ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 09:00 AM
WeekendMechanic
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Hey all, earlier in the year I picked up a 2019 Lexus ES 350 with around 60k to replace my wife's aging Pontiac. This was not our first ES as I have had a 2010 ES 350 since 2015 and it has been a phenomenal car. I have done all my own maintenance and repairs on my 2010 in the past but with this new car having a warranty I figured I would have the dealership service it so they could find potential issues that are covered by the warranty. Since the car has around 60k I told them to flush the transmission fluid but after hearing what they charge ($500) there was no way in hell I was going to let them change it when I could do it for a quarter of the price.

Is the process for changing the fluid more or less the same from the earlier models? Can I use Toyota WS ATF like I have in the past? I haven't had much luck finding a write up or instructional video with the 7th Gen ES so I figured not much has changed from the previous models. Either way here is the process I have used in the past to change my fluid:
  1. Take out transmission drain plug
  2. Take out the fill level straw
  3. Let fluid drain as much as it can, measure amount of fluid that was drained
  4. Put fill level straw back in hand tight
  5. Snug Drain plug, not torqued
  6. Fill transmission with the same amount you took out + half a quart extra
  7. Start car and cycle through the gears
  8. Let transmission fluid warm up until it gets to 104°F - 112°F
  9. Once the fluid hits the right temperature pull the drain plug and let the extra fluid run out
  10. Once fluid starts dribbling and not streaming put the plug back on and torque it to spec
If these newer generation cars have a different procedure or temperature I would love to hear about it but this is how I was more or less expecting the process to go

Last edited by WeekendMechanic; 08-24-23 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (08-25-23)
Old 08-24-23, 09:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

That sounds complicated.

I've only done one A/T fluid and filter change on a BMW E39. Was not fun. My arm was burning after undoing all the pan bolts and putting them back in... on my back. Most of my cars have been manual.

Ugh... good thing I never have to touch a fluid again. Just drive
Old 08-24-23, 09:53 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Which dealer is that so we can stay away from . Every time I asked them to change my tran. fluid they all refused to do LOL
Your steps sound right to me, these 2 videos I found (you may watched them already) maybe helpful for you:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxSu4-4ojo
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAuGmDGntY
Old 08-24-23, 10:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
That sounds complicated.

I've only done one A/T fluid and filter change on a BMW E39. Was not fun. My arm was burning after undoing all the pan bolts and putting them back in... on my back. Most of my cars have been manual.

You have your responses armed and ready to go Mr EV Doesn't your Tesla have windshield washer fluid?
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (08-24-23)
Old 08-24-23, 11:31 AM
WeekendMechanic
4th Gear

Originally Posted by july1988
Which dealer is that so we can stay away from . Every time I asked them to change my tran. fluid they all refused to do LOL
Your steps sound right to me, these 2 videos I found (you may watched them already) maybe helpful for you:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxSu4-4ojo
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAuGmDGntY
My local dealer is Willis Lexus in central Iowa. They really excelled during the buying experience and overall customer experience but their service prices are just astronomical. Any time I have ever needed parts or service I have always felt I was getting screwed lol. Thanks for sharing the videos, I am a big Care Care Nut fan and have referenced these videos in the past. From what it looks like the process hasn't changed for this model.
Old 08-24-23, 11:37 AM
WeekendMechanic
4th Gear

That sounds complicated.

It's not too bad if you are just changing your fluid, the worst part is lying on your back if you don't have a lift. Last week I did the filter and fluid change on my 2010 and it's a lot more time consuming when you have to drop the pan and clean everything so it seals well. I got my annual ATF bath so I'm looking forward to not having to do that for a least a couple years lol
Old 08-24-23, 12:54 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

good thing I never have to touch a fluid again. Just drive
Your beloved Tesla economy car has battery coolant similar to antifreeze as well as brake fluid. Also air conditioning refrigerant. Not to mention a thirty thousand dollar battery that won’t last as long as the engine and transmission in a Lexus, a battery that was made with the benefit of child slave labor using toxic materials.

And let’s not forget that even if you wanted to DIY change your battery coolant to prolong the life of the battery and pump, Tesla says your $30k battery warranty is void if you touch the coolant system. Which I know you’d like to do because you’ve already admitted you chose to replace the “lifetime” transmission fluid in your old BMW so I know it kills you to leave the battery coolant in there forever.

