ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

oil change/servicing at dealership for the first time. What else should I bring up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23 | 06:58 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Default oil change/servicing at dealership for the first time. What else should I bring up?

This will be my first time bringing a car into the dealership for servicing and it'll be for the complimentary oil change. If it's free, I'll take it.

Planning to also bring up the TSB about the speaker amp. How should I approach it? Is it just a matter of saying, "I've noticed my rear speakers are very low and came across this TSB with a fix. Can you fix it?" Not sure how obliged they are to do so.

Wind draft in rear driver side that I had posted previously.

Any other common problems or TSB's that I should bring up? Or tips on how i should approach it with least amount of pushback? My warranty ends next month. Currently at just shy of 24k miles
Old 09-09-23 | 12:55 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Is there any irregularity as gears shift. Some complain of “jerky” shifting. Any roughness or hesitation upon acceleration from time to time? I’m dealing with that.
Other than that, they seem to be generally complaint free cars.
The following users liked this post:
Lesley248 (09-09-23)
Old 09-09-23 | 01:46 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lesley248

Any other common problems or TSB's that I should bring up? Or tips on how i should approach it with least amount of pushback? My warranty ends next month. Currently at just shy of 24k miles
Does your ES still have the OEM 12V battery?

While battery life varies, a 4 year old battery is getting in the range of "normal" battery failure timeframe.

If your battery is still OEM, suggest you check your local area for a free battery testing service (some auto stores, AutoZone is one, have it available) and have your battery tested for free. If it tests bad or marginal then when you take your ES into the dealer just state the battery test results and request an under warranty battery replacement. (The dealer will most certainly retest the battery with their Lexus battery tester so don't try to stretch the truth about the battery's health status.)

In case you need a reference on warranty coverage for Lexus OEM 12V battery , WHAT WARRANTY COVERAGE DOES MY BATTERY HAVE? is Lexus's support article on that.
Lesley248 (09-09-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 05:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

Planning to also bring up the TSB about the speaker amp. How should I approach it? Is it just a matter of saying, "I've noticed my rear speakers are very low and came across this TSB with a fix. Can you fix it?" Not sure how obliged they are to do so.
Be advised that speaker amp TSB only applies to the base Pioneer auto system and doesn't apply if you got a Mark Levinson audio system.

I also see from your old postings your ES was equipped with Dynamic Navigation. When your 3 year trial period expired, did you upgrade to a paid subscription and update the on-board navigation database to a more current version?

If so, check your system's "Map Data" "Map version" and "Expiration date" information to ensure that data has been updated to reflect the map data update and revised subscription expiration date. See page 112, "Map information" section, of the 2019 Lexus ES 350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual for details. (On the map screen select the abstract map grid looking icon on the left side icon list, then select the "Map Data" item from the resulting menu item list.)

The reason I'm mentioning that is that I had a difficult to resolve issue with that data getting updated when I updated the map database and changed over to a navigation subscription. Everything but the on-board Map Data updated to show the change from trial to active navigation subscription. There was some glitch between the on-board firmware and Lexus's backend software that prevented the on-board map data to show anything other that the original factory installed map version date and version and the expiration date as "Expired". Took a new hardware module update/change and 3 weeks of daily back and forth of "try this, didn't fix it" between Lexus corporate and the service department before the issue got fixed - all covered by warranty.
Lesley248 (09-11-23)
Old 09-11-23 | 09:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

usually the free oil change is for the first when you bought the car. your car is a 2019 and has 24k miles. how do you figure they will give you a free oil change? did you buy it used?
Old 09-11-23 | 09:24 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Maybe it’s the dealership’s private fringe benefit of buying a car there. A dealership here offers free oil changes for as long as you own the used car you bought from them.
Old 09-11-23 | 09:45 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
usually the free oil change is for the first when you bought the car. your car is a 2019 and has 24k miles. how do you figure they will give you a free oil change? did you buy it used?
CPO comes with two years scheduled maintenance (actually based on mileage, so it can be used up quicker than two years). At least mine did, so I'm assuming that's a national standard and not just my dealer's offer.
Old 09-11-23 | 09:51 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT
what F3Woody said. bought it CPO
Old 09-12-23 | 09:00 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

So I brought in the car yesterday and left with a loaner since I had to go to work. The service advisor (not the actual tech) called me back midday and said that they discovered a loose "window hub bearing" and that was the cause of the wind noise so they went ahead and ordered a replacement. I'm no expert in cars but ...window hub bearing? I repeated it back to clarify and she said yes. She said it was covered by the warranty so I didn't question it but what in the world is a window hub bearing?

As for the speakers, they said the speakers are fine so they're not going to repair anything that is working. I told them that it's a known issue and Lexus had issued an official fix as per the TSB. My main talking point was that the fader does little to nothing to balance with the back. After telling her that, she said I would have to speak with the tech because they couldn't "replicated the issue". Since she's just the messenger, I left it as that but thoughts on a different approach?
Old 09-12-23 | 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

the front to back thing is a known issue on 7ES, particular 19-20. i think there's a recall on the amp. look into it.
Old 09-12-23 | 09:43 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

As for the speakers, they said the speakers are fine so they're not going to repair anything that is working. I told them that it's a known issue and Lexus had issued an official fix as per the TSB. My main talking point was that the fader does little to nothing to balance with the back. After telling her that, she said I would have to speak with the tech because they couldn't "replicated the issue". Since she's just the messenger, I left it as that but thoughts on a different approach?
Oh no, my friend. I've attached the TSB for you. You need to take it back to them and have them replace that amp. I got the same stonewall you did, had to do the research myself and only then would my dealer make the switch.
It is NOT a perfect fix, it will not produce even front-to-rear volume, but the new amp makes it a bit better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0020-20 (1).pdf (332.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-12-23 | 11:02 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Oh no, my friend. I've attached the TSB for you. You need to take it back to them and have them replace that amp. I got the same stonewall you did, had to do the research myself and only then would my dealer make the switch.
It is NOT a perfect fix, it will not produce even front-to-rear volume, but the new amp makes it a bit better.
yep! I had printed out the TSB and gave it to them in when I dropped off my car but she made it sound it sound like the tech didn't think there was anything wrong it because the speakers pretty much "turned on". Quality of the sound was irrelevant to the argument.
Old 09-12-23 | 11:28 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

yep! I had printed out the TSB and gave it to them in when I dropped off my car but she made it sound it sound like the tech didn't think there was anything wrong it because the speakers pretty much "turned on". Quality of the sound was irrelevant to the argument.
I would argue it's not quality of sound, but a function/feature of the stereo system that's it's not working correctly; regardless it's impact on quality. They probably would have to order the part to change at a later date though.
Old 09-12-23 | 03:28 PM
SugarmillM
Driver

You may need to take the TSB to the Service Manager.
Old 09-12-23 | 04:30 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Check your oil level before you leave the dealership.

Quick Reply: oil change/servicing at dealership for the first time. What else should I bring up?