ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Mark Levinson speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 08:27 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Mark Levinson speaker upgrade

I had to remove my door panel for something unrelated to speakers but when I removed it, I took a look at the speakers and noticed that they were pretty weak looking cardboard style woofers. I removed one of the speakers and noticed it had a fairly large magnet, but not compared to any aftermarket speakers I've ever used. The wires to the speaker were also thicker than any stock system I've ever worked with but with with aa lame as the speakers looked, I wonder if aftermarket would improve anything.

Has anyone installed aftermarket speakers in their Mark Levinson ES? Any improvements over stock? Part of me wants to leave well enough alone, and I'm happy enough with the sound quality. But I plan on having this car for quite a while so if adding superior speakers would make a noticeable difference I'll probably go that route.

Old 07-23-23, 12:54 AM
BennoB66
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by losiglow
I had to remove my door panel for something unrelated to speakers but when I removed it, I took a look at the speakers and noticed that they were pretty weak looking cardboard style woofers. I removed one of the speakers and noticed it had a fairly large magnet, but not compared to any aftermarket speakers I've ever used. The wires to the speaker were also thicker than any stock system I've ever worked with but with with aa lame as the speakers looked, I wonder if aftermarket would improve anything.

Has anyone installed aftermarket speakers in their Mark Levinson ES? Any improvements over stock? Part of me wants to leave well enough alone, and I'm happy enough with the sound quality. But I plan on having this car for quite a while so if adding superior speakers would make a noticeable difference I'll probably go that route.
With the cost of the upgrade from the standard audio you would expect to see premium quality speakers being used. One thing I found with my previous Toyota which I had for 20 years is the speaker cones did not last all that long. It sounds like a swap of the speakers might improve things. Mind you I have a Bose system in my other car which is a buck regal and they sound worse.