ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2023 ES 350 Navigation issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-23, 03:03 PM
Pach
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 ES 350 Navigation issues

Anyone else having issues with the new cloud based navigation system? It seems like the older version was more user friendly. I cannot find the option to select either the fastest or the shortest route. Thanks
Old 06-01-23, 04:44 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

I tried it a few times when I got my 23 with nav and big screen, but ultimately prefer using screen mirroring with my iphone as the UI is a bit better for stuff like this and the turn by turn will still appear on the dash and hud if you want it to
Old 06-01-23, 04:59 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pach
Anyone else having issues with the new cloud based navigation system? It seems like the older version was more user friendly. I cannot find the option to select either the fastest or the shortest route. Thanks
I'm now week 2 into my new 2023 ES300h. I used the Nav the first couple of days, and it gave me really whacky routes for where I was going without good or rational adjustments for traffic pattern. SO quickly I have switched to using Car Play (so nice to have apple car play on this new gen!) and running Waze through Car Play. Waze has always been my favorite Navigation app, in my 6th gen I just had my cell phone sitting in a cupholder running waze, even though I had the 6th gen nav also!
So I'm using Waze again, but in a much more sophisticated way having it run through CarPlay!

I didnt particularly want Nav with this new car but it happened to be on the car . oh well. It is nice to have the big touchsreen but I think I wont be using the Nav and not signing up for the subscription when the trial ends (I think I have 3 years?).

The following users liked this post:
F3Woody (06-02-23)
Old 06-02-23, 09:04 PM
BlainePDX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The first time I used the navigation it came up with horrible directions. The most bizarre part was with this lovely bridge, which has a small intersection at each end. It shows a route crossing the bridge, but every time I got near the bridge it would turn me away from the bridge. The only way I could actually get onto the bridge was to do the opposite of its directions! Now I use Google Maps on Android Auto when I need real directions.

Old 06-03-23, 10:25 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree. I had similar weird stuff. Now I will pull up the map just if I want to see where I am, but I dont use the direction feature - just waze for that
Its a bit of a waste of the big screen - which is now a large screen for Apple Car play pretty much. If i had the time and option to pick exactly which features I wanted, I would have left out Nav, and instead got the ML audio, if that is even possible to get ML without Nav, I dont even know. (on the lots - It was hard to find cars with ML and if they had ML they seemed to all have Nav also)
but thats ok, as with my last ES, I'll just have Nav and not use it....
Old 06-03-23, 09:20 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

I think the bigger screen is higher quality though, wife has a 23 IS350 FS with the smaller non nav screen and the resolution and contrast are terrible compared to my ES big screen. Night and day.
The following users liked this post:
bostonsnow (06-04-23)
Old 06-05-23, 07:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by BlainePDX
The first time I used the navigation it came up with horrible directions. The most bizarre part was with this lovely bridge, which has a small intersection at each end. It shows a route crossing the bridge, but every time I got near the bridge it would turn me away from the bridge. The only way I could actually get onto the bridge was to do the opposite of its directions! Now I use Google Maps on Android Auto when I need real directions.
Is there a toll on that bridge? If so, your settings may "avoid toll roads".
Old 06-05-23, 09:27 AM
BlainePDX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Is there a toll on that bridge? If so, your settings may "avoid toll roads".
No, there's no toll. The route did have us crossing the bridge, but every time we'd get near (from both sides!) it the navigation would tell us to turn the opposite direction.
Old 06-05-23, 09:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by BlainePDX
No, there's no toll. The route did have us crossing the bridge, but every time we'd get near (from both sides!) it the navigation would tell us to turn the opposite direction.
Bizarre but it's software - garbage in garbage out. I've even had WAZE route me through a dead end street once.