ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Well, I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 10:47 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Gas cars are selling here and there are hardly any on the lots. Toyota Bmw and the like. All the incoming inventory are presold so gas cars have not slowed down yet.
Old 10-23-23, 11:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Model Y is world's best selling car, so if people do buy a car, it tends to be Model Y. The amounts of Model Y units they're moving around the globe is staggering. When I got my car it was like a conveyor belt of Ys. Pick up by appointment only. People who waited for prices to go down further were disappointed when Tesla raised prices yesterday a few thousand on some models. Sticker on my car was $71k. I got it at around $61k. Similarly optioned today, it goes for around $55,500. Tesla prices will fluctuate dependent on inventory build up.

Tesla is controlling the market generally though by lowering prices. They make double or triple the profit of the most profitable cars out there while EVs of legacy makes lose money already. So when tesla drives the prices down, it makes regular auto makers bleed even more. basically they can afford to take a hit on profit and still be wildly profitable. they have leverage.
Old 10-23-23, 11:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Gas cars are selling here and there are hardly any on the lots. Toyota Bmw and the like. All the incoming inventory are presold so gas cars have not slowed down yet.
The various dealers near me have loads of inventory - Lexus, Acura etc. although my daughter wanted a specific X5 and had trouble finding it but the dealer eventually did a swap for her. EVs - I don't know since I don't pay much attention to that.
Old 10-23-23, 11:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by july1988
This is the way $18,000 to drive and enjoy a new experience for 2 years w/o worrying for anything is not bad, makes much more sense than if purchasing this car.

If you "buy" this car, it will depreciate at least 20% right out of the door LOL and after 1 year, probably 33.33+%, that if you sell in a fair market, if sell/trade to a dealer add 15% more to the depreciation.

All EVs are selling 25% - 33% off from MSRP and still can't sell after Tesla cutting their price down almost 20%+ for all models. Is everyone going back to gas, no, market is just slowing down overall, gas cars can't sell either. We are moving forward to the future, it's EV.
Very true as long as you're willing to drop $750/month for the drive. For the right price, there's not a care in the world.
Old 10-23-23, 01:04 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

I understand this move. Spectacular deal on an exciting and modern car. I'm happy for you and and I wish you total enjoyment. You've been a great asset to this board – don't be a stranger!
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 09:36 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I understand this move. Spectacular deal on an exciting and modern car. I'm happy for you and and I wish you total enjoyment. You've been a great asset to this board – don't be a stranger!
Much appreciation to you as well. And don't worry, I plan to stick around if for no other reason than to find a way to poke fun at myself for how much I love this car more than my "mediocre" Lexus! J/K

As I sit behind the wheel of my new car, I can't help but feel a sense of excitement and anticipation. The light show that illuminates the interior never fails to bring a grin to my face, and each time I discover a new element that I hadn't noticed before, my enthusiasm and energy levels skyrocket. I can confidently say that I have never felt this kind of thrill about a car before.

As we age, our priorities tend to change, and the same goes for drivers as they gain experience over time. This evolution in priorities leads to new needs and wants when selecting a vehicle that best suits them. Often, this selection is limited by what their pocketbook can afford. While driving anything on four wheels might have been enough when they were young, now they seek a safe, reliable and cost-effective car to ensure a smooth and worry-free journey. With experience, the focus shifts towards finding a vehicle that not only meets their basic requirements but is also built to last. The need for speed fades away, and comfort becomes a top priority.

Thanks to the latest advances in automotive technology, people are now seeking out the most innovative and luxurious features to add to their rides, even if they are not entirely necessary. It's fascinating to see how much the perception of driving can change over time, and how our priorities evolve as we age.

I can feel the exhilaration building up inside of me as I take the wheel. The sound system is simply the best I've ever encountered, and I've tried a lot of them. While I thought the ML was impressive, I can confidently say that the Burmester in the Benz is absolutely jaw-dropping. Each time I press the accelerator, I get pushed back into my seat and can't help but grin from ear to ear. The instantaneous acceleration is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

Even though it's not the fastest EV on the market, with 355 HP, it packs a punch that pins me back each and every time. Initially, I was apprehensive about the idea of one-pedal driving. However, I have found it to be quite intriguing and not as peculiar as I had anticipated. I grappled with the concern of range anxiety, but after carefully evaluating my typical driving habits over the years, particularly for day-to-day use, I realized that there was no need to worry. And in the unlikely event that I do run low on power, I can always rely on roadside assistance to provide a quick charge.

I must admit, I have become a fervent EV enthusiast, but I don't want to bore anyone with my exuberance for my fantastic new car, so I'll wrap up my ode to it now.
GS350Miami (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 06:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Congrats on the new EV!

I may have missed this, but how did you manage to make $3,300 on your '22 ES? Didn't you have a 3 year lease that you were a little over half way through? You said you paid $47k for it back in '22, so at face value someone would have needed to pay you over $50k for your used ES. I see used UL's with 2k miles being sold for around $45k. Then there's the $700/mo payments. What happened to them?

