ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Do you need to run AC for ventilated seats to work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 11:04 AM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Do you need to run AC for ventilated seats to work?

I could have sworn I used to run my ventilated seats in my F Sport without the AC on but now it seems it has to be on to work. Is this the case?
Old 07-25-23, 01:55 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack1986
I could have sworn I used to run my ventilated seats in my F Sport without the AC on but now it seems it has to be on to work. Is this the case?
TL;DR
- You do not need to activate your AC/Climate control to use your ventilated seats.
- The seat system adjusts temperature and airflow based on the climate control and outside temperature when set to "AUTO".
- Ventilation is achieved through suctioning air away from your body, not by blowing air outward. This creates an evaporation effect.
- The ventilation does not involve refrigerant A/C-based cooling.
- The seat system indicator for ventilating and heating changes as you adjust the temperature settings.

The short, uncomplicated answer is no; you do not have to activate your AC/Climate control - "ON" to enjoy your ventilated seats. Having your climate control activated for your ventilated or heated seats to function is not required. You can enjoy the natural breeze with all four windows down while still having your ventilated seat settings cranked up to high, even if your climate control is turned off.

Now, the overblown, complicated, long-winded contrarian answer supporting when certain circumstances would necessitate having your climate control temperature active, whether it be Arctic Freeze at the "LO" setting or the buns roasting toasty temp. set to "Hi" or anywhere in between.

The following explanation will clarify when your climate control temperature should be active and how your Lexus seats' heating and ventilating system operates. When the seat settings are set to "AUTO," the seat system will adjust the temperature and airflow of the seats accordingly based on the temperature you've set your climate control to and the temperature outside your vehicle. By placing your seat control to "AUTO," the ventilation and heating of your seats will be dictated by the climate control temperature setting and the ambient temperature outside your Lexus. The ventilation fan speed will automatically adjust based on the temperature setting. To activate the heated portion of the seat settings, the climate control temperature must trigger the heated seat function when in "AUTO" mode. Merely increase the internal temp. in the car, and the seat comfort will adjust accordingly.
Additionally, the seats ventilate by drawing air away from your body, not by blowing or pushing air outward from the seats. You can test this by placing a piece of paper on the seat, then cranking up the seat ventilation setting to "Hi," and feeling the resistance as your seat tries to play tug of war with the paper. When placed high enough on the lumbar section, the seat should be strong enough to hold the paper suspended in the air. Please note that the ventilation function utilizes the suctioning method and does not involve refrigerant A/C-based cooling.
Also, with the seat controls set to "AUTO," as you adjust your temperature settings either higher or lower, you can see the seat system indicator for ventilating and heating change as you toggle up and down the temperature range.
I thought this was quite cool!!: (pardon my pun) 😄

Clear enough? HA!

Lexus Seats "Unmasked" and explained!
FYI- the way the guy explains the ventilation function sounds as though he is saying the air blows outward vs. suctioning inward. Of course, this is an older video of an older model Lexus seat, and maybe before my time with Lexus, outward blowing was the way. Still, current model ESs utilize the suctioning method of ventilating the seats. There is technically no refrigerant A/C-based cooling for the ventilation portion of the seats. Sorry for any confusion this may cause, but the rest is cool. Maybe it's just me.😯

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-28-23 at 02:39 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
Denzlex (07-26-23), F3Woody (07-26-23), GS350Miami (07-26-23), Jack1986 (07-26-23), KMiles (07-25-23), losiglow (07-26-23), Mugger52 (07-26-23), RobertJay (07-26-23), SpaghettiA (07-27-23) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-23, 08:30 AM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
TL;DR
- You do not need to activate your AC/Climate control to use your ventilated seats.
- The seat system adjusts temperature and airflow based on the climate control and outside temperature when set to "AUTO".
- Ventilation is achieved through suctioning air away from your body, not by blowing air outward.
- The ventilation does not involve refrigerant A/C-based cooling.
- The seat system indicator for ventilating and heating changes as you adjust the temperature settings.

The short, uncomplicated answer is no; you do not have to activate your AC/Climate control - "ON" to enjoy your ventilated seats. Having your climate control activated for your ventilated or heated seats to function is not required. You can enjoy the natural breeze with all four windows down while still having your ventilated seat settings cranked up to high, even if your climate control is turned off.

Now, the overblown, complicated, long-winded contrarian answer supporting when certain circumstances would necessitate having your climate control temperature active, whether it be Arctive Freeze at the "LO" setting or the buns roasting toasty temp. set to "Hi" or anywhere in between.

