ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Parking your ES? Don't do this.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 08:13 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by cbus
The economic incentive would be small claims court, no?

EDIT: does commercial building code in your area mandate anything in particular about parking barriers? There might be a clause in there somewhere about this exact condition. IMO if so, it's easily open and shut to prove the business isn't compliant and that it resulted in damage to your vehicle.
Those are both good suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-25-23, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
This is one of these events where the insurer, Erie, wiggles out of their responsibility. In my opinion the parking lot is responsible for your car being damaged. No way, no how that this spike should have been protruding out of the concrete barrier. I thought the bottom portion of the trim could be replaced separately but apparently not. This is the kind of incident that pisses you off for making the mistake. GOOD LUCK!
out of all the responses, this is the more correct one. i know how this stuff works.

OP probably had some low level grunt making this decision but if he pushed it and knew how to push it, he can get things to go his way.

put it this way... they'll cut that spike off after this incident.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 09:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

double put it this way... if someone tripped and hit their head on that spike or even tripped over it... things would be very different. it should make no difference for a car.
bc6152 (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 01:48 PM
LexFinally
Racer

CT, when you're right, you're right. Guess what they did the very next day? Yep, pounded the spike down.

The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
AndrewLWSN (09-06-23), lccgl479 (11-04-23)
Old 08-26-23, 08:49 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Shouldn't the backup warning system (whatever they call it) have gone off and alerted you?
lccgl479 (11-04-23)
Old 08-26-23, 09:50 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Shouldn't the backup warning system (whatever they call it) have gone off and alerted you?
Legitimate question, but the answer was No. It didn't detect an object that small. It was merely semi-warning me about the wall behind the space, which was still a couple feet away. I've learned the visual detection and the beeping both have two levels of urgency, and it was still just at Level One.
Old 08-26-23, 10:38 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Legitimate question, but the answer was No. It didn't detect an object that small. It was merely semi-warning me about the wall behind the space, which was still a couple feet away. I've learned the visual detection and the beeping both have two levels of urgency, and it was still just at Level One.
OK, so the warning didn't go off. But should it have gone off?
Old 08-26-23, 11:19 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Ask the dealer to change the obstacle detection angle from narrow to wide.
Old 08-26-23, 12:17 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

...The purpose of a concrete parking block is to let you pull up to it until your tire bumps against the concrete, telling you to go no farther. ...
Ummm... No, it isn't. While there's quite a few variations of purpose descriptions for concrete parking stops they all boil down to preventing drivers from damaging other things or driving into prohibited areas.
Old 08-26-23, 12:31 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

That spike seems like such a small target to detect and I frequently back up over those concrete blocks and never get a warning on my '23 hybrid.

Last edited by Myshkyn; 08-26-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 12:31 PM
grp52
Instructor

Visual detection isn't used for static object detection. Visual (rear camera) detection is used for pedestrian detection. Instead, the ultrasonic sensors are used for static object detection.
Old 08-26-23, 12:41 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
I frequently back up over those concrete blocks and never get a warning on my '23 hybrid.
Originally Posted by grp52
Visual detection isn't used for static object detection. Visual (rear camera) detection is used for pedestrian detection. Instead, the ultrasonic sensors are used for static object detection.
OK, but is it smart enough to ignore a concrete parking bock that's low enough to go under the car, but alert the driver when there's a spike sticking up that's tall enough to damage the car?
Old 08-26-23, 01:12 PM
grp52
Instructor

The Owner's Manual has several range/detection zone diagrams as well as written text indicating low objects and objects under the bumpers aren't detected.

WARNING
■ When using the intuitive parking assist
● The area directly under the bumpers is not detected.
■ Objects which may not be properly detected
● Low objects
As to whether the system should have detected and issued a warning on the concrete parking block with protruding short length of rod you're dealing with a systems engineering trade off between false positive and false negative detection rates. Ideally the system should warn you only about real hazards and never about things that aren't hazardous. But, as of yet, that isn't achievable in the real world with present day sensor technology. If you crank up the sensor system's sensitivity to the level of detecting and warning about all real hazards you're also going to crank up the false warnings about phantom hazards. (There has been several complaints/discussions about the parking support brake slamming on while reversing due to system falsely detecting some phantom hazard.)

Last edited by grp52; 08-26-23 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
ATL350 (08-28-23), LexFinally (08-28-23)
Old 08-26-23, 02:09 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by grp52
The Owner's Manual has several range/detection zone diagrams as well as written text indicating low objects and objects under the bumpers aren't detected.

As to whether the system should have detected and issued a warning on the concrete parking block with protruding short length of rod you're dealing with a systems engineering trade off between false positive and false negative detection rates. Ideally the system should warn you only about real hazards and never about things that aren't hazardous. But, as of yet, that isn't achievable in the real world with present day sensor technology. If you crank up the sensor system's sensitivity to the level of detecting and warning about all real hazards you're also going to crank up the false warnings about phantom hazards. (There has been several complaints/discussions about the parking support brake slamming on while reversing due to system falsely detecting some phantom hazard.)
Thanks for the citations. I don't see anything in the manual that says that the warning shouldn't have gone off. In fact, it explicitly says that the warning won't go off if the object fits under the bumper. That seems to imply that it should have gone off for an object that doesn't fit under the bumper.
Old 08-28-23, 05:37 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

CT, when you're right, you're right. Guess what they did the very next day? Yep, pounded the spike down.
Everyone here debating the sensor when this is the real news. The fact that they did this is seems like a passive admittance of liability, and a bit of leverage in your pursuit of compensation.
The following 4 users liked this post by F3Woody:
ATL350 (08-28-23), bc6152 (08-28-23), dklanecky1 (11-04-23), GS350Miami (08-31-23)

Quick Reply: Parking your ES? Don't do this.