ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

solutions for uncomfortable headrest angle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 09:59 AM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I just checked. The 2018 headrests do indeed fit the 2022 . Should be an easy swamp to keep your upholstery but install it on the the headrest you decide to use.
One thing, the foam does not have to be removed completely. find the screw location with fingers then make a small slit in foam, just enough to get screwdriver in there.
When I took the headrest out I saw the double sided tape is loose, so what, I keep headrest down anyway. Maybe an upholster could get the thing together tight. I will check my local area.
My feelings are that at the factory no one checks the position of the headrest mechanism. I don't know.
Still if they are the same, why switch? Just take apart, or get someone to do it. You can use the passenger headrest if it takes awhile.
. Good Luck

Last edited by bullnobull; 07-02-23 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 05:25 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 541 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by bullnobull
... However I also have a 2018 ES300h premium for the wife.
The 2018 headrests were too far forward. Out of desperation I pulled out headrest, put it in my wood vice up side down and took the cover off, a real pain.
Then unscrewed the plastic frame (screws are under the foam, use fingers to find screws) to get to the mechanism. What I found was an old style three-click headrest (remember? pull forward and it moved into different positions going back). It was in the forward position. I put my screwdriver in the ratchet area, played with it. It released and moved to the back position. I was shocked but happy.
Putting it back together was hard because the buttons on the cover were so tight. I ended up using double-sided tape and pushed the headrest down so nothing was visible.
I am no pro, but this allowed me to keep car and be comfortable.
Hope this work-around helps, Good Luck!
You don't have to do that head restraint disassembly on a 2018 ES 300h's head restraint to adjust the horizontal position. Those head restraints (per the LEXUS 2018 ES300H OWNER'S MANUAL on page 135) adjust just like the 7th generation horizontally adjustable head restraints:
Horizontal adjustment

The position of the head restraint can be adjusted forward in 4 stages.

If the head restraint is pulled forward from the foremost position, it will return to the rearmost position.
wrangler (02-26-24)
Old 07-02-23, 06:47 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bullnobull
I just checked. The 2018 headrests do indeed fit the 2022 . Should be an easy swamp to keep your upholstery but install it on the the headrest you decide to use.
One thing, the foam does not have to be removed completely. find the screw location with fingers then make a small slit in foam, just enough to get screwdriver in there.
When I took the headrest out I saw the double sided tape is loose, so what, I keep headrest down anyway. Maybe an upholster could get the thing together tight. I will check my local area.
My feelings are that at the factory no one checks the position of the headrest mechanism. I don't know.
Still if they are the same, why switch? Just take apart, or get someone to do it. You can use the passenger headrest if it takes awhile.
. Good Luck
this is awesome thank you! Very informative!
Old 07-02-23, 07:12 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

yes, I read that in owners manual too. The older models worked. Some reason 2018 did not release. I had to do more
I just tried the passenger side of my 2022 it's locked in position. happily the both sides were in the correct position when i picked them up.

Last edited by bullnobull; 07-02-23 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 02:37 PM
malignancy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I broke down and bought some IS2 headrests. The angle feels better and the foam is more comfortable. However, the diameter of the post are a little bit smaller, so they wiggle/rattle when installed

in the seats. Any idea how to make them fit more snug?
Old 03-21-24, 03:10 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

You could try to wrap the post tightly with duck tape.
Old 03-21-24, 03:43 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by malignancy
So I broke down and bought some IS2 headrests. The angle feels better and the foam is more comfortable. However, the diameter of the post are a little bit smaller, so they wiggle/rattle when installed

in the seats. Any idea how to make them fit more snug?
It would help if you knew the difference in diameter of the posts.

Depending upon the difference, you may be able to find a heat shrink tubing that you can install on the posts and heat shrink it down for semi-permanent fix. (Halve the difference in post diameters and use that for a tubing thickness parameter in a heat shrink tubing search.)

There's also brush on and dip plastic coating solutions that might work. The difficulty with those is getting the thickness of the coating into the range of a snug fit that still fils into the seat back receptacles.

A different possibility is changing the current ES headrest guides to the headrest guides matching the IS2 headrests you bought. The question with this solution is will the matching IS2 headrest guides fit/install correctly into the seat back receptacles where the current ES headrest guides are installed. (Headrest guides are listed as separate parts in both ES and IS front seat components parts listings I looked at.)
Old 03-21-24, 06:03 PM
malignancy
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
It would help if you knew the difference in diameter of the posts.

