Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Dammit, Doubledime! Why didn't you test this out before purchasing! lol
Old 07-03-23, 08:47 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
... Will that work with their jitterbug phone?
Depends upon the version of Jitterbug.

If it is an original Jitterbug flip phone, nothing works since Verizon shut down their 3G network.

If it is a Jitterbug Smart3, Android Auto just might work. That version is running a modified Android version 10. It also has support for downloading new apps from Google's Play Store so in theory one could download Android Auto if (most likely) it isn't installed. Since Jitterbug is owned by BestBuy, may the deities have mercy on the poor soul who needs support from BestBuy owned support services in their attempt to get Android Auto working on their Jitterbug.

The Jitterbug Smart3 is manufactured by TCL so no hope for better support from them. Also, since TCL isn't on Lexus's smart phone compatibility list for any 7th generation ES 300h you probably can cross off assistance from the Lexus technology support folks.

Might be a tad bit daunting for someone in Jitterbug's target user demographic but it still might be possible if there's someone with the necessary knowledge and skills available that can be corralled into providing assistance.

Old 07-03-23, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You know far, far too much about Jitterbug phones
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (07-17-23)
Old 07-03-23, 11:57 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Doubledime
We just purchased a new es300h and are totally shocked that you can not split the screen. Why in gods name would Lexus choose to make it difficult for customers to use the screen the way it was intended.

Horrible and I hope that this will be corrected soon. We have 3 days to take the car back and at this point if we can not figure this out we will be doing so

Thank you

This new UI have no option for split screen. Older system (pre 2023) have that option.
Old 07-04-23, 02:48 AM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Doubledime
We just purchased a new es300h and are totally shocked that you can not split the screen. Why in gods name would Lexus choose to make it difficult for customers to use the screen the way it was intended.

Horrible and I hope that this will be corrected soon. We have 3 days to take the car back and at this point if we can not figure this out we will be doing so

Thank you
What is a split screen to begin with? I have an es 350 and have liked the screen for what it is. I however do not like the fact that I have to hold the steering on well made roads to keep the auto pilot running.
Old 07-04-23, 06:47 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Ok apparently there are people here that don't know what is going on with the new interface. Lexus has done away with the split screen for reasons they say which makes no sense. Android auto and car play do but you can't put car radio or built in XM as one of the screens plus not everyone wants to use that. I am looking at an RX with 14 inch screen and it is absurd that Lexus has that big of a screen without split screen. All of there vehicles updated with new interface are going to be this way and not sure if even a software update would put back on. A lot of people are trading in there cars not knowing this and wouldn't unless they asked as it is not in the manual. Just like the split screen thread I started here the first post was a trade of from a 2019 and did not realize it till he drove away and said would never have traded knowing that. Who would think Lexus would be going backwards on such a popular feature.
The following 2 users liked this post by alextv:
bullnobull (07-05-23), Ltvscout (07-04-23)
Old 07-04-23, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by alextv
Ok apparently there are people here that don't know what is going on with the new interface. Lexus has done away with the split screen for reasons they say which makes no sense. Android auto and car play do but you can't put car radio or built in XM as one of the screens plus not everyone wants to use that. I am looking at an RX with 14 inch screen and it is absurd that Lexus has that big of a screen without split screen. All of there vehicles updated with new interface are going to be this way and not sure if even a software update would put back on. A lot of people are trading in there cars not knowing this and wouldn't unless they asked as it is not in the manual. Just like the split screen thread I started here the first post was a trade of from a 2019 and did not realize it till he drove away and said would never have traded knowing that. Who would think Lexus would be going backwards on such a popular feature.
I never used the split screen on any of the Lexus models I had with it, I’m sure their internal customer surveys showed them that this feature is actually not as utilized as you might believe.

Infotainment systems change, and you have to adapt. This is one small function of a car that you bought for other reasons. Just gotta adapt, and you will. The new infotainment is dramatically better than what Lexus used to have, split screen or not. They design things to try and meet the needs of as many people as they can and sometimes that means a function you like gets dropped. That’s life.

You have the choice between the OEM infotainment, CarPlay or Android Auto. You have three systems to choose from in one car. I think you’ll find something that works for you.

