ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Things the Lexus dealership does that you hate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 06:05 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Things the Lexus dealership does that you hate?

Lexus dealership experiences only – From sales to service, ranging from minor inconveniences like their waiting area doesn't smell good, to some horror stories where they damaged your engine, tried to hide it and blamed it on you later, either your own experience or stories you've come across, let's us hear it.

I'll go first. On every occasion I've taken my car in for an oil change or any service, they consistently misplace one (or even two) of the valve stem covers. To make matters worse, sometimes the technicians were aware and resorted to replacing it with a mismatched one. I always found out the next day or so though. And for those times that I remembered and checked at the dealership, they were all here LOL. I ended up order 2 OEM sets ensuring I had enough spares to avoid getting frustrated about it anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by july1988:
GS350Miami (09-06-23), lccgl479 (09-06-23)
Old 09-05-23, 06:51 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Haven't had a bad experience with two Lexus vehicles bought. The first one in late 2012 was a great experience and my experience last year picking up my ES was a fantastic one as well, at least at my dealership of choice.

One dealership engaged in the practice up "market value" markups, so an extra $5k added on. They wouldn't budge at all, so after an hour of going back and forth, I told them I would take my business elsewhere as I found their business practice to be bad. A week later they wanted to make a deal without the markup and I turned them down.

Another dealership I went to for my 5k mile service ended up washing my car even though I was "don't worry I'll be sure they don't wash your vehicle, per your request", then the advisor just lied about it after the fact.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
E46CT (09-06-23), july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-05-23, 07:36 PM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't had any really bad experiences. The one that sticks out was when I took in our 2010 ES for the airbag inflator recall, they told me that one of my drive shaft boots was leaking and quoted a very high price to repair it. I bought the replacement kit online and took it to my local repair shop. He called me back and said that neither one was leaking and I didn't need the work performed and didn't charge me anything. I was just out the $75 for the kit and never ended up needing it.
The following users liked this post:
july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-05-23, 08:46 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
Haven't had a bad experience with two Lexus vehicles bought. The first one in late 2012 was a great experience and my experience last year picking up my ES was a fantastic one as well, at least at my dealership of choice.

One dealership engaged in the practice up "market value" markups, so an extra $5k added on. They wouldn't budge at all, so after an hour of going back and forth, I told them I would take my business elsewhere as I found their business practice to be bad. A week later they wanted to make a deal without the markup and I turned them down.

Another dealership I went to for my 5k mile service ended up washing my car even though I was "don't worry I'll be sure they don't wash your vehicle, per your request", then the advisor just lied about it after the fact.
I have a DO NOT WASH sign I put on my dashboard when I need to go in for service. I keep it in my glovebox.
The following 3 users liked this post by Denzlex:
FreddyG (09-19-23), july1988 (09-06-23), scubapr (09-06-23)
Old 09-05-23, 10:31 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

We have three cars I keep up and it seems like more often than not a valve stem cover is missing after service. Seems pretty basic and obvious to know is missing yet not taken care of.

Gee, thanks for checking my tire pressure and losing a valve stem cover. I appreciate it! Hopefully I won’t drive in rain or snow before I notice it missing.
The following 3 users liked this post by BBQapple:
GS350Miami (09-06-23), july1988 (09-06-23), scubapr (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 06:41 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
We have three cars I keep up and it seems like more often than not a valve stem cover is missing after service. Seems pretty basic and obvious to know is missing yet not taken care of.

Gee, thanks for checking my tire pressure and losing a valve stem cover. I appreciate it! Hopefully I won’t drive in rain or snow before I notice it missing.

I haven't had that happen (yet) but I'd be PO'd if it happened as I replaced the plastic originals with metal ones so it would be very obvious!
The following 3 users liked this post by ATL350:
E46CT (09-06-23), july1988 (09-06-23), scubapr (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 07:14 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

SALES: When they use "Really Pushy Sales Tactics" to try to sell you what they want to move from inventory and not what you want. Next when negotiating price they say that the price is final (the lower they can give you) because another client is looking for the same VIN; you walk away and next day $500-$1k discount. Finally at closing you notice that numbers s does not match because they go "Hard Ball" adding you services and guarantees that are not necessary in the sale; even bringing additional "Team Members" to support and help with the add-ons.

But honestly that's something I think happens with most sellers/dealers regardless of brand.

SERVICE: On the dealer tour the facilities looked nice, clean and well prepared. The waiting area has working stations, free snacks, coffee/chocolate machine, and beverages. I have my first service appointment next week (first month inspection), so will see.