It seems like you got a screaming deal on the Merc, but it would help if you included the rest of the details on your old Lexus.
Old 10-24-23, 06:50 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Congrats on the new EV!

I may have missed this, but how did you manage to make $3,300 on your '22 ES? Didn't you have a 3 year lease that you were a little over half way through? You said you paid $47k for it back in '22, so at face value someone would have needed to pay you over $50k for your used ES. I see used UL's with 2k miles being sold for around $45k. Then there's the $700/mo payments. What happened to them?

It seems like you got a screaming deal on the Merc, but it would help if you included the rest of the details on your old Lexus.
Yes a 36 month lease that started Jan. 2022 and ended on Saturday.
The payoff amount of $36892 represents the 12 remaining monthly payments and the residual amount of the lease.

MSRP $56k
SP $47k
Pay Off on Saturday $36,892
Cash offer $40,100
$3238 equity.
Mileage at time of sale. 18k

The sale of my Lexus did not benefit my deal on the MB. In fact, I haven't received the check yet.

It was the screaming deal on the 22 UL that allowed for the equity. In fact, I have yet to lose money on a lease, ever. I have previously mentioned, and I'll reiterate it now, that I have been able to pay less in 10 years than what most people pay in 5 years for an auto loan. The example auto loan is based on a $55k average loan.
Does that help?

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-24-23 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-24-23, 06:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
MSRP $56k
SP $47k
Pay Off on Saturday $36,892
Cash offer $40,100
$3238 equity.
Mileage at time of sale. 18k

It was the screaming deal on the 22 UL that allowed for the equity. In fact, I have yet to lose money on a lease, ever. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I can and have paid less in 10 years than most pay in 5 years on auto loans. That's on a $55k auto loan example.
Does that help?
Weren't you still responsible for the remaining lease payments? That should be around $10k if my math is correct.
Old 10-24-23, 07:14 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Weren't you still responsible for the remaining lease payments? That should be around $10k if my math is correct.
The payoff is $37,000. This includes those payments. The dealership offered him $40,000.

$40,000 - $37,000 = +$3,000
UltraLux22 (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 07:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by signdetres
The payoff is $37,000. This includes those payments. The dealership offered him $40,000.

$40,000 - $37,000 = +$3,000
So his original residual was only ~$27k? That seems really low on a $58k Lexus. Especially in 2022 when they were discouraging people from doing 3rd party buyouts.
Old 10-24-23, 07:28 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

You are correct, well, actually, it's like $9,900ish, but close enough. It doesn't matter how many payments are left on the lease. What matters is the payoff amount, which in this case would be the residual of approximately $27k and the remainder of my payments as of Saturday, which was approximately $9,900. This equals around $36,892. The residual amount is the amount that is owed at the end of the lease. It's not a requirement from Lexus to meet the full commitment of the lease before buying or selling. What matters is the payoff amount of the lease contract. So, the MSRP was $56k. The total of my payments would be $701 x 36 = $25,236. The residual is the amount leftover after all payments would have been made if I had fulfilled the full term.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-24-23 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-24-23, 07:38 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

So his original residual was only ~$27k? That seems really low on a $58k Lexus. Especially in 2022 when they were discouraging people from doing 3rd party buyouts.
Add a few hundred in for taxes. For simplicity's sake, I tried to keep most numbers even so as not to become too complicated. It was a 55k-ish MSRP. Residual was approximately $27,6k ish. But ultimately, still close. I mean, you all should know better than to doubt me.😉
Several members of this forum have seen every one of my contracts and can vouch for my credibility, not that I'm concerned about being believed or not. I won't reference anything unless I have receipts to back it up.
And I keep meticulous records!

The proof is in the pudding!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-24-23 at 07:52 AM.
scubapr (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 08:13 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Mixed feelings here regarding your post. Not that you asked, but figured I'd share.

Love the bells and whistles on the new sled! Glad you're excited. Interested to know what you're doing with your lease and new deal. Looking forward to hearing of your experience with EVs. Not comfortable having a lifetime of $700+ payments. Interested in your future feedback across the ES forums on ES topics. Definitely not interested in hearing about how much better OR worse the Mercedes EV is compared to Lexus' ES ICE or Hybrid!

With that being said, enjoy that new ride.
scubapr (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 08:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Mixed feelings here regarding your post. Not that you asked, but figured I'd share.

Love the bells and whistles on the new sled! Glad you're excited. Interested to know what you're doing with your lease and new deal. Looking forward to hearing of your experience with EVs. Not comfortable having a lifetime of $700+ payments. Interested in your future feedback across the ES forums on ES topics. Definitely not interested in hearing about how much better OR worse the Mercedes EV is compared to Lexus' ES ICE or Hybrid!

With that being said, enjoy that new ride.
He's clearly not bothered by the $750/month as some of us would be. There are two types of lessees - those that can't afford to purchase the car and those that can afford it and don't want the hassle of maintaining, and then want something new every few years.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikemu30:
GS350Miami (10-25-23), MAMOSKO (10-24-23), scubapr (10-24-23), signdetres (10-24-23)

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it!