Depending upon the difference, you may be able to find a heat shrink tubing that you can install on the posts and heat shrink it down for semi-permanent fix. (Halve the difference in post diameters and use that for a tubing thickness parameter in a heat shrink tubing search.)

There's also brush on and dip plastic coating solutions that might work. The difficulty with those is getting the thickness of the coating into the range of a snug fit that still fils into the seat back receptacles.

A different possibility is changing the current ES headrest guides to the headrest guides matching the IS2 headrests you bought. The question with this solution is will the matching IS2 headrest guides fit/install correctly into the seat back receptacles where the current ES headrest guides are installed. (Headrest guides are listed as separate parts in both ES and IS front seat components parts listings I looked at.)
Good suggestions. I was thinking a silicone tube or something might work, but where to find.

I like the Plastidip idea. My only concern is that it may run off and gum up the inside of the headrest latching mechanism.

I took the “leather” covers off to see if I could swap them out but the 2IS’s foam is molded sound the headrest hardware. I’d have to carve it all up to access the inside hardware. I wish there was a thin metal sleeve I could just life over them.
Old 03-21-24, 08:17 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Another thing you can try is order the headrest guide tubes for the is headrest and pull one of the ES guide tubes and see if they will interchange.
here's a video all cars are the same removal process..
malignancy (03-22-24)
Old 03-21-24, 10:02 PM
grp52
Instructor

Good suggestions. I was thinking a silicone tube or something might work, but where to find.
You can find it for sale many places on line.

For example, I just searched for electrical supply stores, picked one of the first ones, searched for heat shrink tubing in the store's front page seach field, and lucked out with a listing of different sized tubing with inside diameter before and after shrinking along with wall thickness after shrinking. Just the type of specs you need to find out if that item will work. That site was GRAINGER - search term "heat shrink tubing" and the results page has filtering on the diameters and wall thickness specs to narrow down the heat shrink tubing product listing to just what will match what you're looking for.
I like the Plastidip idea. My only concern is that it may run off and gum up the inside of the headrest latching mechanism.
Those brush on or dip plastic coatings only start out as liquid while you're applying the coating. Once applied, the coating cures to a solid plastic coating. The means of curing varies by the product; some cure by exposure to air; some by exposure to particular wavelengths of light, etc..
I took the “leather” covers off to see if I could swap them out but the 2IS’s foam is molded sound the headrest hardware. I’d have to carve it all up to access the inside hardware. I wish there was a thin metal sleeve I could just life over them.
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant about the "headrest guides". It wasn't the metal headrest post; it was what is called the headrest tube/sleeve shown being removed in the video jimbosr1 included in his post.

Lexus parts listing have
"headrest guide" as the part name.

I assume you have the Lexus part number for the IS headrest you purchased. On some on-line Lexus parts web sites you can look up that part number and on that part number's web page listing there will be a link to something like "Front Seat Assembly" parts. Follow that link to get a listing of most, if not all, parts of the front seat that make up the front seat including the headrest you purchased. Look through the list for "headrest guide" (there will probably be several to match the different seat colors) and that will be the "headrest guide"/"headrest tube/sleeve" that was designed to work with the headrest you purchased.

It is swapping out the existing ES headrest guides with that IS "headrest guide" matching your purchased IS headrest that jimbosr1 and I are suggesting as a possible solution. We don't don't know for sure you can interchange those guides but if they do interchange that would be the optimal solution.

I don't know which IS
"headrest guide" matches your purchased IS headrest so don't rely upon the following with further checking. I did some parts searching for 2022 IS350 fitting headrest guides. For those I found the "Vehicle Fitment" listing includes all the ES model types and years so the prospects of swapping the headrest guides looks promising.
Old 03-22-24, 04:59 AM
malignancy
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
You can find it for sale many places on line.

For example, I just searched for electrical supply stores, picked one of the first ones, searched for heat shrink tubing in the store's front page seach field, and lucked out with a listing of different sized tubing with inside diameter before and after shrinking along with wall thickness after shrinking. Just the type of specs you need to find out if that item will work. That site was GRAINGER - search term "heat shrink tubing" and the results page has filtering on the diameters and wall thickness specs to narrow down the heat shrink tubing product listing to just what will match what you're looking for.

