ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Parking your ES? Don't do this.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 06:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I didn't think that the sensor would "see" the spike and apparently that is correct. However I agree with Woody that the pounding of the spike is tacit admission that it was where it could cause damage - which it did...
I stand by my previous post that the insurance company, Erie, is shirking their responsibility by refusing to cover this event. Good to know these things for when I look to change my auto insurance I'll skip Erie...
Old 08-28-23, 12:32 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

As background information, I measured the ground clearance under the bottom back corner of the ES and under a few other Toyota sedans. This is what my tape measure told me:
Corolla 10"
Camry 9"
ES 8-1/2"
Prius 7-1/2"

I'm not sure whether the half-inch would have spared the Camry from my bumper's fate. But one can only imagine what the Prius would have looked like after a trip through the food processor.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (08-31-23)
Old 08-30-23, 08:07 PM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you considered replacing the bumper yourself? There are places like https://paintedautoparts.com/ where they will send you a paint-matched replacement bumper for less than $600. This would probably be around the same as your insurance deductible and would allow you to avoid having a repair reported on your vehicle's history.
Jack1986 (08-30-23)
Old 08-31-23, 06:51 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by veeinc
Have you considered replacing the bumper yourself? There are places like https://paintedautoparts.com/ where they will send you a paint-matched replacement bumper for less than $600. This would probably be around the same as your insurance deductible and would allow you to avoid having a repair reported on your vehicle's history.
Thank you. That's a smart suggestion that would make sense in a lot of situations.

Unfortunately, several factors work against it in my particular case. I live in an apartment, so there's not a ton of space to work. I have some physical problems that would make that difficult. And my insurance has a provision that they won't raise my rate as punishment for making the claim. As a result, it's being fixed as you read this.
mikemu30 (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 06:59 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by veeinc
Ive done this myself on a previous car it was super easy and the paint was a good match. Cost was even a little less than my deductible and it took under an hour. Huge fan now.
Old 09-05-23, 07:07 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Epilogue: The repair is complete.

Got it done at the body shop recommended by my insurance company, interestingly the collision center of a nearby Toyota dealer. Extremely courteous and efficient. Fast, just over two days. And the work was very good. The new rear bumper is just slightly longer than the original, causing the same kind of minor rear wheelwell misalignment that's led to so much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum, but I can't notice it unless I'm looking for it. The alignment of parts was otherwise excellent. There is virtually no orange peel, which is one of my pet peeves. The only aspect that gave me even a moment's pause is the color match. Matador Red Mica is a very difficult color to match. They did a nearly perfect job, but it might be a smidge darker when viewed in certain sunlight at a certain angle. Sigh. I think it meets any reasonable expectation.

The cost was my collision deductible (my coverage prevents rate increases). In truth, I know I will not pursue the perps to the ends of the earth for the money. My one recourse, as noted by an alert poster, is small claims court. But there are other factors I won't detail here that make that an unappetizing proposition, including some health considerations. At the bottom line, in an era when 1 in 3 Americans can't swing a $400 expense, I count myself lucky that I have the luxury to view this as an annoyance rather than a rent-level existential crisis. It's fixed, and I'll move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexFinally:
mikemu30 (09-05-23), Stoodo (09-06-23), UltraLux22 (11-14-23)
Old 09-05-23, 08:48 AM
cbus
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Epilogue: The repair is complete.

Got it done at the body shop recommended by my insurance company, interestingly the collision center of a nearby Toyota dealer. Extremely courteous and efficient. Fast, just over two days. And the work was very good. The new rear bumper is just slightly longer than the original, causing the same kind of minor rear wheelwell misalignment that's led to so much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum, but I can't notice it unless I'm looking for it. The alignment of parts was otherwise excellent. There is virtually no orange peel, which is one of my pet peeves. The only aspect that gave me even a moment's pause is the color match. Matador Red Mica is a very difficult color to match. They did a nearly perfect job, but it might be a smidge darker when viewed in certain sunlight at a certain angle. Sigh. I think it meets any reasonable expectation.

The cost was my collision deductible (my coverage prevents rate increases). In truth, I know I will not pursue the perps to the ends of the earth for the money. My one recourse, as noted by an alert poster, is small claims court. But there are other factors I won't detail here that make that an unappetizing proposition, including some health considerations. At the bottom line, in an era when 1 in 3 Americans can't swing a $400 expense, I count myself lucky that I have the luxury to view this as an annoyance rather than a rent-level existential crisis. It's fixed, and I'll move on.
Glad it is now resolved. One of my important (and ongoing) life lessons is to pick the right battles.
The following 2 users liked this post by cbus:
F3Woody (09-05-23), LexFinally (09-05-23)
Old 11-03-23, 04:51 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I just picked up an ES350 a couple weeks ago and this thread has been burned into my head. I never had to worry about the '99 Avalon this way - these newer sedans all have delicate low hanging front bumpers. I'm surprised the OP's damage was in the rear which is much higher.

Last edited by hotwings; 11-03-23 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-03-23, 04:57 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This exactly. The purpose of a concrete parking block is to let you pull up to it until your tire bumps against the concrete, telling you to go no farther.
In Boston, that's the purpose of the car parked in front of you, pull up to it until your bumper bumps it, telling you to go no farther.
GS350Miami (11-04-23)
Old 11-04-23, 07:41 AM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I feel your pain

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Shouldn't the backup warning system (whatever they call it) have gone off and alerted you?
I experienced a similar situation, but with the front of my 2020 ES 350 with under 2000 miles. The city invoked “sovereign immunity”, essentially shielding them from liability, as they were unaware of the issue that resulted in my damage. They were out fixing it the same day that I called to ask them to pay for the damage. They would’ve been liable had they known about the problem but had done nothing about it. You really couldn’t see the damage, but I knew it was there and chose to have it repaired by my Lexus Dealers Bodyshop. It’s now as if it never happened.
Old 11-04-23, 08:19 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by lccgl479
I experienced a similar situation, but with the front of my 2020 ES 350 with under 2000 miles. The city invoked “sovereign immunity”, essentially shielding them from liability, as they were unaware of the issue that resulted in my damage. They were out fixing it the same day that I called to ask them to pay for the damage. They would’ve been liable had they known about the problem but had done nothing about it. You really couldn’t see the damage, but I knew it was there and chose to have it repaired by my Lexus Dealers Bodyshop. It’s now as if it never happened.
Yes, that sounds very, very much like my situation. Frustrating, but I'm glad the repair went well.
lccgl479 (11-04-23)
Old 11-04-23, 08:24 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 231 Likes on 170 Posts

The correction of a condition that is alleged to have caused injury or damage is not admissible in court as an admission of liability (in most if not all states). This is a public policy doctrine based on the fact that such use would discourage such repairs. As a society we want those repairs to be made quickly, regardless of causation. If used as an admission, these kinds of things would seldom if ever get fixed.
In court, or in negotiation, you have to show that the condition caused the damage, without regard to subsequent remedial actions.
Old 11-13-23, 01:55 PM
darkknightntpa
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that sucks in so many different ways... I always try to watch the 360 cameras when pulling up to one of those, because cars with low front clearance will sometimes get scraped under the front air dam, but like you I generally don't worry about that when backing into a spot... I will now...
LexFinally (11-13-23)