ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2015 gs350 or 2019 es350 f sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 09:28 AM
ninaminama
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 gs350 or 2019 es350 f sport?

Hey club lexus! Its been a long time since I have been active on this forum, last time I was here was 2016.

I really need some advice:

2015 gs 350 or 2019 es 350 F sport

So this is currently my 3rd gs 350. I had a 3rd gen gray but it leaked oil so badly it stink like rotten eggs when the car would speed up so I was able to trade it for this current white 4th gen I am in now. Before that GRAY 3RD GEN I had a white 2nd gen. I’m really a GS girl my mom always bought es as I was growing up and I would always be like get a GS the ES is for people up in age (no offense lol and now I want one). But the way the body of the new es looks (sporty and aggressive) I’m considering trading this 2015 gs 350 for a 2019 es 350 f sport.

I currently owe the same amount as the 2015 is worth about 13k. My mom said I should pay it off and sell it but I feel that the value would go down because of added miles I’m currently at 145,000. I bought it used with 40k miles and it been very good to me, however small things like flickering headlights and squeaks here and there have me wondering if I should trade it while I can. I bought it for 28k and owe 13k. I feel like I got about 15k worth out of it, so before I start having to fix things here and there and there……I have done the regular maintenance tune up and oil change.

Now I do like the gs especially since it is not being made anymore.

There are a few things I am considering. In the 2015 gs I have a rear sun shade and the button press to close the trunk, I also like the display screen I feel like the es screen may be prone to sun damage eventually because it kind sticks out to me as opposed to the 2015 gs screen.

Now I like the es 350 because it is an f sport which ive never had before and that it also uses regular gas as opposed to the gs I always use 91 gas.

I actually had the es as a loaner and I liked how smooth it drove but couldn’t wait to get back into my gs.

So what should I do? HOLD ON THE 2015 GS350 OR TRADE IT FOR THE 2019 ES 350 F SPORT ASKING PRICE IS 36K.

I feel if I get the 2019 es 350 fsport it would hold better value in the long run and I kind of get a new car since the dealer has to get it in the right condition to sell it. Im not desperate as I am very happy and would be sad to let my gs go but just trying to figure out some options.I don’t mind paying more than the 345 I currently pay for a newer car but I am also content with not doing so either of that makes sense….okay enough rambling lol

I asked a service tech guy at the Lexus dealer should I trade my gs for the es that was there and he told me he would keep the GS….so I did a little longer and now im here soooo what do all think is the best option? THANK YOU & APPRECIATE YOU IN ADVANCE 😊
Old 05-23-23, 09:56 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Considerations:

•The ES, even as an F Sport, won't handle anywhere near as well as the GS. In that regard, the service technician was right.

•The GS is generally a more expensively built and finer car than the ES.

•Your GS has already done most of its depreciating. That shouldn't be an urgent issue for you at all. Likewise, the cost of trading will be so high that it will obliterate the savings from regular gas.

•The most valid reason to consider trading is if you just can't, or don't want to, live with the gradually increasing failures of an older car. If absolute reliability and freedom from breakdowns is of absolutely paramount important to you, I'd make the move. Otherwise, you're better off where you are.
The following users liked this post:
ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 10:16 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

Good points by @LexFinally
I've seen more than one "Man, I shoulda held onto that car" comment on here.
The following 2 users liked this post by F3Woody:
LexFinally (05-26-23), ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 12:45 PM
ninaminama
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Considerations:

•The ES, even as an F Sport, won't handle anywhere near as well as the GS. In that regard, the service technician was right.

•The GS is generally a more expensively built and finer car than the ES.

•Your GS has already done most of its depreciating. That shouldn't be an urgent issue for you at all. Likewise, the cost of trading will be so high that it will obliterate the savings from regular gas.

