ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 navigation screen resolution for carlinkit 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 07:14 AM
kentist
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019 navigation screen resolution for carlinkit 4.0

I recently got this car and a carlinkit 4.0 to get wireless android auto. It was about $50 from US sellers on ebay so I figured why not. Installation is very easy you just plug it in and pair it to your phone.
My main issue is the screen size of the AA uses only the middle part and resolution looks squished. I found in carlinkit's website that you can change the resolution by accessing a settings page by going to ip 192.168.50.2 from your phone browser. Anyone have an idea what's the ideal setting for this screen?
Old 06-25-23, 12:19 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 505 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by kentist
I recently got this car and a carlinkit 4.0 to get wireless android auto. It was about $50 from US sellers on ebay so I figured why not. Installation is very easy you just plug it in and pair it to your phone.
My main issue is the screen size of the AA uses only the middle part and resolution looks squished. I found in carlinkit's website that you can change the resolution by accessing a settings page by going to ip 192.168.50.2 from your phone browser. Anyone have an idea what's the ideal setting for this screen?
According to Apple's WWDC 2016 presentation on CarPlay standard display resolutions supported are:

800 x 480
960 x 540
1280 x 720
1920 x 720

While CarPlay can support non-standard screen sizes, Lexus most likely went with an automotive grade LCD panel of an easily sourced standard size.

Given the physical size and perceived display resolution of the 12.3 inch display, try one of the "_ x 720" resolutions. 1280 x 720 is bog standard 720p resolution and 1920 x 720 is a higher aspect ratio that bog standard 1080p's 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio.
Old 06-25-23, 02:34 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts

You will just have to try them to see. I use the carlinkit Tbox Plus and screen resolution is automatic filling whole screen super sharp and turns it into an android tablet. It has the wireless capability but I don't use it as the google maps is full screen with speedometer.
Old 06-25-23, 04:43 PM
kentist
10th Gear

I tried a couple of options but default auto fills the screen best on the settings menu before loading AA, I think it might be an issue of android auto wireless from phone vs native android box like yours.
Old 07-03-23, 03:19 PM
LixLex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same carlinkit device - tried a combination of different resolutions on carlinkit and in android auto developer options. Couldn't get anything to work besides the two black bars at the side or a full screen-but-blown up version where I cannot see the top and bottom of the screens.
On the bright side, I purchased a Bluetooth mouse since I thought I needed one to get this to work but I have no issues controlling the interface with the cars touchpad so I never bothered with the mouse.
Old 07-04-23, 09:08 AM
kentist
10th Gear

Yeah I've given up on it, funnily enough if you use apple carplay wireless through this dongle it displays fullscreen in perfect resolution, i think it's an android auto layout thing.
Old 07-06-23, 07:00 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kentist
Yeah I've given up on it, funnily enough if you use apple carplay wireless through this dongle it displays fullscreen in perfect resolution, i think it's an android auto layout thing.
There’s your solution upgrade to an iPhone…lol
Old 07-07-23, 06:21 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

still on the search for a good casting dongle so I don't have to switch to an iphone this year
Old 07-07-23, 06:47 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts

Like I have said before I use a carlinkit T Box plus and turns the whole screen into an android tablet. My car is 2020 so I use either bluetooth mouse or touchpad.
Old 07-09-23, 11:33 AM
fallyn
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Ottocast U2-X works pretty well for wireless Android Auto (in 2019 ES with wired Carplay only). Biggest downside is the trackpad seems to act like arrow keys. That part is pretty tedious. There is a newer model U2-X Pro but I suspect it acts the same.
Old 07-27-23, 07:05 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Quick review after some Prime day shopping.

I bought the
Carlinkit Box Max Carlinkit Box Max
per recommendation of alextv but nothing happened when I plugged it in. Instructions said to click on "carplay" button on infotainment system but our 7ES only says Projection until we plug in an iPhone. Watched several videos and tried to figure it out but eventually gave up and returned it. Maybe because I have a 2019?

Ended up getting the
Ottocast U2-X Pro Ottocast U2-X Pro
and it works fine. Exactly what fallyn had said, biggest downside is the trackpad acts like arrow keys. If you're trying to type, you have to keep flicking down across the entire keyboard to get from Q to A...True, you can keep flicking until you get to the button to enter address on your phone but still very tedious. AA allows for split screen and I usually have my music on the right screen but it sometimes goes black until I reopen it again. Not the end of the world but kind of annoying. You also can't see the track on your instrument cluster. Load time is about 35-40 seconds but have notice that it would be about 20 seconds if I had just turned off my car and turned it on again (like when I open my driveway gate). There's about a full 1 second delay when you press next to switch tracks. Google maps and Waze are seamless. Haven't had any issues with it disconnecting or becoming unresponsive. Would I buy it again for $99 so I don't have to switch to an iphone? Sure.

