ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Rear Seat Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 06:25 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Seat Armrest

The North American ES's have rear armrests that are... boring. They get the job done but it feels like it was added as an afterthought.

Other markets have a different style rear armrest that I think fits better with the rest of the interior. What are the chances these armrests would fit a North American ES? Where can I find the part number and possibly order one from?

Old 10-11-23, 08:38 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Maybe n 2025. Here’s hoping!
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 05:17 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 324 Likes on 200 Posts

If you could get hold of one, I don't know why it wouldn't fit. The seat dimensions and pass through opening are probably the same as domestically made US models. The LS type fancy ones with the buttons are another story, but the version with the better (IMO as well) cup holder should be easy. I can only imagine the price from Lexus, however.
Old 10-12-23, 06:43 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 988 Likes on 742 Posts

I think it would fit but forget about the commands.
Old 10-12-23, 12:31 PM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been wanting the same thing. Based on my research, the price is extremely high - like over $1000.
Old 10-15-23, 12:22 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The reason why overseas markets get these "awesome" arm rests is because they're twice the price of what we pay in the States. But yes I would love that arm rest and control the audio and HVAC system.
Old 10-15-23, 12:34 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Not only that. The reason is the competition. It is very hard to sell the Lexus ES in Germany.
Old 10-15-23, 02:11 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 324 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
The reason why overseas markets get these "awesome" arm rests is because they're twice the price of what we pay in the States. But yes I would love that arm rest and control the audio and HVAC system.

I think the actual reason is the market segment and positioning. In many other markets the ES is a more executive class sedan, and the rear seat controls, like in the LS, allow the car to be chauffeur driven. That doesn’t happen here.
Old 10-15-23, 10:01 PM
Skynet
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Not only that. The reason is the competition. It is very hard to sell the Lexus ES in Germany.
I think is what you said + the higher tax rates resulting in a MUCH expensive vehicle.

I paid 80K (EUR) for my 2023 ES300h with all possible extras including the digital side mirrors (Luxury D-View)

My 2023 ES300h
Lesley248 (10-18-23)
Old 10-15-23, 10:14 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The problem with the armrest with controls is that many of the controls won't work. Heated rear seats with temp display, reclining rear seats, all gone. Maybe you could connect the rear and side sunshades. It would be frustratingly nonfunctional.

For our friends outside of north america, though, I'd love to know if the cupholders that stow away in that lever thing are any good. The rear cupholders in the ES are pretty good, but rather pedestrian.
Old 10-15-23, 10:51 PM
Skynet
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by minotaar
The problem with the armrest with controls is that many of the controls won't work. Heated rear seats with temp display, reclining rear seats, all gone. Maybe you could connect the rear and side sunshades. It would be frustratingly nonfunctional.

For our friends outside of north america, though, I'd love to know if the cupholders that stow away in that lever thing are any good. The rear cupholders in the ES are pretty good, but rather pedestrian.
Hi. If you observe the pictures and compare the rear seats with an Ultra Luxury without the rear "amenities" you will see that the shape of the seats and headrest are different so it has probably another totally different seat model and only the radio controls + rear sunshade would eventually work.

Regarding the "premium" rear cupholders, YES, they are quite functional.
Old 10-15-23, 11:44 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minotaar

Cupholders is the only thing that would work.
Old 10-17-23, 12:04 AM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by justim
The North American ES's have rear armrests that are... boring. They get the job done but it feels like it was added as an afterthought.

Other markets have a different style rear armrest that I think fits better with the rest of the interior. What are the chances these armrests would fit a North American ES? Where can I find the part number and possibly order one from?

I would love to have that but priced and available especially for my light cream color..
sec pic
Old 10-17-23, 08:59 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

The real reason we don't have it here in the US is nobody uses this ever so they make it as cheap as possible, this apply to all brands not just Lexus, unless it is the next level of Sedan, LS, 7-series, A8...

Everyone is right, in other markets, such as Middle East Asia, the ES's back seats have heated and cooled features, auto sunshade and audio controls, maybe seat massage too etc. because the owners probably have a driver, hence they make the center armrest with buttons. ES over there is already so expensive (b/c of taxes and Gov. fees) and sometimes considered a high luxury (same level of LS in the US), they also need to compete with other brands, so if one has a fancy armrest, others will follow... You may ask why they don't go ahead and get the LS then, very few do, because the LS other there will be at the price point of the RR here in the US, so people with that kind of money, unless they love Lexus to death, they will get a RR, Maybach or Bentley...

Last edited by july1988; 10-17-23 at 09:03 AM.
ATL350 (10-17-23)
Old 07-03-24, 10:06 PM
Stanielator97
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress?

Hello!
I'm doing some research on my own as I want to get an upgrade to a Lexus ES. Came across your thread about the armrest which led me down a pretty big rabbit hole but I think I got some answers. The complete diagrams of the rear seats and part numbers from this Japanese auto parts website are included. The fourth picture is the one needed for our conversation (though the topic of the other rear "executive" features did pop up and are included in the diagram as the "separate" seating in the 4:2:4 seat ratio), looks like if you want to do the conversion, you need 72830 (check coloring) and 72806b. Now unfortunately I have yet to come up blank with how to remove the old one and install the new one also its at least $660 dollars and that's before taxes and shipping fees from japan. If you have any new information regarding how to take the old ones out do let me know, because despite how useless this swap would be for most people, I carry a people in my rear seats often and when I make the upgrade to the ES I'd like to give them an upgrade (and also have bragging rights with other ES owners!

https://yoshiparts.com/parts/car/lex..._108?ref=72830

Last edited by Stanielator97; 07-03-24 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Armrest