angled. Great job!!
Couldn't agree more. And every time I see the new RX grill, it looks worse than the last time. I suspect we'll see some changes to that even in the next MY.
Old 04-14-23, 10:41 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 924 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Also I think a little bit of what Lexus is trying to do there is psychologically prepare its customers for a grill-less future in the next generation of cars. you see the spindle grill being recessed into the body, sort of disappearing. Still, it's ugly. I would've preferred cold turkey grill disappearance.
For once we agree, CT. Japanese corporate culture is notorious for making decisions by consensus, and then being extremely reluctant to give them up even in the face of overwhelming outside evidence. We saw that with Acura's notorious Beak grille, and IMO we're seeing it again here. I'd bet the resistance to abandoning the spindle all at once came 100% from officials within the company resisting change, not from consumers. A gradual weaning was probably the only way to even start selliing a change internally.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
E46CT (04-14-23), UltraLux22 (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 03:17 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 500 Likes on 347 Posts

These grilles are stunning and superior; maybe Lexus can take some inspiration. They are inspired by nature!

The one not from nature could also double as a forklift or snow plow, or bug catcher. Children could ride on the front lip like they are riding on the front handles of a bicycle. What fun! Damn, now I want one! FOMO.
Attached Thumbnails Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-tesla-grille.jpg   Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-tesla-mouth.jpeg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-14-23 at 03:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
ESh (04-14-23), GS350Miami (04-15-23), LexFinally (04-17-23), LS500Fan (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 03:32 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
These grilles are stunning and superior; maybe Lexus can take some inspiration. They are inspired by nature!

The one not from nature could also double as a forklift or snow plow, or bug catcher. Children could ride on the front lip like they are riding on the front handles of a bicycle. What fun! Damn, now I want one! FOMO.
It's for more Aerodynamic, I think Tesla did a good job with the look having to put the functionality on top.

I actually like the current new Lexus grill front end look on the RX, at this point it's mostly for the look, I mean we've been seeing the same big spindle grill of Lexus for almost 10 years, time for something new... Just don't just crop it smaller and slap to sedan and coupe LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by july1988:
GS350Miami (04-15-23), UltraLux22 (04-14-23)
Old 04-14-23, 03:45 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988
It's for more Aerodynamic, I think Tesla did a good job with the look having to put the functionality on top.

I actually like the current new Lexus grill front end look on the RX, at this point it's mostly for the look, I mean we've been seeing the same big spindle grill of Lexus for almost 10 years, time for something new... Just don't just crop it smaller and slap to sedan and coupe LOL
That's precisely the essence of what I was shooting for, but you said it best! It couldn't have been said any better unless you were driving in a Tesla!😉

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-14-23 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-14-23, 03:57 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
That's precisely the essence of what I was shooting for, but you said it best! It couldn't have been said any better unless you were driving in a Tesla!😉
stop the hate!!!! lmao
LexFinally (04-17-23)
Old 04-14-23, 04:06 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988

'88, I think you are on to something. I also like the new RX grille, particularly when its color is the same as its body. Black, I believe, is the best look overall because it hides how unattractive, even unfinished, it can appear. So I low-key want one, but only the fast one, the 500! Don't tell Tesla; they might get jealous because they will want the same color body paint to hide how ugly they look too!
Plus, Black is slimming!
Attached Thumbnails Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-wp-1662723709637.jpeg   Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-maxresdefault.jpeg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-14-23 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-14-23, 06:27 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 519 Likes on 319 Posts

Ugliest new car, hands down, is not the RX, but the Model Y.
ESh (04-15-23)
Old 04-14-23, 10:20 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Ugliest new car, hands down, is not the RX, but the Model Y.
Get a load of this mug! Not sure which end is which?

Some humor for you:

As the couple, leaving for vacation, began loading luggage into their new Crown, one of them screams, "That's NOT the TRUNK!" 🤡

You want more? ok

New taglines for Toyota.

The Crown- "I hate to see you coming, but I love to watch you leave!"

The Crown- 'We DO have a sense of humor'-- "TOYOTA!"

'Let's Go Places!' replaced 'Moving Forward!' as Toyota's new tagline. After the Crown was released, the slogan became 'Oops Wrong Turn'-- "TOYOTA!"

Who said the powers that be at Toyota weren't funny?

And I want my royalties when they start rollin' in!
Attached Thumbnails Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-img_1742.jpg   Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-img_1737.jpg   Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen-img_1740.jpg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-15-23 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-14-23, 10:52 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
For once we agree, CT.
Who said miracles don't exist! 😀
Japanese corporate culture is notorious for making decisions by consensus, and then being extremely reluctant to give them up even in the face of overwhelming outside evidence.
I'm not sure about the Japanese corporate culture having a lock on that one; I can think of quite a few examples; we are all adults here. A steady dose of selective exposure and a healthy diet of cognitive dissonance, the breakfast of champions, they may be on to something. Will that catch on anywhere else?
I do agree with you, though. They have made a very successful habit with that methodology. Who can argue with that kind of success?
It's worked on me! 99% of all of my cars have been Japanese. The only exception was that 1 time I was seduced by a German––BMW, and I had a tumultuous relationship, including 25 visits to the service center and 1 long, drawn-out battle in court, we settled, but I had to sign a non-disclosure, so I can't tell you I won BIG! What did you say about being extremely reluctant to give them up even in the face of overwhelming outside evidence?

We saw that with Acura's notorious Beak grille, and IMO, we're seeing it again here.
I was drawn to the beak myself, to the tune of 2 Acura TLs; had them both for a combined 3 months. Like Japanese Corporate Culture, I was also extremely reluctant to give them up even in the face of overwhelming outside evidence. I'm sensing a pattern here.

IMO we're seeing it again here. I'd bet the resistance to abandoning the spindle all at once came 100% from officials within the company resisting change, not from consumers. A gradual weaning was probably the only way to even start selliing a change internally.
Considering the new look is solid at the top, inline with the hood, and then; looks like it does, as you plinko down the front. It was quite a dramatic change for them, so it must be tough. But this is where they could take my advice. See, when I have a band-aid, and I know that if I go really slow peeling it off, it's gonna hurt only a little at a time, but I know I'm only prolonging the pain. Now I know ripping that sucker clean off will hurt like hell for a minute, but then it'll be over. Unless it keeps stinging, and then I know I'll regret trying something new. That regret makes me that much more resistant to change. I never learn!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-15-23 at 12:31 AM.
LexFinally (04-17-23)

Quick Reply: Styling Suggestions of 2025 Lexus ES Possibly Seen