ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Base stereo different in Luxury??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 10:01 PM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Base stereo different in Luxury??

So, I just spent weeks researching a new car, trying to figure out what was critical to have or not. Also trying to decide hybrid or not, so FIVE models tested. First ES I drove with base stereo, it just sucked. Then drove an Ultra with ML and liked it a lot. Then a Luxury model and the sound was fine followed by a base that was horrible again. Then another luxury that was fine. Altogether score was two base models sucked, and two Luxury were fine. One A/B test was done with my USB and same songs.

I thought it was just either Pioneer or ML.

Part of my research was reading threads here and there were many different opinions on the Pioneer. Is it possible Lexus ups quality on the Luxury? Just thought I'd throw this out here in case it helps anyone researching to buy.

PS, just bought a new 2024 300H Luxury today......
Old 09-14-23, 10:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

A/B listening tests are tricky. A person gets acclimated to a certain sound (what you listen to most) so when you hear something else you might not like it at first. Give it some time and you'll realize it is much better. I'm not discounting the fact that a truly transparent, great sounding system will wow anyone. But in car audio it's rare (maybe impossible) to have such a system since the listening space is a compromise. IMO the only car audio systems that are optimal are ones that are designed specifically for the car and tuned via DSP. Are ML systems doing this?

On digital processing for a specific volume, it certainly doesn't guarantee good sound. It still comes down to the art of audio and the engineers behind it.

Old 09-15-23, 05:12 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed with lex2k.

it’s just like to add that the variation in surfaces for the luxury and the ultralux is not that high. It’s the same semi-aniline. It’s the same interior trims. Lets presume you tested it with the side sunshades down on the UL.

did you listen to it on exactly the same song? The same eq settings?

it is true that Lexus has unstated differences between base and lux trims. More laminated glass for example. It would not surprise me if there was a subtle audio difference also; perhaps better eq settings. I lean towards skepticism on such a subjective point, but I am very curious about it, so that I may further lord it over other base owners (lol jk)
Old 09-15-23, 06:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Drive five models and only worried about the audio sound? Bigger fish to fry for sure when test driving cars IMO.
Old 09-15-23, 07:34 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Likely the bass midrange treble fader were set differently
Old 09-15-23, 08:13 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Drive five models and only worried about the audio sound? Bigger fish to fry for sure when test driving cars IMO.
Mike, Mike, Mike... as JRB would say... "come on maaan". OP didn't say that's the only thing he considered or worried about before making his purchase decision. To me he was just asking about the differences he perceived in sound and was wondering if there were different base audio specs. Lighten up.

FYI: I'm interested in hearing how superior the sound systems are in Tesla's. 3... 2... 1...
The following 2 users liked this post by MAMOSKO:
BBQapple (09-15-23), Myshkyn (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 09:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Mike, Mike, Mike... as JRB would say... "come on maaan". OP didn't say that's the only thing he considered or worried about before making his purchase decision. To me he was just asking about the differences he perceived in sound and was wondering if there were different base audio specs. Lighten up.

FYI: I'm interested in hearing how superior the sound systems are in Tesla's. 3... 2... 1...
Hmmmm let's see - I guess my reading comprehension must be lacking but all I see here are comments on sound systems.So, I just spent weeks researching a new car, trying to figure out what was critical to have or not. Also trying to decide hybrid or not, so FIVE models tested. First ES I drove with base stereo, it just sucked. Then drove an Ultra with ML and liked it a lot. Then a Luxury model and the sound was fine followed by a base that was horrible again. Then another luxury that was fine. Altogether score was two base models sucked, and two Luxury were fine. One A/B test was done with my USB and same songs.

Part of my research was reading threads here and there were many different opinions on the Pioneer. Is it possible Lexus ups quality on the Luxury? Just thought I'd throw this out here in case it helps anyone researching to buy.

Old 09-15-23, 10:44 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

I don’t think there is any kind of difference between the base audio on base model and the base audio on the Luxury model. Maybe that has to do something with the noise insulation.
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 12:02 PM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Hmmmm let's see - I guess my reading comprehension must be lacking but all I see here are comments on sound systems.So, I just spent weeks researching a new car, trying to figure out what was critical to have or not. Also trying to decide hybrid or not, so FIVE models tested. First ES I drove with base stereo, it just sucked. Then drove an Ultra with ML and liked it a lot. Then a Luxury model and the sound was fine followed by a base that was horrible again. Then another luxury that was fine. Altogether score was two base models sucked, and two Luxury were fine. One A/B test was done with my USB and same songs.

So things seem to have changed here at CL during my five years away, or maybe it's the difference between the GS forums and this one. I loved how there was no BS with people looking to pick fights or denigrate a poster for stupid reasons.

But here we are, as the Foo Fighters just sang..... so I'll jump down into the muck. You tried to make me sound stupid and petty for posting something interesting on the sound systems. And yes your reading comprehension is lacking. You highlighted several sentences and totally ignored the two that explained why I tested so many models:

"I just spent weeks researching a new car, trying to figure out what was critical to have or not. Also trying to decide hybrid or not,"

There are a lot of variables in buying a new car with three trim levels, plus two F sports, and hybrid or not. Sound system is just one piece of a giant puzzle, especially in times of low supply.

Last edited by geebee; 09-15-23 at 12:05 PM. Reason: eliminate old signature
The following 3 users liked this post by geebee:
BBQapple (09-15-23), bullnobull (09-15-23), MAMOSKO (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 12:23 PM
robfrmsd
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

once the speakers on the ML are broken in for about 6 months... they sound great.

so much bass and mids. I love the ML
Old 09-15-23, 01:13 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

@geebee, my earlier point exactly, for Mike. I was surprised by his response to you (and me) as this has not been my CL experience seen over the last 10 months since I first logged on. Welcome back.