As for XM in CarPlay, for one ditch XM. The sound quality is terrible, get Apple Music or Tidal or Amazon Music or something like that. If you insist on XM, get streaming and control it right there on your CarPlay screen. I use it during Football season and that’s what I do. Better interface and better quality.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-04-23 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-04-23, 07:15 AM
alextv
Instructor

Lexus reasoning is that they want you to use the voice more but what does that have to do with you glancing over to the screen and being able to see navigation and radio at same time. Also in there manual it says if system doesn't work right or slow to reboot which in the NX forum a lot say they have to reboot. Hope the new system is better and does work but I surely would not upgrade my 2020 ES300h UL for 2023 or above. But looking at RXh at least I know the downsides without surprises. I will be using my T Box Plus on trips anyway as Lexus navigation is still not reliable even with the new system but my wife who this car is for will never use android or car play and be forced to look at a large only 1 source screen
Old 07-04-23, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by alextv
Lexus reasoning is that they want you to use the voice more but what does that have to do with you glancing over to the screen and being able to see navigation and radio at same time. Also in there manual it says if system doesn't work right or slow to reboot which in the NX forum a lot say they have to reboot. Hope the new system is better and does work but I surely would not upgrade my 2020 ES300h UL for 2023 or above. But looking at RXh at least I know the downsides without surprises. I will be using my T Box Plus on trips anyway as Lexus navigation is still not reliable even with the new system but my wife who this car is for will never use android or car play and be forced to look at a large only 1 source screen
Life must be really frustrating when you are so rigid.

“forced to look at one screen” the drama lol
Old 07-04-23, 08:05 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Life must be really frustrating when you are so rigid.

“forced to look at one screen” the drama lol
Life must be really empty when you have nothing better to do than to insult people on a message board.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
F3Woody (07-04-23), RobertJay (07-05-23)
Old 07-04-23, 08:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Life must be really empty when you have nothing better to do than to insult people on a message board.
Sorry, it’s absurd. You decide what you let bother you and what you let ruin your enjoyment of something. This is a minor interface choice that doesn’t operate the way they might prefer, every car I have ever owned has at least one interface choice that I really don’t like, if I let that one thing define my enjoyment of each car I would always be frustrated and never happy. For instance on my S560 there are no track forward or backwards buttons. It requires menus and screens set to display a certain thing to be able to at all easily skip a track. Is it silly? Yes. The car is still in the top two best cars I have ever owned.

There are solutions and workarounds but we immediately reject those without even trying them. It’s silly. One customer is not going to change the way Lexus designs something, so may as well find a workaround and choose to be happy with your car you’ve spent your hard earned money on.

Satisfaction is a choice

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-04-23 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-04-23, 08:55 AM
alextv
Instructor

Everybody has a choice and there decision only to make and opinions are exactly that only opinions.
Old 07-04-23, 09:17 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Sorry, it’s absurd. You decide what you let bother you and what you let ruin your enjoyment of something. This is a minor interface choice that doesn’t operate the way they might prefer, every car I have ever owned has at least one interface choice that I really don’t like, if I let that one thing define my enjoyment of each car I would always be frustrated and never happy. For instance on my S560 there are no track forward or backwards buttons. It requires menus and screens set to display a certain thing to be able to at all easily skip a track. Is it silly? Yes. The car is still in the top two best cars I have ever owned.

There are solutions and workarounds but we immediately reject those without even trying them. It’s silly. One customer is not going to change the way Lexus designs something, so may as well find a workaround and choose to be happy with your car you’ve spent your hard earned money on.
Your mastery of human nature is underwhelming.
Satisfaction is a choice
...that you don't get to make for someone else.
Old 07-04-23, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidZ
...that you don't get to make for someone else.
Everybody can choose not to be satisfied if they want, I will enjoy being flexible and the lack of frustration that brings with it. Like I said, life is very frustrating if you’re so rigid. You and others can choose to be frustrated if you like.

If you don’t agree with my advice that’s fine, I’m still going to offer it
Old 07-04-23, 09:34 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Did OP ever say he has a Jitterbug phone?

Quick Reply: Horrible horrible