ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Android Auto Skipping Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 02:14 AM
pkm52000
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto Skipping Audio

I am experiencing audio drop outs in my 2020 ES300H seeing if anyone else has come across it. I have the Mark Levinson system but randomly the audio playback skips for a split second. I have experienced skipping in the following situations:
- While stationary at a traffic light
- While driving
- While turning

Usually the audio skips for a split second then returns to normal. I have noticed Google maps lock up for that same duration of the skip and in a recent occurrence during a navigation announcement where part of a street name was not audible. When I say the maps locks up during a turn if a skip occurs the turning animation stop completely then jumps to continue turning.

My personal device is Samsung Note 10 Plus, purchased November 2019.

Actions Taken:
- Tried another Android phone -> same thing on a Samsung Fold 4
- Tried using Apple Carplay -> worked flawlessly for the hour testing I did
- Radio -> no issues so seems limited to Android Auto
- Tried multiple different USB A to USB C cables -> 3 month old Belkin, brand new Samsung, old Sony, old Anker
- Clear Android Auto cache
- Remove and block Lexus from Bluetooth settings -> Going to try allowing the connection next
- Blowing air into the cable connector and phone usb socket

Lexus of Auckland can't reproduce the symptoms on any of their tested devices. The car is still under warranty so I am trying to resolve it before it lapses.

Personally I think it's the processing unit which I assume is the screen but can't really prove that.

I have found some similar posts but for crossovers which don't seem to have a resolution yet
Old 09-12-23, 03:25 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pkm52000
I am experiencing audio drop outs in my 2020 ES300H seeing if anyone else has come across it. I have the Mark Levinson system but randomly the audio playback skips for a split second...
Which app are you using to play music? I just noticed the issue a couple of times this weekend using Android Auto and PowerAmp (1 month ownership 2023 300h /w ML wireless AA connection). I have my music library/playlist on the phone (all FLAC's). Will try VLC next time and report.
Old 09-12-23, 12:15 PM
pkm52000
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
Which app are you using to play music? I just noticed the issue a couple of times this weekend using Android Auto and PowerAmp (1 month ownership 2023 300h /w ML wireless AA connection). I have my music library/playlist on the phone (all FLAC's). Will try VLC next time and report.
I am using Doubletwist which syncs my iTunes library to my phone for local playback. I don't have wireless Android Auto in my car but am planning on getting a AAWireless 2023 dongle hard wired once the warranty runs out.

In terms of the other devices, the fold 4 uses YouTube Music which also skipped however that was actually streaming. The iPhone was using Spotify Premium (streaming) which didn't skip however I have seen other post say CarPlay doesn't present the same issues. I did find the CarPlay UI very sluggish though.

I am yet to try playback using only Bluetooth only however seems a bit pointless given I can use my phone and the same cable in another car which doesn't have a issue.

Have you tried using a wired connection to eliminate wireless AA being the issue? I have seen in other posts they don't have the issue when switching to wired and disabling Bluetooth for the models that support Android Auto Wireless. I was given a 2023 UX250H loan car which had the new interface where it never skipped.

When I was with the service manager I noticed he kept switching to the maps only view so I wonder if its a known issue as it wouldn't happen in front of him but several times as soon as I pull out of the dealership driveway.
Old 09-13-23, 03:02 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice troubleshooting. It's my first time using AA as I only have aprox. < 300mi on my new 2023 300h w/ ML system. During the first few days I was using Spotify (streaming) and I don't remember the issue happening. Then I transferred my FLAC's library to my phone so I can play HIFI audio through AA. That's when I started noticing the issue; but it was a couple of times during 45 min drive.

Haven't tried wired connection or any other advanced troubleshooting yet. I was expecting this to be an AA issue and not a head-unit issue; but maybe it's a combination of both. I'll further troubleshoot in the next few weeks and report back.