The following explanation will clarify when your climate control temperature should be active and how your Lexus seats' heating and ventilating system operates. When the seat settings are set to "AUTO," the seat system will adjust the temperature and airflow of the seats accordingly based on the temperature you've set your climate control to and the temperature outside your vehicle. By placing your seat control to "AUTO," the ventilation and heating of your seats will be dictated by the climate control temperature setting and the ambient temperature outside your Lexus. The ventilation fan speed will automatically adjust based on the temperature setting. To activate the heated portion of the seat settings, the climate control temperature must trigger the heated seat function when in "AUTO" mode. Merely increase the internal temp. in the car, and the seat comfort will adjust accordingly.
Additionally, the seats ventilate by drawing air away from your body, not by blowing or pushing air outward from the seats. You can test this by placing a piece of paper on the seat, then cranking up the seat ventilation setting to "Hi," and feeling the resistance as your seat tries to play tug of war with the paper. When placed high enough on the lumbar section, the seat should be strong enough to hold the paper suspended in the air. Please note that the ventilation function utilizes the suctioning method and does not involve refrigerant A/C-based cooling.
Also, with the seat controls set to "AUTO," as you adjust your temperature settings either higher or lower, you can see the seat system indicator for ventilating and heating change as you toggle up and down the temperature range.
I thought this was quite cool!!: (pardon my pun) 😄

Clear enough? HA!

Lexus Seats "Unmasked" and explained!
FYI- the way the guy explains the ventilation function sounds as though he is saying the air blows outward vs. suctioning inward. Of course, this is an older video of an older model Lexus seat, and maybe before my time with Lexus, outward blowing was the way. Still, current model ESs utilize the suctioning method of ventilating the seats. There is technically no refrigerant A/C-based cooling for the ventilation portion of the seats. Sorry for any confusion this may cause, but the rest is cool. Maybe it's just me.😯

https://youtu.be/qvWjuUFVI_M
Thanks bro for the detailed response and video! If I could like your post 3 times I would. I’m gonna try that paper test later today. I thought the seats blew air outward. I learned something new about my car today. It just seems that when I have the AC off the ventilation doesn’t work. Or maybe that’s because I’ve driven with them set to auto for so long that I’ve gotten used to them being on.
Old 07-26-23, 09:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Thanks bro for the detailed response and video! If I could like your post 3 times I would. I’m gonna try that paper test later today. I thought the seats blew air outward. I learned something new about my car today. It just seems that when I have the AC off the ventilation doesn’t work. Or maybe that’s because I’ve driven with them set to auto for so long that I’ve gotten used to them being on.
They may turn off in AUTO mode depending on cabin temp - does your 2022 show the three lights indicating the level they're blowing at?
Old 07-26-23, 09:54 AM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So, If I fart the smell will be sucked away. correct? Great!. where to?
Not to sound like a wise-***. Sounds funny, but I'm serious
In a car with 4 people, its always who ?
sorry, wrong quote

Last edited by bullnobull; 07-26-23 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 10:01 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bullnobull
So, If I fart the smell will be sucked away. correct? Great!. where to?
Not to sound like a wise-***. Sounds funny, but I'm serious
In a car with 4 people, its always who ?
The seats have filters - make sure you change them every 10K miles or perhaps more frequently in your case?
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bullnobull (07-26-23), dklanecky1 (07-26-23), MAMOSKO (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 12:45 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
They may turn off in AUTO mode depending on cabin temp - does your 2022 show the three lights indicating the level they're blowing at?
I wondered that. Yeah, it shows 3 lights.
Old 07-26-23, 12:47 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

@UltraLux22 I did the paper test today with the AC off and I was glad to see the ventilation is still working. It was all in my head. Thanks 😊
Old 07-26-23, 12:55 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

@UltraLux22 I did the paper test today with the AC off and I was glad to see the ventilation is still working. It was all in my head. Thanks 😊
That's great! If unsure, switch off the "AUTO" mode until you see three illuminated indicator lights on the ventilation system. This will ensure that you have full power. I overheat easily, so I never use the AUTO functions or concierge. I usually keep the interior like an ice box with full-blast AC and seat vents on full-blast or full suction, depending on how you describe it! 🥶
The following users liked this post:
Jack1986 (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 04:46 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
That's great! If unsure, switch off the "AUTO" mode until you see three illuminated indicator lights on the ventilation system. This will ensure that you have full power. I overheat easily, so I never use the AUTO functions or concierge. I usually keep the interior like an ice box with full-blast AC and seat vents on full-blast or full suction, depending on how you describe it! 🥶
I’m gonna keep it off auto from now on. I didn’t know auto lessens the power output of the fans.
Old 07-27-23, 06:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I wondered that. Yeah, it shows 3 lights.
Generally once seats are in AUTO, you'll drop down to one light once cabin is cooled down.