ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 03:38 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
If they weren’t so ugly outside and so crappy inside I’d have loved to get a 3 or a Y. Tried to buy one for my wife after I bought a 7ESh for myself but she said no way so got her an IS350 FS.

The model S at now about eighty thousand is enticing however..
I've owned two S's. Before you even test drive one be sure to browse the owners forum for what sorts of issues to expect https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-s.73/

I would not recommend the S unless you live really close to a service centre and have a second car. The Y is hideous and not a very good car overall (fun, great tech though), the 3 is OK, and definitely never ever buy an X, they are just so riddled with issues, even new 2023 ones.
Old 08-24-23, 03:41 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I'm aware that this thread is about changing tranny fluid but feel obligated to state a few comments regarding Tesla. It seems that each time there is a news article about them they're A. catching on fire. B. Killing someone. C. Costing someone a fortune for parts. D. shoddy build and finish complaints. And how would you feel if you paid more than the cars are selling for now that they have been reduced to move?
And, BTW, none of the above apply to Lexus...
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (08-24-23)
Old 08-24-23, 04:33 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

This kind of discussion tells me not to open this forum.
Old 08-25-23, 02:16 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
This kind of discussion tells me not to open this forum.
I don't really mind the fact that E46CT always bring out Tesla references to all threads LOL, I mean he has provided ton and ton of good info and tutorials here for the forums.
Just that it irritate a lot of people here sometimes. Unless it goes too far, we can't stop any body giving out their opinion. Maybe we just focus on the main discussion.

By the way, to OP, if you doing it soon can you provide a detailed write-up for us. I mean it sounds complicated on paper but hell, just drain out and fill in the same amount + a little more. What could go wrong , we not "flushing', just drain and fill right?

I have changed my oil, rotated tire (not anymore for those 2, I let Lexus do it so that the service showing up on Carfax and Lexus history for re-selling value purposes ), , change braked rotors and pads, I think I can do this . Maybe spark plugs next at ~80K miles
Old 08-25-23, 02:23 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
I've owned two S's. Before you even test drive one be sure to browse the owners forum for what sorts of issues to expect https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-s.73/
Well a half hour reading that forum was enough to get that idea out my my head! If I was willing to risk that kind of experience might as well get a Panamera or Taycan instead and at least have a car that’s super nice inside.
Old 08-25-23, 06:20 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan

I would not recommend the S unless you live really close to a service centre and have a second car. The Y is hideous and not a very good car overall (fun, great tech though), the 3 is OK, and definitely never ever buy an X, they are just so riddled with issues, even new 2023 ones.
Consumer Reports list every year the ten dogs least reliable vehicles never to buy. Model Y is on the current list and the X and S has been on previous years. Overall 19 out of 24 in reliability.

Last edited by Freds430; 08-25-23 at 06:28 PM.
LS500Fan (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 09:08 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by WeekendMechanic
Hey all, earlier in the year I picked up a 2019 Lexus ES 350 with around 60k to replace my wife's aging Pontiac. This was not our first ES as I have had a 2010 ES 350 since 2015 and it has been a phenomenal car. I have done all my own maintenance and repairs on my 2010 in the past but with this new car having a warranty I figured I would have the dealership service it so they could find potential issues that are covered by the warranty. Since the car has around 60k I told them to flush the transmission fluid but after hearing what they charge ($500) there was no way in hell I was going to let them change it when I could do it for a quarter of the price.

Is the process for changing the fluid more or less the same from the earlier models? Can I use Toyota WS ATF like I have in the past? I haven't had much luck finding a write up or instructional video with the 7th Gen ES so I figured not much has changed from the previous models. Either way here is the process I have used in the past to change my fluid:
  1. Take out transmission drain plug
  2. Take out the fill level straw
  3. Let fluid drain as much as it can, measure amount of fluid that was drained
  4. Put fill level straw back in hand tight
  5. Snug Drain plug, not torqued
  6. Fill transmission with the same amount you took out + half a quart extra
  7. Start car and cycle through the gears
  8. Let transmission fluid warm up until it gets to 104°F - 112°F
  9. Once the fluid hits the right temperature pull the drain plug and let the extra fluid run out
  10. Once fluid starts dribbling and not streaming put the plug back on and torque it to spec
If these newer generation cars have a different procedure or temperature I would love to hear about it but this is how I was more or less expecting the process to go
Sounds right on the money to me. I’ve done many drain and fills on my 2014.5 Camry with the U760E tranny. After my dealership messed up doing a fluid exchange, first by overfilling, and when correcting- leaving it under filled (both causing issues), I learned how to do it myself. Bought a Scanguage2 to eliminate the guesswork on the temp. I know the previous generation tranny mated to the V6 (U660E) required a temperature range of 104-113. I would imagine the new tranny (UA80E) is the same. I haven’t researched it yet though, and don’t know for sure if the process is the same for this new tranny, because I won’t need to do my first drain and fill for another 20,000 miles. I’d be willing to bet it is, though. Now that I’ve done it so many times, I put just a few ounces over what it will take for the proper level. The more excess you put in, the longer it takes to get that dribble, all while the temp keeps increasing. I want the dribble at the lower versus higher temp, which to me means I’ll be at the higher end of the correct level versus the lower.
Old 08-25-23, 09:45 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by july1988
Which dealer is that so we can stay away from . Every time I asked them to change my tran. fluid they all refused to do LOL
Your steps sound right to me, these 2 videos I found (you may watched them already) maybe helpful for you:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxSu4-4ojo
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAuGmDGntY
I think many dealerships won’t do it because they have little faith their techs can/will do it right.
bc6152 (08-26-23)
Old 08-26-23, 08:54 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
I don't really mind the fact that E46CT always bring out Tesla references to all threads LOL,
I think it's funny that when he owned an ES, it was the perfect car. And now that he owns a Tesla, that's the perfect car. And regardless of which car he owns, he can't resist tooting his own horn.
LS500Fan (08-26-23)
Old 08-29-23, 12:21 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a Toyota dealership to do it, this is a well documented approach and will cost half as much. They really won't do a flush, but rather a drain and fill. Unfortunately, you need to do that 3 times on a regular automatic tranny to get all the fluid out. On the eCVT I have seen just a single drain and fill.
Old 08-29-23, 02:23 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jsmith
Get a Toyota dealership to do it, this is a well documented approach and will cost half as much. They really won't do a flush, but rather a drain and fill. Unfortunately, you need to do that 3 times on a regular automatic tranny to get all the fluid out. On the eCVT I have seen just a single drain and fill.
They call them “fluid exchanges,” instead of flushes. The Toyota dealerships in my area do them.
Old 08-29-23, 06:57 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

There are machines that suck out the tranny fluid and are therefore legitimately doing a fluid exchange. I would go for something like that as I've had good experience with that service on a higher mileage vehicle.
Old 09-03-23, 10:51 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I like this 8 speed tutorial. It's a Camry, but shares the same tranny as the 2019 on up ES350. There is no accessible filter to change and no transmission oil pan. The fluid level checking temp starts at 95 degrees rather than 104 as on the previous 6 speed.

Last edited by gemigniani; 09-23-23 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-04-23, 01:20 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

These transmission without the strainer will fail prematurely if the fluid is not changed often.
Old 09-04-23, 08:49 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Lexus declines to change tranny fluids, saying it's permanent. I asked them to change the fluid on my IS when it hit 30k and was starting to get noisier. They said it would be at my cost. I traded it in soon after...

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Fluid Change