ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 USB slot

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 02:29 AM
balta
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 USB slot

I don’t like where the USB slot is in my car up front under the radio because I don’t like how it looks with the cover up (first world problem I know). I like the way the interior looks with that cover down, just more aesthetically pleasing. But I can’t have that closed and connect to Apple CarPlay on any of the other USB slots in the car. Just out of curiosity is there any other alternative?
Old 04-19-23, 03:38 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Yes. Would you like to run the USB cable from the USB port under the tray to the center console/where the wireless charger is located and to be able to close the lid?
Old 04-19-23, 06:05 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you considered a wireless carplay option that would allow you to close the cover? The same type of USB cord for the wireless solution could also provide you with a memory stick option that would allow the cover to be closed, as well.

Last edited by MAMOSKO; 04-19-23 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-20-23, 12:14 AM
balta
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Have you considered a wireless carplay option that would allow you to close the cover? The same type of USB cord for the wireless solution could also provide you with a memory stick option that would allow the cover to be closed, as well.
I’ve considered the wireless CarPlay do you think it would only work on the USB slots that can actually access you to CarPlay like the front one? Because using a regular wire didn’t get my CarPlay with the other slots in the car. I assume the same would be for that stick. Plus if I used that stick how would the cover be able to close?
Old 04-20-23, 07:29 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

I have a 2022 and carplay works flawlessly with either of my USB's up front. I have a post in another thread showing the wireless carplay that I used allowing the cover to close. I'll add later for you to see. As to using a stick, I believe you could use a usb cable (just like the one used for the wireless carplay exceot a USB) and plug your stick into it, hiding it in the slot just above the front cup holder.
Old 04-20-23, 07:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Do like me and reroute the auxbox and usb wires. I was the first in the world and the first on the forum to do it. I also created a custom carpeted cover using a piece of excess stock Toyota carpeting. Search my post history.
I have quite a few of world's firsts for the 7ES community.

in 2006, i was also the world's first to completely tear down and analyze the bmw electronic fly by wire gas pedal.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 08:59 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Default Use of USB hub with forward console closed

Check out this solution, that I found to be quick and inexpensive with no modification to the car necessary. Cost is ~ $8 for the cord, $79 for Ottocast, and 2-5 minutes to install.

Below is the cord that worked for me (the one with the shorter body, on top, in the first picture)

See the actual link that the AliExpress vendor sent with a message in Chinese - I needed Google/Translate

这个是短体的USB您看看
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

It allows me to have the cord plugged in and close both the USB cover and the larger console cover with no problem. This kept me from having to remove the cover from the USB port while achieving wireless carplay, and keeping things tucked neatly out of the way.

You could also purchase a second cord with USB-A (ultra short) male to USB-A female to plug a stick into.

Note: I believe your USB hub cover is different than mine but I also have heard it can be easily removed... allowing use of the cords listed above.

BTW... I've been extremely pleased with the performance and reliability of the Ottocast for wireless Carplay.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails 2020 USB slot-ali-wire-1.jpeg   2020 USB slot-wireless-aa-1.jpeg   2020 USB slot-wireless-aa-2.jpeg   2020 USB slot-wireless-aa-3.jpeg  
The following 3 users liked this post by MAMOSKO:
F3Woody (04-20-23), landonm86 (04-20-23), YeahArea (01-18-24)
Old 04-20-23, 10:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Do like me and reroute the auxbox and usb wires. I was the first in the world and the first on the forum to do it. I also created a custom carpeted cover using a piece of excess stock Toyota carpeting. Search my post history.
I have quite a few of world's firsts for the 7ES community.

in 2006, i was also the world's first to completely tear down and analyze the bmw electronic fly by wire gas pedal.
Are you responsible for the SpaceX explosion today?
MAMOSKO (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 11:18 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by balta
I don’t like where the USB slot is in my car up front under the radio because I don’t like how it looks with the cover up (first world problem I know). I like the way the interior looks with that cover down, just more aesthetically pleasing. But I can’t have that closed and connect to Apple CarPlay on any of the other USB slots in the car. Just out of curiosity is there any other alternative?
Here are a few options. By chance, have you measured the distance flush from the USB entrance to the guestimated place the bottom of the lid would come to? These options might work, but I can not endorse them entirely as I don't use them, nor do I have "open cover syndrome,"😀 . Do the open cupholders give you hives? Ha!
Attached Thumbnails 2020 USB slot-flat-usb.jpg   2020 USB slot-short-thumb-2.jpg   2020 USB slot-short-thumb.jpg   2020 USB slot-side-usb.jpg  
balta (04-21-23)
Old 04-20-23, 12:36 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Check out this solution, that I found to be quick and inexpensive with no modification to the car necessary. Cost is ~ $8 for the cord, $79 for Ottocast, and 2-5 minutes to install.

Below is the cord that worked for me (the one with the shorter body, on top, in the first picture)

See the actual link that the AliExpress vendor sent with a message in Chinese - I needed Google/Translate

这个是短体的USB您看看

It allows me to have the cord plugged in and close both the USB cover and the larger console cover with no problem. This kept me from having to remove the cover from the USB port while achieving wireless carplay, and keeping things tucked neatly out of the way.

You could also purchase a second cord with USB-A (ultra short) male to USB-A female to plug a stick into.

Note: I believe your USB hub cover is different than mine but I also have heard it can be easily removed... allowing use of the cords listed above.

BTW... I've been extremely pleased with the performance and reliability of the Ottocast for wireless Carplay.

Cheers.

I did similar thing 2 years ago, I put the same cable between the console and the USB ports, the Carlinkit was under the console, hidden but last month I removed it because the dongle started to act funny. Now I am using the cable, I lowered the USB ports and I can close the lid.
Old 04-21-23, 07:25 AM
balta
7th Gear

这个是短体的USB您看看

Cheers.
Oh wow thank you
Old 04-21-23, 01:29 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

You bet! Glad to help. Post in the forum if you hit any roadblocks.
Old 07-08-23, 01:59 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

这个是短体的USB您看看

Cheers.
I'd like a cable like this one but 3' long with a lightening jack on it. I've got one, but it's not nearly as flat as this one. As a result, I can't close the lid all the way.
Old 07-12-23, 06:49 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

DavidZ, you might try hitting the link for the cord and ask the vendor if they have what you want. They were very responsive to me given we have a 12 hour time difference.

Alternately, you could purchase the 3" cord (with the short USB-A to the female USB-A, shown at the link) to bridge to the short lightening cord you own with that connection in the cupholder (or area above the cupholder. Clunky, but could possibly allow you to be plugged in and close the lid.

You do have me curious... what lightening device do you hold in the area with the cover closed?
Old 07-12-23, 01:09 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

DavidZ, you might try hitting the link for the cord and ask the vendor if they have what you want. They were very responsive to me given we have a 12 hour time difference.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

You do have me curious... what lightening device do you hold in the area with the cover closed?
I have an iPhone in my center console storage bin dedicated to my '19 ES. My regular cell phone is Android. Right now I have a 90 degree USB cable, but the lid doesn't quite close. That doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to be able to close the lid.
MAMOSKO (07-13-23)

Quick Reply: 2020 USB slot