Modifications with Techstream

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 11:16 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Modifications with Techstream

Hi All,
Is it possible to disable the requirement to hold the steering while on cruise mode using techstream? I do know it is a safety feature but just wanted to know if that was possible.
I have disabled the seatbelt chime. Next thing I'm going to disable is the automatic roll down of the rear shade on the initiation of the reverse gera. A lot of times the reverse works just fine with the camera displays. The constant roll down of the blind will kill the motor faster IMO.
Old 05-16-23, 02:41 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

No way to disable that. Check the comma.ai, installing it you will have full autonomous drive.

Old 05-16-23, 03:36 AM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ESh
No way to disable that. Check the comma.ai, installing it you will have full autonomous drive.
I would never want to mod my car so much to get a feature. The only thing I would like to have is to remove the requirement to hold the steering. But thanks for the info, I never new this existed.
Old 05-16-23, 09:25 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by asadani
I would never want to mod my car so much to get a feature. The only thing I would like to have is to remove the requirement to hold the steering. But thanks for the info, I never new this existed.
It cannot be disabled for safety reasons. I have heard but not tested but if you put a small weight (water bottle perhaps?) in the bottom left open area of the steering wheel it can help reduce the number of nags.

The steering wheel is using a torque sensor, so if you have both hands on the wheel you are "balancing" the weight of the wheel and you will get more nags. You could also consider using one hand on the wheel on the lower left or right side of the wheel, that should help reduce the nags too because you will naturally cause the steering wheel to move in either direction more.

If I drove more I would probably try Comma.ai. You can also turn off lane centering and then the nags should go away but you need to steer manually like the olden days.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 05-16-23 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 12:16 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

One bottle helps. Tried many times.
Old 05-16-23, 03:07 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I commute about 76 miles each way and have tried the water bottle, but doesn't seem to work. I may opt for the Open Pilot and Comma.AI option. It's quite an investment, but I hear lots of good things about it.
Old 05-16-23, 10:42 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
It cannot be disabled for safety reasons. I have heard but not tested but if you put a small weight (water bottle perhaps?) in the bottom left open area of the steering wheel it can help reduce the number of nags.

The steering wheel is using a torque sensor, so if you have both hands on the wheel you are "balancing" the weight of the wheel and you will get more nags. You could also consider using one hand on the wheel on the lower left or right side of the wheel, that should help reduce the nags too because you will naturally cause the steering wheel to move in either direction more.

If I drove more I would probably try Comma.ai. You can also turn off lane centering and then the nags should go away but you need to steer manually like the olden days.
I've noticed that the steering does not follow a pattern of simple holding, you literarily have to hold it properly for the nag to go away. I was hoping this is a configurable item but I believe not. I'm not into modifying my car and the comma.ai requires a bit of configuration. I was hoping there may be an attachment that can be put on the steering like how it is done in the tesla's.