ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

NuLux Upholstery Auestion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23 | 11:38 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Default NuLux Upholstery Auestion

Since I got my 2021 350 ES 2 years ago, little white dots have filled a scattering of the perforations in the passenger seat (

see photo). I’ve carefully pushed them back into where they belong with paper clip end. No harm done. No problem but why is this continually happening? Car used gently and carefully. 11,000 miles in 2.5 years. Anyone else talk to a dealership about this in their car?
Old 07-22-23 | 12:35 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Same here but I pull them out with the vacuum.
The following users liked this post:
BBQapple (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23 | 01:43 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaboom
... No problem but why is this continually happening? ...
You're dealing with ventilated seats which pull air through those holes in the seating surface. The amount will depend upon your climate control settings for the ventilated seats.

Air has suspended particles (even the best clean rooms' air), people are continuously shedding stuff, and many types of clothing collect and/or shed lint of various sizes - all of that particulate material drifts along with the air being sucked toward and through the ventilated seat's ventilation holes. Some of or a combination of particulate material doesn't make it through the ventilation holes and accumulates into the white looking dots you're seeing.

ESh' s solution of vacuuming them out is. in my opinion, the better means of disposing of the white matter in the seats' ventilation holes.
Old 07-22-23 | 01:56 PM
Shaboom
Racer

I get it. Understandable explanation. Tried car vac. White stuffings were too jammed to be suctioned out with a car vac, Better solution for mine were the careful paper clip maneuver. Popped all five of them back in. Feel better now that I understand. I knew cool air came out through the holes to cool us but I didn’t think air was sucked in through those little perforations as well.
Old 07-22-23 | 02:13 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

There is no way for these particles to come from underneath.
Old 07-22-23 | 02:24 PM
grp52
Instructor

... I knew cool air came out through the holes to cool us but I didn’t think air was sucked in through those little perforations as well.
Air is just sucked through the ventilation holes. There's a YouTube video demonstrating that by placing a sheet of paper on the seat and the seat ventilation pulls the sheet onto the seat surface. If air was being blown out of the holes that wouldn't happen.
Old 07-22-23 | 02:30 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by grp52
Air is just sucked through the ventilation holes. There's a YouTube video demonstrating that by placing a sheet of paper on the seat and the seat ventilation pulls the sheet onto the seat surface. If air was being blown out of the holes that wouldn't happen.
Are you sure? Because it sure feels like it’s blowing out to me.
Old 07-22-23 | 04:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Are you sure? Because it sure feels like it’s blowing out to me.
ABSOLUTELY. Test it with a napkin
Old 07-22-23 | 07:24 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Then how does the ventilation air cool the occupant’s body if it doesn’t come out of the holes and onto him? Also, if someone’s sitting on the perforations while the system is in operation, doesn’t that block the process just as the napkin does?
I’ll watch the You Tube video, too.
Old 07-22-23 | 07:29 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Then how does the ventilation air cool the occupant’s body if it doesn’t come out of the holes and onto him? Also, if someone’s sitting on the perforations while the system is in operation, doesn’t that block the process just as the napkin does?
Pulls the air through the perforations. It does "block" it a bit but it also pulls the heat away from your body and that's what cools you down.

I find them to be far more effective than the ones that were in my TLX, which I believed used a push system vs a pull system in the Lexus.
Old 07-22-23 | 11:14 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

No, it pushes the air out.
Old 07-23-23 | 07:01 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but here is an artificial intelligence response:The 2023 Lexus ES ventilated seats use a suction-style ventilation system. This means that air is pulled through the seat, rather than pushed out. The air is pulled through small vents in the seat bottom and backrest, and is then drawn out through larger vents in the seat cushion. This creates a flow of air that helps to cool the body and wick away moisture.

The suction-style ventilation system is more effective at cooling than a blower-style system because it does not require the air to be piped through the seat padding. This can help to prevent the seat from feeling too cool or drafty.
Old 07-23-23 | 07:30 AM
Shaboom
Racer

I wonder if this system works as well as the “air cooled” seats in the more expensive cars? I’m satisfied with it for what that’s worth. Presumably less costly, too.
Old 07-23-23 | 07:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
I can't vouch for the accuracy, but here is an artificial intelligence response:The 2023 Lexus ES ventilated seats use a suction-style ventilation system. This means that air is pulled through the seat, rather than pushed out. The air is pulled through small vents in the seat bottom and backrest, and is then drawn out through larger vents in the seat cushion. This creates a flow of air that helps to cool the body and wick away moisture.

The suction-style ventilation system is more effective at cooling than a blower-style system because it does not require the air to be piped through the seat padding. This can help to prevent the seat from feeling too cool or drafty.
Our 2017 RX same system. Air is pulled in and not blown out.
Old 07-23-23 | 07:56 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Just searched for napkin demo. Interesting. Audi in the demo I found. I assume that’s the one you’re referring to. The air was drawn in through the seat back in that demo. So is it then blown back out through the seat bottom or is the NuLux you’re sitting on simply cooled down?

Quick Reply: NuLux Upholstery Auestion