ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How do I keep rear air conditioning vents turned on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 08:35 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
I’m certainly not knowledgeable regarding all this. But as a matter of logic, it just seems to me that when a device or appliance is running, doing so consumes energy. If it’s powered by the battery, the energy is provided by a battery. Then doesn’t the engine have run just a tad faster to replace the energy expended from the battery to power the running of the device. If so, that would consume a tad more fuel. Just basic logic, not technical knowledge.
ALL: My logic is based on an ICE system for Lux and Ultra Lux. I know that the Hybrid systems throw in a different wrinkle to the battery usage/charging, but I still question the "fuel efficiency" claims of shutting down a blower motor.

Shaboom. The posted information states that the functionality improves "fuel" efficiency. 1) Yes, you are spot on that, a battery uses it's energy to support the blowers but the fuel that feeds that battery is ultimately petrol. The alternator that charges that battery (to run those blowers) does so at the same speed (engine fuel draw) whether those blowers are running or not. 2)I'd presume the manufacturer would have enough "excess" voltage to NOT run the battery down (while the engine is running) with usage of all battery dependent items in the car otherwise we'd all need new batteries way too frequently.

Running the blowers less MAY increase battery life, but I've yet to be convinced that avoiding the use of a blower would result in "increased fuel efficiency".

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to further information.

Last edited by MAMOSKO; 09-07-23 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-07-23, 09:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Full disclosure I do not have this function on my vehicle. I think the OP has good information regarding the posted topic, so if you'll indulge me I'd like to hijack the thread for a brief detour.

I'm wondering how having the fan off in the rear, or a portion of the front for that matter, positively affects "fuel efficiency". If there is cooling needed in the vehicle a compressor is running (i.e. the drain on fuel efficiency vs it not running). Historically, the compressor is binary... on or off. Do the vehicles with this feature have a multi-speed compressor that runs it with more stress when greater cooling is needed or alternately, are there multiple compressors running (one for front and one for back)?

If not, then I believe the claim of improved fuel efficiency is false. My logic: All the blowers run off of battery power and what this function achieves is shutting off a zone's blower when someone is not recognized as present (i.e. not reducing the compressor impact on fuel efficiency).

You forum members are much more informed than I regarding the technical details on these types of issues. Without attacking me, please shoot holes in my argument. And I'm not interested in how Tesla does it Thanks!

Hybrids (2019+ ESh) have an electric compressor which run on multiple modes. One of the features of it is that it has the variable speed. When you turn the car/AC on on a hot day, it will spin fast on ECO mode, faster on COMFORT mode and much faster on SPORT mode. When the inside temperature drops at set temperature, the speed of the compressor will drop, as the speed of the blower.
Now, there's more, you can select the compressor to run so slow that it will not create any vibrations or noise. You can select if you want the compressor to run on Automatic mode or Manual mode.
You can adjust the blower motor to not increment speed fast but gradually so you won't notice.
And, at the end, seat coolers: Silent with low amount of wind, silent but with high amount of wind, or standard.

These are some of the customisable options:

Now, there's a mode called Climate concierge. Everything goes on AUTO and the passenger comfort will be at the highest.

One more thing, by having the S-Flow mode enabled, when only the driver is in the car, the climate will focus on cooling only the driver and area around him, not passenger side or rear seats. That will help the compressor to run slowly and efficiently.

Last edited by ESh; 09-07-23 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 09:15 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

Quite fascinating. Thanks for the education.
Old 09-07-23, 09:15 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Hybrids (2019+ ESh) has an electronic compressor which had multiple modes. One of the features of it is that it has the variable speed. When you turn the car/AC on on a hot day, it will spin fast on ECO mode, faster on COMFORT mode and much faster on SPORT mode. When the inside temperature drops at set temperature, the speed of the compressor will drop, as the speed of the blower.
Now, there's more, you can select the compressor to run so slow that it will not create any vibrations or noise. You can select if you want the compressor to run on Automatic mode or Manual mode.
You can adjust the blower motor to not increment speed fast but gradually so you won't notice.
And, at the end, seat coolers: Silent with low amount of wind, silent but with high amount of wind, or standard.

These are some of the customisable options:

Now, there's a mode called Climate concierge. Everything goes on AUTO and the passenger comfort will be at the highest.

One more thing, by having the S-Flow mode enabled, when only the driver is in the car, the climate will focus on cooling only the driver and area around him, not passenger side or rear seats. That will help the compressor to run slowly and efficiently.
Esh: Variable compressor speed makes a lot of sense and in that case the fuel efficiency could be gained. Do you know if that same compressor option is present in the ICE Lux/Ultra Lux models?
Old 09-07-23, 09:22 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

ALL: My logic is based on an ICE system for Lux and Ultra Lux. I know that the Hybrid systems throw in a different wrinkle to the battery usage/charging, but I still question the "fuel efficiency" claims of shutting down a blower motor.

Shaboom. The posted information states that the functionality improves "fuel" efficiency. 1) Yes, you are spot on that, a battery uses it's energy to support the blowers but the fuel that feeds that battery is ultimately petrol. The alternator that charges that battery (to run those blowers) does so at the same speed (engine fuel draw) whether those blowers are running or not. 2)I'd presume the manufacturer would have enough "excess" voltage to NOT run the battery down (while the engine is running) with usage of all battery dependent items in the car otherwise we'd all need new batteries way too frequently.

Running the blowers less MAY increase battery life, but I've yet to be convinced that avoiding the use of a blower would result in "increased fuel efficiency".

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to further information.

On gasoline powered and hybrid cars, blowers run on 12V power. On a gasoline powered car, when the engine is running, the electricity goes from the alternator to the blower (and other things). When there's draw (from blowers and other things), the alternator will have to produce more electricity, which means that the electromagnetic field around the rotor will be stronger, which means that the engine will need more power to spin it, which means it will increase fuel consumption.
On a hybrid car, the HV battery feeds the 12V battery through the DC-DC converter. When you turn on the blower, the 12V battery will feed it. At the same time, the HV battery will recharge the 12V battery and that means the HV battery will drain faster, which means that the ICE will have to run longer/more often and the fuel consumption will go up.

Last edited by ESh; 09-07-23 at 09:34 AM.
scubapr (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 09:29 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
On gasoline powered and hybrid cars, blowers run on 12V power. On a gasoline powered car, when the engine is running, the electricity goes from the alternator to the blower (and other things). When there's draw (from blowers and other things), the alternator will have to produce more electricity, which means that the electromagnetic field around the rotor will be stronger, which means that the engine will need more power to spin it, which means it will increase fuel consumption.
On a hybrid car, the HV battery feeds the 12V battery through the DC-DC converter. When you turn on the blower, the 12V battery will feed it. At the same time, the HV battery will recharge the 12V battery and that means the HV battery will drain faster, which means that the ICE will have to run longer/more often and the fuel consumption goes up.
@ESh Thank you very much for such informative posts. Really appreciated. A+
ESh (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 09:33 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Esh: Variable compressor speed makes a lot of sense and in that case the fuel efficiency could be gained. Do you know if that same compressor option is present in the ICE Lux/Ultra Lux models?

No, unfortunately it is an on/off clutch, but still, these newer cars has very efficient compressors.