Those brush on or dip plastic coatings only start out as liquid while you're applying the coating. Once applied, the coating cures to a solid plastic coating. The means of curing varies by the product; some cure by exposure to air; some by exposure to particular wavelengths of light, etc..

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant about the "headrest guides". It wasn't the metal headrest post; it was what is called the headrest tube/sleeve shown being removed in the video jimbosr1 included in his post.

Lexus parts listing have
"headrest guide" as the part name.

I assume you have the Lexus part number for the IS headrest you purchased. On some on-line Lexus parts web sites you can look up that part number and on that part number's web page listing there will be a link to something like "Front Seat Assembly" parts. Follow that link to get a listing of most, if not all, parts of the front seat that make up the front seat including the headrest you purchased. Look through the list for "headrest guide" (there will probably be several to match the different seat colors) and that will be the "headrest guide"/"headrest tube/sleeve" that was designed to work with the headrest you purchased.

It is swapping out the existing ES headrest guides with that IS "headrest guide" matching your purchased IS headrest that jimbosr1 and I are suggesting as a possible solution. We don't don't know for sure you can interchange those guides but if they do interchange that would be the optimal solution.

I don't know which IS
"headrest guide" matches your purchased IS headrest so don't rely upon the following with further checking. I did some parts searching for 2022 IS350 fitting headrest guides. For those I found the "Vehicle Fitment" listing includes all the ES model types and years so the prospects of swapping the headrest guides looks promising.
This is why I came here. Y’all are much smarter than me. 🙂

If it works, changing out the guides would be the best case scenario. I measure the posts last night. The 2IS is a 12 mm while the 3IS is 14.

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-24, 05:00 AM
malignancy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Another thing you can try is order the headrest guide tubes for the is headrest and pull one of the ES guide tubes and see if they will interchange.
here's a video all cars are the same removal process..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatDtLx56ww
Awesome, thank you!
Old 07-20-24, 01:51 PM
CurtB2001
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock headrest - Engineers are far from infallible.

The headrest in my 2000 ES300 is perfect. I nearly always drive with my head resting back on it but it is positioned (for me) in a manner that keeps my spine/neck in a natural position. Driving from the midwest to the west coast comfortable all the way.
Unfortunately, the headrest on my '22 RX450h pushes my head forward and makes me hunch forward just enough that my neck can't relax in a naturally supported position. The only option is to lean the seat further back but that's not comfortable for long drives either.

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think the issue is people want to be coddled and lean back during their commutes.

There are precise measurements in terms of contact time and tension/compression/force which greatly are dependent on the headrest and seatback angle combo. Any deviation in this due to modifications can significantly increase your risk of injury.

Picture your head being gently "caught" in head rest as soon as movement begins gradually loading up vs. your head slamming into the headrest that's farther away and rebounding off it. Lets set aside the neck for a bit... that's also your brain bouncing around too.

Keep these things stock, folks. Teams and teams of people with supercomputers designed it like that for a reason. Same with any stock seat of any car.
atbluebonnet (07-24-24)
Old 07-20-24, 02:48 PM
malignancy
Rookie

Totally agree, mate. 🤙🏼

Last edited by malignancy; 07-20-24 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-20-24, 02:51 PM
malignancy
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think the issue is people want to be coddled and lean back during their commutes.

There are precise measurements in terms of contact time and tension/compression/force which greatly are dependent on the headrest and seatback angle combo. Any deviation in this due to modifications can significantly increase your risk of injury.

Picture your head being gently "caught" in head rest as soon as movement begins gradually loading up vs. your head slamming into the headrest that's farther away and rebounding off it. Lets set aside the neck for a bit... that's also your brain bouncing around too.

Keep these things stock, folks. Teams and teams of people with supercomputers designed it like that for a reason. Same with any stock seat of any car.
Not everyone’s anatomy is exactly the same, though. My head was being push so far forward that it was uncomfortable to drive. I swamped out the headrests (and selves) from a 2IS. The angle is just a little less aggressive but has made all the difference. 🤙🏼
atbluebonnet (07-24-24)

Quick Reply: solutions for uncomfortable headrest angle?