My Story (Sales): I went shopping with 4 cars in mind (in order): TLX Type-S, ES 350 Lux or UL (w/ML sound), BMW M340i (lease only) and Model 3. At Lexus, after testing the ES350 V6 I saw their website had an ES 300h Lux. I told the sell man that I would like to try the hybrid since I had never tried one before. He brought me a base ES 300h. I was only interested in testing engine performance so didn't mind it was a base model. I was very surprised by the quiet startup, overall cabin silence at cruising, and torque at low speeds (in sport mode) compared to the 350. It's not anywhere the power of the V6 at all, but for me the silence of the cabin and the fuel savings made me consider the 300h over the 350. When I told the sales man I was interested in the 300h Luxury at his online inventory. He told me (and insisted for a few minutes) that he couldn't sell me that one because they had it in another dealer location 80 miles from them; and he was only authorized to sell the local inventory. He went further insisting, that although it was a base model, it did not change much in specifications (basically same car) for almost $10k less. When I told him: ML Sound, 12" vs 8" screen, Moonroof, Triple-Leds, Adj. Seats, Leather, etc... He told me that the sound was almost identical less a 2 speakers, and that the lights didn't make that much difference; but I was going to save a lot of $ on the base. I told him: "ok, no problem, I understand. Thanks. I'll try to make a trip to the other location during the week to see that VIN". He immediately spoke with the manager and the next day they brought me the vehicle in a tow truck for me to test drive. That was the one I bought.
The following 3 users liked this post by scubapr:
GS350Miami (09-07-23), july1988 (09-06-23), LexFinally (09-08-23)
Old 09-06-23, 07:16 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
We have three cars I keep up and it seems like more often than not a valve stem cover is missing after service. Seems pretty basic and obvious to know is missing yet not taken care of...
Thanks! Will keep that in mind and check them on my first appointment next week.
Old 09-06-23, 07:34 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Every time I take my car in for state inspection the service writer comes out holding my cabin filter and stating that it requires changing. Now this filter is about $20.00 and takes no more than10 minutes to change.
Lexus wanted $60.00 so I said NO!. This is after they emptied my glove box to remove the filter and show it to me. They also do the same with the engine filter removing it from it's enclosure in the engine compartment.
They actually get annoyed when I refuse. Tough noogies...
july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

I always replace plastic valve stem caps with high quality high finish gun metal ones. they look 2000x better.

I find the lexus dealers have been somewhat OK. they leave my car dirty or damaged. On my Lexus ES, the service lady threw one of those sandy gritty formerly used on a dirty sandy gritty soccer mom RX bright yellow service triangle/cones on my roof and dragged it off when she delivered my car. "All ready to go, sir!" I bet... I get home and sure enough she left some nasty drag marks on the roof of my brand new car. Plus there were hand prints on the steering wheel. And this is probably one of the most prestigious lexus dealers in the area. another time i took my CT200h to the same dealer because the axle was clicking. i mentioned this forum as the source for my information as the axle commonly clicking on prius & CT and he laughed and said the forums don't know anything. and that was the foreman. he said he found nothing wrong. so i went home and diagnosed the axle myself and repacked it with grease and the noise went away.

Took my Tesla into service to check the tire balance? the technicians were super friendly and covered my steering wheel, seats, and floor in plastic/paper AND they wore disposable socks and a hair net. i was shocked in a good way! the tech also told me to hop in and he drove me around so i can point out the tire balance. he found one of the weights fell off and re-balanced one of the wheels in 20 min and i was on my way
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
93SCMax (09-07-23), ATL350 (09-07-23), july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 08:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond

the worst is when they wash your car and slather the interior in armorall.. and usually it's not a dealer thing or dealer policy thing.. it's one of the porters who does it to all his personal cars so probably felt it might be a good idea to do it to customer's cars. probably spray some tire shine on a rag and go to town
Old 09-06-23, 08:09 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
the worst is when they wash your car and slather the interior in armorall.. and usually it's not a dealer thing or dealer policy thing.. it's one of the porters who does it to all his personal cars so probably felt it might be a good idea to do it to customer's cars. probably spray some tire shine on a rag and go to town
Thankfully I've never had anyone touch the interior of my car.
Old 09-06-23, 10:04 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Like almost all other car dealerships, they always overfill the motor oil. I have an electric siphon to take out the excess, I'm used to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsmith:
Denzlex (09-06-23), july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 10:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith
Like almost all other car dealerships, they always overfill the motor oil. I have an electric siphon to take out the excess, I'm used to it.
My wife's RX once came back one quart LOW. I no longer use the dealer unless there's a warranty issue which is unlikely since both of our cars are out of warranty other than emission stuff. The missing valve stems covers are standard practice I presume - I don't know how many I've replaced while they were servicing our cars. But the worst ever was when I suspected my wife's RX needed brakes and they told me they were fine. Month later metal on metal. I fought them hard on that one and only paid for the pads and labor.
july1988 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 10:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I always replace plastic valve stem caps with high quality high finish gun metal ones. they look 2000x better.

I find the lexus dealers have been somewhat OK. they leave my car dirty or damaged. On my Lexus ES, the service lady threw one of those sandy gritty formerly used on a dirty sandy gritty soccer mom RX bright yellow service triangle/cones on my roof and dragged it off when she delivered my car. "All ready to go, sir!" I bet... I get home and sure enough she left some nasty drag marks on the roof of my brand new car. Plus there were hand prints on the steering wheel. And this is probably one of the most prestigious lexus dealers in the area. another time i took my CT200h to the same dealer because the axle was clicking. i mentioned this forum as the source for my information as the axle commonly clicking on prius & CT and he laughed and said the forums don't know anything. and that was the foreman. he said he found nothing wrong. so i went home and diagnosed the axle myself and repacked it with grease and the noise went away.

Took my Tesla into service to check the tire balance? the technicians were super friendly and covered my steering wheel, seats, and floor in plastic/paper AND they wore disposable socks and a hair net. i was shocked in a good way! the tech also told me to hop in and he drove me around so i can point out the tire balance. he found one of the weights fell off and re-balanced one of the wheels in 20 min and i was on my way
they look 2000x better. Who actually observes the valve stem covers?? Sorry CT
bc6152 (09-06-23)

Quick Reply: Things the Lexus dealership does that you hate?