ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2023 350 ES F Sport Design

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 12:49 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts
Default 2023 350 ES F Sport Design

I've been looking around for a 2023 Lexus F Sport DESIGN, just to see what one looks like in person and maybe drive one. The Design Package seems like a great idea, enabling folks with my preferences to have a car that is a little more sporty looking without having to buy the performance features we're not interested in. I notice BMW and Audi have been doing this same thing for some time, now. I'm curious as to how much those 19" wheels compromise the traditional 350 ES comfortable ride. I'd also like to see if the bolstered sears are better padded than those on my regular 350 ES (2021) and if the edge makes contact with my hip every time I enter the car to sit behind the wheel. Finally, I assume the spoiler and rear diffuser are standard parts of the Design package, right?
Would anyone owning/leasing one of these models please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-06-23, 02:07 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

I have a 2022 F sport 300h, which is comparable to the 2023 F Sport Design, and it is very comfy and luxurious (both mine and whoever rides in my car opinions).

The ride is "stiff" with the larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, so you feel more road imperfections. I say "stiff" because of the ES reputation of the past, but pretty much all cars in this class are going towards this more sporty feel. There is little body roll and the car overall feels planted even on the backroads. There is a noticeable difference in road noise between the 18" wheels and the 19" F Sport wheels from what I can remember of the UL I test drove. However the cabin is still quiet and the Michelin Primacy tires that came with the car are pretty good with noise and offer great comfort overall. The F Sport seats are perfect for my body type and I find to be far comfier than the standard seats and even the seats on the Ultra Luxury trim. The shape of the seats is longer and I feel like I'm sitting in them and not "on top" of them if that makes sense. The bolsters aren't too aggressive, but will hold me in nicely if I decide to take turns in a more spirited manner. The longest drive I've made was 2 hours each way and at no point did I feel any body fatigue.

The spoiler is standard on the F Sport and really serves no functional purpose other than aesthetics. I think the ES looks better with the trunk lid spoiler than without though.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (05-07-23)
Old 05-06-23, 06:36 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Im 4 1/2 years into FSport ownership and still like the ride. Love the seats and the cluster. The one downside with ANY low profile tires - they develop flat spots even overnight and you may feel some bumpiness the first mile or two until they smooth out in the morning. For me, the Non FSport version of this car would have been a non starter.
GS350Miami (05-07-23)
Old 05-07-23, 03:05 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Im 4 1/2 years into FSport ownership and still like the ride. Love the seats and the cluster. The one downside with ANY low profile tires - they develop flat spots even overnight and you may feel some bumpiness the first mile or two until they smooth out in the morning. For me, the Non FSport version of this car would have been a non starter.
F Sport design or F Sport handling?
Old 05-07-23, 03:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Denzlex
F Sport design or F Sport handling?
MY19 only offered FSport.
Old 05-07-23, 11:20 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

MY19 only offered FSport.
MY 2019 only offered which F Sport…..design or handling?
Old 05-08-23, 09:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

MY 2019 only offered which F Sport…..design or handling?
It was merely called FSport - just one trim option.
Old 05-08-23, 03:15 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

It was merely called FSport - just one trim option.
I see. Curious, what made a 19 F Sport an F sport? Was it cosmetics, or suspension enhancements, or both?
Old 05-08-23, 04:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I see. Curious, what made a 19 F Sport an F sport? Was it cosmetics, or suspension enhancements, or both?
Grill, cluster, spoiler, 19"wheels, nuluxe sport seats, metal hadori trim, paint colors not available otherwise and I guess optional AVS which I opted out of intentionally.
Denzlex (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 08:37 PM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In addition our 2019 FSport includes adaptive variable suspension tuning, performance dampers - Front and Rear, FSPORT Heated Leather Steering Wheel. The steering wheel package also adds paddle shifters. I'm not sure if the transmission tuning in Sport mode is different for a standard ES and F Sport.
Denzlex (05-09-23)
Old 05-08-23, 09:52 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KMiles
In addition our 2019 FSport includes adaptive variable suspension tuning, performance dampers - Front and Rear, FSPORT Heated Leather Steering Wheel. The steering wheel package also adds paddle shifters. I'm not sure if the transmission tuning in Sport mode is different for a standard ES and F Sport.
When you say -includes adaptive variable suspension and performance dampers, are you saying all the 19 F Sports had this? Or were they options? Do you know what year they started offering the choice between F Sport design and F Sport handling trims? I assumed it was the entire 7th gen, but apparently not.

Last edited by Denzlex; 05-09-23 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-09-23, 04:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

When you say -includes adaptive variable suspension and performance dampers, are you saying all the 19 F Sports had this? Or were they options? Do you know what year they started offering the choice between F Sport design and F Sport handling trims? I assumed it was the entire 7th gen, but apparently not.
AVS was optional in 2019. Black headliner was also part of the FSport trim that year.
Denzlex (05-09-23)
Old 05-10-23, 08:52 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

2023 was the first model year for the separate F-Sport design and handling packages. The addition of the design package was likely to address those buyers that loved the look of the F-sport but maybe didn't desire the ride/drive of the F-Sport, hence the separate handling package. So essentially, you get the look (exterior) but not the feel (driving/handling dynamics) in the design package. This also means that on the inside, the design pkg. is going to look about like any other ES. There is a reason they almost exclusively use F-Sport photos in their marketing and collateral. How many would love the sportier look without the extra stuff?

Also included in the handling package is an adaptive suspension system with a Sport+ mode in addition to the standard drive mode choices. You have F-Sport tuning. In addition, the F Sport handling package features a heated, F Sport-specific steering wheel. This is also the first year a panoramic glass roof has been available as an option on the F-Sport, but in the design package only. Also, new/updated for 23 MY is a new Ash Bamboo trim, Macadamia upholstery color, redesigned center console with a sunglass holder, revised cup holder location, and wireless charger pad relocation outside the armrest console. Also, Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Hey Lexus assist software, and Sayonara to the touchpad, which I didn't hate that much.

I would look at it like this; everything you can see (exterior) but not "feel" would be the design—handling should be self-explanatory, but I can help if you need me to. Outside = Vroom Vroom, inside = ho-hum. 😁

Last edited by UltraLux22; 05-10-23 at 11:23 AM.
Denzlex (05-10-23)
Old 05-10-23, 10:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Grill, cluster, spoiler, 19"wheels, nuluxe sport seats, metal hadori trim, paint colors not available otherwise and I guess optional AVS which I opted out of intentionally.
I think also black headliner, usually brake booster fine tuning, and the chassis dampers.
Old 05-10-23, 10:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Haven't verified on ES, but on CT, the CT200h F Sport got its own brake booster part#. as to what was different about it i don't know. CT200h was a great unique car.

Quick Reply: 2023 350 ES F Sport Design