Last edited by BBQapple; 08-24-23 at 01:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBQapple:
LexFinally (08-24-23), robfrmsd (08-25-23)
Old 08-24-23, 01:05 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Good Drain and Fill procedure. I believe the dealer would have done a Flush and Fill, but I agree, $500 is crazy. I had my 2007 GS350 flushed at my SC dealer in 2017 for $220. Many dealers will not do a flush because they claim the transmission fluid is a "lifetime fluid"...never needs replacing, plus the GS's don't list a maintenance schedule for transmission fluid.

Coming from the GS side but looking at buying an ES in the future, is there a maintenance schedule requirement (for warranty) for tranny fluid replacement on the 7th Gen ES?

Good job. You should be good to go for many years.
Old 08-24-23, 01:25 PM
WeekendMechanic
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Good Drain and Fill procedure. I believe the dealer would have done a Flush and Fill, but I agree, $500 is crazy. I had my 2007 GS350 flushed at my SC dealer in 2017 for $220. Many dealers will not do a flush because they claim the transmission fluid is a "lifetime fluid"...never needs replacing, plus the GS's don't list a maintenance schedule for transmission fluid.

Coming from the GS side but looking at buying an ES in the future, is there a maintenance schedule requirement (for warranty) for tranny fluid replacement on the 7th Gen ES?

Good job. You should be good to go for many years.
According to the videos that were linked in this post the Car Car Nut recommends 60k miles or 6 years. I'm probably just going to do it every 50k though and replace the transmission filter every 100k
Old 08-24-23, 01:26 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Many dealers will not do a flush because they claim the transmission fluid is a "lifetime fluid"...never needs replacing, plus the GS's don't list a maintenance schedule for transmission fluid.
The risk is if you wait too long there will be sludge and buildup that can be dislodged during a fluid change and the solid matter can clog small passages and valves ruining the transmission.
Old 08-24-23, 01:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You have your responses armed and ready to go Mr EV Doesn't your Tesla have windshield washer fluid?
even on ICE cars, i never touched the windshield washer fluid. i have fully treated windshields which helps them repel most things.

and you are right Mr Ev is ready to cruise 200,000 + miles without lifting a finger as many are posting on the EV tesla forums as the Tesla model 3 now reaches 3-5 years old =) all original everything with zero touching required 200k plus. not bad! all of the people i know personally with tesla 3s and some Ys are at 60-90k with zero touching. they all say they couldn't be happier. so crossing my fingers!

at most i will rotate my tires, but at that point, that's just to delay the hit from the pocket book from my 20 inch wheels and tires cost
Old 08-24-23, 01:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

tesla battery and drive unit warranty 8 full years 120k miles =)
Old 08-24-23, 01:47 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by WeekendMechanic
It's not too bad if you are just changing your fluid, the worst part is lying on your back if you don't have a lift. Last week I did the filter and fluid change on my 2010 and it's a lot more time consuming when you have to drop the pan and clean everything so it seals well. I got my annual ATF bath so I'm looking forward to not having to do that for a least a couple years lol
So are you using 4 jack stands?

I see people and pros using this type of quick/portable jack/lift, looks like it lifts the car taller than jack stands, and the setup/storage probably is a breeze compare to 4 jack stands and floor jacks.

Not sure about the reliability and safety though, other than putting a real lift, this maybe the next best option for DYIer in home garage?

Old 08-24-23, 03:14 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Mr Ev is ready to cruise 200,000 + miles without lifting a finger as many are posting on the EV tesla forums as the Tesla model 3 now reaches 3-5 years old =) all original everything with zero touching required 200k plus. not bad! all of the people i know personally with tesla 3s and some Ys are at 60-90k with zero touching. they all say they couldn't be happier. so crossing my fingers!
If they weren’t so ugly outside and so crappy inside I’d have loved to get a 3 or a Y. Tried to buy one for my wife after I bought a 7ESh for myself but she said no way so got her an IS350 FS.

The model S at now about eighty thousand is enticing however..
Old 08-24-23, 03:29 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

You do realize you still have brake fluid, coolant, and drive unit fluids (ATF I think), right? One of the axle seals leaked on my Model S and had to be replaced, I think it had 50K miles on it or a little less when it started leaking.

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Fluid Change