•The most valid reason to consider trading is if you just can't, or don't want to, live with the gradually increasing failures of an older car. If absolute reliability and freedom from breakdowns is of absolutely paramount important to you, I'd make the move. Otherwise, you're better off where you are.
*************************Thank you so much for such a detailed response. I was figuring that the f sport would be faster etc. but realistically that car will eventually have its own wear and tear. I've actually never owned a car the 2000 gs300 was rear ended when I owed less than 5k on it. then I got into the leaky oil 2008 gs350 it was a real looker but the stench was embarrassing using that etc button to drive fast then stop at the light and ppl are rolling up their windows And there I am looking around as if I don't know that the smell is coming from my car. so I owed about 10k on it and I traded it for the 2015 gs350 white with black interior. The dealer appraised it at 10 so it caland so economy was it even trade and I just put down money on the new car but crazy thing is I will see my car that 2008 around town and one day I stopped the driver and ask them about it and They bought it with all of the same problems that I traded it for. At least oil so bad that every 2 or 3 weeks I would have to refill the oil because it was almost none in there and it was all accumulated at the bottom of the car The screen also didn't work but played music. if I can find a pic I'll post it. that car looked really nice.

I usually just trade the car before it starts to give me a whole heap of problems but perhaps it's more than likely I'll keep my gs. I kinda anticipate that with it being a f sport that its parts and labor would be more expensive.

Thank you for taking time out to to help me with this, see lexus drivers have sense I love that:-)
LexFinally (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 12:50 PM
ninaminama
Rookie

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Good points by @LexFinally
I've seen more than one "Man, I shoulda held onto that car" comment on here.
hey woody.....that's how I felt about the 2000 gs300 I wanted that bubble eye car sooo bad I was going to keep it and run it up to 400k miles if possible. it was a platinum edition too but someone ran into me and they totaled it out
Old 05-23-23, 12:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

The 2015 GS has a bigger and deeper trunk, with more steering feel, with sharper changes in direction, more terminal grip, a tighter turning circle for more U-turns and fewer 3-point turns, more throttle-controlled power oversteer for less hand work fighting understeer, less self-centering of the steering wheel, no torque steer, with superior quality of plastics, superior quality of leather and superior quality of stitching.

Get 2019 ES if you want fresher styling, more legroom, a slightly softer ride, more modern equipment levels including AC and AA, with a whopping 1600 Watt ML etc, and perhaps easier for a novice to drive in the snow.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-23-23 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
LexFinally (05-23-23), ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 01:06 PM
ninaminama
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 2015 GS has a bigger and deeper trunk, with more steering feel, with sharp changes in direction, more terminal grip, a tighter turning circle for more U-turns and fewer 3-point turns, more throttle-controlled power oversteer for less hand work fighting understeer, less self-centering of the steering wheel, no torque steer, with superior quality of plastics, superior quality of leather and superior quality of stitching.

Get 2019 ES if you want fresher styling, more legroom, a slightly softer ride, more modern equipment levels including AC and AA, with a whopping 1600 Watt ML etc, and perhaps easier for a novice to drive in the snow.
As a loaner that's what kind of led me to the es it's very smooth and light and in sport mode or sport plus I know iid notice a difference in speed. I have 2 kids age 15 and 11 so the es would give us a little more room......but im sure dried up French fries will find their way in their area in no time.....the color combo is the same as what I have now white ext black interior. and my emblems I had painted black. I've never had an f sport so the badge kinda grabs me too ehhh but I've gotten use to using the trunk button press too I was telling my daughter the es350 u have to close by hand how ghetto lol since I've been exposed to these luxury features lol
Old 05-23-23, 01:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ninaminama
As a loaner that's what kind of led me to the es it's very smooth and light and in sport mode or sport plus I know iid notice a difference in speed. I have 2 kids age 15 and 11 so the es would give us a little more room......but im sure dried up French fries will find their way in their area in no time.....the color combo is the same as what I have now white ext black interior. and my emblems I had painted black. I've never had an f sport so the badge kinda grabs me too ehhh but I've gotten use to using the trunk button press too I was telling my daughter the es350 u have to close by hand how ghetto lol since I've been exposed to these luxury features lol
Be careful.
In the first 30 minutes or 1 hour of an ES F Sport loaner, it feels so soft, smooth and quiet.
However, after an hour or so of continuous driving, the ES F Sport is much more busy, firmly suspended and tiring.

