ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Whistle from drivers side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23 | 11:30 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Default Whistle from drivers side mirror

Has anyone gotten a whistle from their drivers side rear view mirror? I get this annoying whistle, usually above 70mph. If I fold the mirrors, the whistle stops. I've taped the entire front and rear door, including all windows and creases, but the whistle persists (which is why I think it's the mirror). I've taped up nearly all of the mirror as well but if extended, the whistle still persists. Has anyone experienced this before? I've even taped up parts around the windshield but nothing.

I've been dealing with this whistling at highway speeds for a few months now. So far the only fix is to fold the mirrors at highway speeds or turn on the radio louder. If anyone has any ideas I'll all ears
Old 07-05-23 | 02:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

try posting clear photos of your mirror.
Old 07-06-23 | 09:02 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

A few notes - I had to replace a few parts on the mirror due to hitting a fence pole. Specifically the black top cover and the black housing around the mirror glass. This was about 20K miles ago. The whistle didn't start until maybe 5K miles ago. The two could be related but since the whistle didn't start right after the repair, I'm not certain if they're related. I did the repair myself (just ordered the parts from a Lexus OEM parts website) but they fit together very well. No noticeable gaps or issues.

Also, I sealed any seams or cracks with gasket caulking just in case any of those were the culprit with the whistling. It's not very noticeable but you can possibly make out a faint grey line on some seams. Unfortunately, this didn't eliminate the whistle. It was my last ditch effort. A little ghetto but when you're dealing with a chronic whistle at highway speeds, you get to the point where you'll do anything. I'll probably remove some of it because it didn't help, and because some of it is unsightly. Especially around the base where the mirror attaches to the door.

Old 07-06-23 | 09:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for posting those. definitely remove the sealant. As someone who's had those mirrors apart several times, I know there's possibility for them to go back together slightly incorrect. So just maybe triple check your work. sometimes the mirror will look correct, but in fact, there's a slight gap because a part did not slide/come together correctly. it's hard to tell from your photos but it looks mostly correct. You sure there wasn't a step you missed? It probably wouldn't hurt to carefully and methodically tear down everything and reassemble it. It could be that something was barely holding, but then popped loose in the last 5k miles. The mirror assembly is very picky about how it fits together. the first time i reassembled it i had it incorrectly installed for a few days-- didn't notice it until i was detailing the car. at first glance it looked fine. until i got closer. then i just tore it down and put it back together. check... everything.
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23 | 09:42 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

There was a previous thread quite a while back about this. You're definitely not the only one it's happened to. I think the dealer stopped the problem by reducing the gaps with tape, although I wouldn't swear to that part on a stack of bibles.
Old 07-06-23 | 10:00 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Well, I could give that a whirl. It wasn't that difficult. I'll give it a shot. At this point I'll do just about anything