Honorable mention of this
carplay dongle carplay dongle
. Bought it for ****s and giggles because I was previously using my Samsung Note 20 Ultra to hotspot an old iphone to connect for Carplay. It works but zzzz.. Anyways, works very seamlessly and load up time is like....10-15 seconds? half second delay when switching tracks but no complaints other than that.
Old 07-27-23, 07:29 AM
LixLex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesley248

I bought the Carlinkit Box Max per recommendation of alextv but nothing happened when I plugged it in. Instructions said to click on "carplay" button on infotainment system but our 7ES only says Projection until we plug in an iPhone. Watched several videos and tried to figure it out but eventually gave up and returned it. Maybe because I have a 2019?

Ended up getting the Ottocast U2-X Pro and it works fine. Exactly what fallyn had said, biggest downside is the trackpad acts like arrow keys. If you're trying to type, you have to keep flicking down across the entire keyboard to get from Q to A...True, you can keep flicking until you get to the button to enter address on your phone but still very tedious. AA allows for split screen and I usually have my music on the right screen but it sometimes goes black until I reopen it again. Not the end of the world but kind of annoying. You also can't see the track on your instrument cluster. Load time is about 35-40 seconds but have notice that it would be about 20 seconds if I had just turned off my car and turned it on again (like when I open my driveway gate). There's about a full 1 second delay when you press next to switch tracks. Google maps and Waze are seamless. Haven't had any issues with it disconnecting or becoming unresponsive. Would I buy it again for $99 so I don't have to switch to an iphone? Sure.

Honorable mention of this carplay dongle. Bought it for ****s and giggles because I was previously using my Samsung Note 20 Ultra to hotspot an old iphone to connect for Carplay. It works but zzzz.. Anyways, works very seamlessly and load up time is like....10-15 seconds? half second delay when switching tracks but no complaints other than that.
Do you have the 12.3 or 8 inch screen? And is Google Maps full screen?
Old 07-27-23, 07:41 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LixLex
Do you have the 12.3 or 8 inch screen? And is Google Maps full screen?
I have the 12.3 and both Waze and Google maps takes up the full screen or I can do a split with Spotify. It looks like it takes up the full screen natural without looking like it's been stretched. If I were to nitpick, I do see very slight pixilation on some parts of the map such as the font but it's not worth something to fuss over about.
Old 07-27-23, 08:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesley248

I bought the Carlinkit Box Max per recommendation of alextv but nothing happened when I plugged it in. Instructions said to click on "carplay" button on infotainment system but our 7ES only says Projection until we plug in an iPhone. Watched several videos and tried to figure it out but eventually gave up and returned it. Maybe because I have a 2019?

Ended up getting the Ottocast U2-X Pro and it works fine. Exactly what fallyn had said, biggest downside is the trackpad acts like arrow keys. If you're trying to type, you have to keep flicking down across the entire keyboard to get from Q to A...True, you can keep flicking until you get to the button to enter address on your phone but still very tedious. AA allows for split screen and I usually have my music on the right screen but it sometimes goes black until I reopen it again. Not the end of the world but kind of annoying. You also can't see the track on your instrument cluster. Load time is about 35-40 seconds but have notice that it would be about 20 seconds if I had just turned off my car and turned it on again (like when I open my driveway gate). There's about a full 1 second delay when you press next to switch tracks. Google maps and Waze are seamless. Haven't had any issues with it disconnecting or becoming unresponsive. Would I buy it again for $99 so I don't have to switch to an iphone? Sure.

Honorable mention of this carplay dongle. Bought it for ****s and giggles because I was previously using my Samsung Note 20 Ultra to hotspot an old iphone to connect for Carplay. It works but zzzz.. Anyways, works very seamlessly and load up time is like....10-15 seconds? half second delay when switching tracks but no complaints other than that.
Is the Ottocast plugNplay and nothing more complicated? I have a 2019 as well with no AA and might get this just to project WAZE.
Old 07-27-23, 08:19 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Is the Ottocast plugNplay and nothing more complicated? I have a 2019 as well with no AA and might get this just to project WAZE.
Yep. Plug and play

Quick Reply: 2019 navigation screen resolution for carlinkit 4.0