Your 2015 GS is a full-blooded sports sedan.
The springs and shock absorbers are really tied down.
It handles almost like a compact.
However, the 2015 GS has a tiring ride!
If you want your 2015 to ride better, then retrofit with 2019-20 coil springs and shock absorbers, combined with downgrading to 18" wheels on touring-type tires.
ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 03:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

You sound like you're young from the post, so if I were you just pay off the GS and enjoy it. Same engine, just turned a different way, however, mostly paid off and a higher quality interior.

Don't assume the 2019 ES won't have rattles and squeaks cause oh boy will it. Fix the rattles yourself in the GS!
ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 04:30 PM
ESAsh
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think going to a first year ES is great, I would keep the GS in your case. When I was at the Lexus dealer I was tossing up between a 2013 gs450h and a 2023 es300h which was almost twice the price, walked away with the ES, but I have a big preference for new cars, the GS was the better car in many ways, certainly the steering feel, body control, ML sound, were better, but I think the interior design is now outdated, as well as the infotainment, the ES wins in that regard. Also the 3rd gen hybrid in the GS was no where near as good as the 4th gen in the ES, at take off it would switch to the petrol engine at maybe 6mph, while the ES would do up to 15mph, as well as EV mode up to 70mph rather than 35mph in the GS, but that doesn't matter in your case.
ninaminama (05-23-23)
Old 05-23-23, 06:11 PM
ninaminama
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
You sound like you're young from the post, so if I were you just pay off the GS and enjoy it. Same engine, just turned a different way, however, mostly paid off and a higher quality interior.

Don't assume the 2019 ES won't have rattles and squeaks cause oh boy will it. Fix the rattles yourself in the GS!
I just made 34 may 5 I’m not much of a car buff but I like what I like and I’m practical too I’m going to consider changing the shocks like the other person suggested also thank you I appreciate it
E46CT (05-24-23)
Old 05-24-23, 08:18 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 2015 GS has a bigger and deeper trunk, with more steering feel, with sharper changes in direction, more terminal grip, a tighter turning circle for more U-turns and fewer 3-point turns, more throttle-controlled power oversteer for less hand work fighting understeer, less self-centering of the steering wheel, no torque steer, with superior quality of plastics, superior quality of leather and superior quality of stitching.

Actually, I don’t believe the 2019 has Android Auto, only Apple CarPlay. It was advertised with AA but many members here have complained that it never arrived until the 2020 model year. Just in case that should enter your calculus for the trade…
Old 05-24-23, 11:44 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Actually, I don’t believe the 2019 has Android Auto, only Apple CarPlay. It was advertised with AA but many members here have complained that it never arrived until the 2020 model year. Just in case that should enter your calculus for the trade…
...Correct
Old 05-24-23, 12:00 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

If handling and ride are important the ES might be a mistake. I’m starting to regret my December 300h purchase and looking into doing suspension mods or trading in for a car with a proper forged aluminum suspension again.

The ES is a great car in a lot of ways especially the NVH refinement, but it’s disappointing handling and ride compared to my old LS and various euro sedans is a bummer.
E46CT (05-24-23)
Old 05-24-23, 04:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
If handling and ride are important the ES might be a mistake. I’m starting to regret my December 300h purchase and looking into doing suspension mods or trading in for a car with a proper forged aluminum suspension again.

The ES is a great car in a lot of ways especially the NVH refinement, but it’s disappointing handling and ride compared to my old LS and various euro sedans is a bummer.
Agreed this was one of my complaints before I sold my ES. In 2021 I stated how I wasn't a fan of the stamped steel Camry suspension -- very reliable and low cost sure, but low tech and unrefined ride wise. It's Toyota's Profit suspension.

Aluminum is a very good thing for suspension!

Quick Reply: 2015 gs350 or 2019 es350 f sport?