ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How do I keep rear air conditioning vents turned on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 08:35 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts
Default How do I keep rear air conditioning vents turned on?

This button keeps re-selecting itself. When it’s selected like this the airflow to rear seats is disabled. I deselect it and within a day of errands it turns itself back on and there’s no more rear airflow.

Old 09-06-23, 09:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

is it because no one is in back?
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (09-07-23)
Old 09-06-23, 02:55 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

That option has to be turned off with Techstream.
Old 09-06-23, 04:41 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
That option has to be turned off with Techstream.
I wonder why Toyota/Lexus complicated such a thing, just leave it on and if we don't want air, we just close the (physical, left or right, or both) rear air vents our own.
Slowly stepping toward (unreliable) German engineer is what I see Toyota is doing
Old 09-07-23, 12:03 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

That’s to save energy.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESh:
ATL350 (09-07-23), scubapr (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 04:05 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
That’s to save energy.
^^^ This. It's not just the rear, it also affects passenger side as well. The same thing happened to me a few days ago taking my 9yr old nephew to basketball practice. Apparently due to its small size, the system did not detect his weight and did not engage the rear air flow automatically. Had to do it manually via the same screen. Although it is a good idea, the detection response should be improved.

I couldn't find the setting in the "Lexus Personalized Settings by Dealer" document. But apparently the Carista App has the option to do so (disable). I have the APP, so I would have to try and see. But according to the manual, even if the function is turned off, it's activated automatically after 1 hour of turning off the car.

Old 09-07-23, 04:35 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

It does not use the occupant sensor for detection but the infrared sensors mounted on the headliner.

If you disable the S-Flow option via Techstrean/Carista, it will not turn on automatically.
scubapr (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 04:58 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
It does not use the occupant sensor for detection but the infrared sensors mounted on the headliner...
That would explain it because my nephew was behind my seat and I'm 6ft tall. He's so small that was basically hidden behind the driver's seat. Maybe that prevented the infrared from detecting it.

Originally Posted by ESh
...If you disable the S-Flow option via Techstrean/Carista, it will not turn on automatically.
Excellent. Thank you! I'll personally prefer to keep it active. I understand that the rear vents most likely has a separate blower to help with air flow. So if there is no one behind (99% of the time) I prefer to conserve that energy/fuel.
Old 09-07-23, 05:56 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
^^^ This. It's not just the rear, it also affects passenger side as well. The same thing happened to me a few days ago taking my 9yr old nephew to basketball practice. Apparently due to its small size, the system did not detect his weight and did not engage the rear air flow automatically. Had to do it manually via the same screen. Although it is a good idea, the detection response should be improved.

I couldn't find the setting in the "Lexus Personalized Settings by Dealer" document. But apparently the Carista App has the option to do so (disable). I have the APP, so I would have to try and see. But according to the manual, even if the function is turned off, it's activated automatically after 1 hour of turning off the car.

is this feature in 2021 non hybrid 350 ES?
Old 09-07-23, 06:09 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Not sure if it applies to all trims and which year started, but my 2023 ES300h Luxury has it. My DW 2019 Rav4 has the "rear flow" setting as a dedicated physical button on the climate control area.

The 2023 ES does not have a physical button for this, only via multimedia interface.
Old 09-07-23, 06:20 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shaboom

Yes, on Luxury and Ultra.
Old 09-07-23, 06:41 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Maybe creating and installing such tech items like this one contributes to the ever soaring costs of today’s new cars. Do we really need such features?!
Old 09-07-23, 07:36 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Fuel Efficiency Question

Originally Posted by scubapr

Full disclosure I do not have this function on my vehicle. I think the OP has good information regarding the posted topic, so if you'll indulge me I'd like to hijack the thread for a brief detour.

I'm wondering how having the fan off in the rear, or a portion of the front for that matter, positively affects "fuel efficiency". If there is cooling needed in the vehicle a compressor is running (i.e. the drain on fuel efficiency vs it not running). Historically, the compressor is binary... on or off. Do the vehicles with this feature have a multi-speed compressor that runs it with more stress when greater cooling is needed or alternately, are there multiple compressors running (one for front and one for back)?

If not, then I believe the claim of improved fuel efficiency is false. My logic: All the blowers run off of battery power and what this function achieves is shutting off a zone's blower when someone is not recognized as present (i.e. not reducing the compressor impact on fuel efficiency).

You forum members are much more informed than I regarding the technical details on these types of issues. Without attacking me, please shoot holes in my argument. And I'm not interested in how Tesla does it Thanks!

Last edited by MAMOSKO; 09-07-23 at 07:39 AM. Reason: x
Old 09-07-23, 08:00 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Full disclosure I do not have this function on my vehicle. I think the OP has good information regarding the posted topic, so if you'll indulge me I'd like to hijack the thread for a brief detour.

I'm wondering how having the fan off in the rear, or a portion of the front for that matter, positively affects "fuel efficiency". If there is cooling needed in the vehicle a compressor is running (i.e. the drain on fuel efficiency vs it not running). Historically, the compressor is binary... on or off. Do the vehicles with this feature have a multi-speed compressor that runs it with more stress when greater cooling is needed or alternately, are there multiple compressors running (one for front and one for back)?

If not, then I believe the claim of improved fuel efficiency is false. My logic: All the blowers run off of battery power and what this function achieves is shutting off a zone's blower when someone is not recognized as present (i.e. not reducing the compressor impact on fuel efficiency).

You forum members are much more informed than I regarding the technical details on these types of issues. Without attacking me, please shoot holes in my argument. And I'm not interested in how Tesla does it Thanks!
I’m certainly not knowledgeable regarding all this. But as a matter of logic, it just seems to me that when a device or appliance is running, doing so consumes energy. If it’s powered by the battery, the energy is provided by a battery. Then doesn’t the engine have run just a tad faster to replace the energy expended from the battery to power the running of the device. If so, that would consume a tad more fuel. Just basic logic, not technical knowledge.
Old 09-07-23, 08:19 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, at least I know I’m not going crazy.

Partly I want it disabled because it’s super hot in Texas and the car cools off faster with all the vents working. Or maybe I have groceries or flowers in the back. Or maybe when I choose a setting I don’t want the car to second guess me and change it. It’s going to be 107F tomorrow and humid ugh!!
MAMOSKO (09-07-23)

Quick Reply: How do I keep rear air conditioning vents turned on?