ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 10:27 AM
JP47
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System

I traded in a 2020 Highlander Platinum for a 2024 ES 300h Ultra Luxury. When using the nav system in the Highlander, I would get warning about traffic congestion, I do not get those in the Lexus. Is there a way to turn those on?
Old 09-20-23, 12:42 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 518 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by JP47
I traded in a 2020 Highlander Platinum for a 2024 ES 300h Ultra Luxury. When using the nav system in the Highlander, I would get warning about traffic congestion, I do not get those in the Lexus. Is there a way to turn those on?
Since the 2024 version of the navigation owner's manual isn't yet available for download from the My Lexus Resources web site, page number references below are from the 2023 LEXUS ES250, ES300H, ES350 NAVIGATION AND MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL. (A comparison between a preliminary 2024 version and the 2023 version shows no significant changes in the 2024 version from the 2023 version. If you want a reference to the 2024 preliminary version and what the 2 minor differences were see my 2024 es discussion (merged threads) post #24.)

I don't have access to a 2023/2024 ES with the "new" Lexus Interface system to see how things really work so take the following as promising suggestions to investigate based upon reading the 2023/2024 pdf version manual.

On page 50, "Notifications settings" section, there's a "Navgation" notification setting "[Traffic alerts] that will "Turn the traffic information voice guidance on or off."

On page 109, "Map options screen" section, there's a "Traffic" toggle control:

🄰 Touch to turn the display of traffic information on/off. (→P.109)
and further on in the "Traffic Information" section:
Traffic information will be displayed on the map screen.
• Icons are used to indicate road conditions and incidents.
And on page 118, "Route guidance screen" section, there's:
​​​​​​​● If a faster route is found during route guidance, a suggestion to change routes will be displayed.
I don't know how the "new" Lexus Interface system makes the suggestion but with the prior to 2023 model year Dynamic Navigation system you got both a voice notification (if the option was turned on) as well as a text box pop-down suggesting choosing an alternate route and, I think, something about the reason for suggesting an alternate route.
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
GALexiGal (11-21-23)
Old 09-20-23, 05:09 PM
JP47
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you….All of the Navigation and Notification settings are turned on. Did not get any notice of a lane closure for construction and backed up traffic on Hwy 77 in Virginia yesterday.
Old 09-20-23, 06:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Thank you….All of the Navigation and Notification settings are turned on. Did not get any notice of a lane closure for construction and backed up traffic on Hwy 77 in Virginia yesterday.
The reason most folks use Waze or Google Maps instead of the native NAV.
The following users liked this post:
Moreygee (09-29-23)
Old 09-20-23, 09:47 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 518 Likes on 362 Posts

In digging through the 2022 and earlier model year navigation owner's manuals and the 2023 and later model years versions, it looks like there's some significant changes with the "new" Lexus Interface Drive Connect navigation software from the previous Lexus Multimedia System Dynamic Navigation software. The changes I've found are:

1. Data source: old system HD Radio broadcast and DCM (with an option control for just HD Radio broadcast) -- new system just DCM

2, Data types: old system weather and traffic data -- new system just traffic data

3. Data feed trigger/availability:
a. Old system continuous from "known" local HD Radio station broadcast with a traffic and/or weather data broadcast sub-channel
Data service information, which is comprised of traffic information and weather information, can be received via HD Radio broadcast or DCM (Data Communication Module). The receiving method can be set to both or only via HD Radio broadcast.
b. new system traffic data updates only when searching for a new destination; while progressing along an active route guidance; or when the vehicle enters a new area (unspecified what constitutes a new area) provided , of course, the DCM has a (cellular) network connection. From the (US) Lexus support article LEXUS INTERFACE DRIVE CONNECT CLOUD NAVIGATION:
How often does Drive Connect Cloud Navigation refresh my maps?

The map information will update the latest route and traffic details as you search for new destinations or as you progress along an active route guidance. It will also refresh as your vehicle enters new areas.
So, in short, with the "new" Lexus Interface Drive Connect navigation system it appears that in order to get continuous traffic information updates you most likely are going to need to have an active route guidance in progress.
Old 09-21-23, 05:43 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

When driving between cities in my RC350 during the last 9 years, I often used both the Lexus Nav and Waze at the same time. It was not unusual for their reports about traffic to differ. What each system tells you depends upon what it knows. The fact that you did not get a notification of a traffic problem does not mean that your warning system is not engaged, as it could well be that the problem had not yet found its way to the system.
My new ES has CarPlay and NAV, and I guess I can run both systems at the same time, although only one on the screen at a time. I am hoping that the voice prompts for both can be active at the same time.
We shall see.
Old 09-21-23, 06:27 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 152 Posts

You would think being connected to the cloud would give you accurate real time data especially since it is subscription based. I was told over 20 years ago with purchase of my LS430UL that Lexus nav was not there strong point and that has not changed. Just wait till it finally factors in that construction but has since cleared days earlier and routes you 10 miles out of the way. It will and has happened to me and if you can't trust it once you never can.