ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Well, I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23 | 05:21 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
Oh, don't get ahead of yourself"I never said that! My first experience at a charging station was enlightening and frustrating. I couldn't understand why my charging speed showed hours instead of 30 minutes. This was from 10% to 80%. It turned out that the 350 kW chargers were only registering at 39 kW. I tried 8 of them, and the remaining customers tried the others. All were slow as SH&T, and other people tried other chargers as well. Apparently, this issue is common there. I'll be glad when my home charging gets installed in a few days. I won't have to travel an hour round trip and spend 3 hours."
You will be lucky to find a (non-broken) charger that does > 60KW
I heard next year Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge, it will be a game changer, Tesla supercharge are always working at least 150Kw+ ???
Old 10-27-23 | 05:42 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988
You will be lucky to find a (non-broken) charger that does > 60KW
I heard next year Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge, it will be a game changer, Tesla supercharge are always working at least 150Kw+ ???
Ha!
I heard that as well. By then I'm sure they will have all the kinks ironed out!😵
Old 10-31-23 | 06:42 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

How does the ride quality compare between eqs and ultralux es? Give me specifics! Quieter? Smoother? How is the lean in, the squat?
The following 2 users liked this post by minotaar:
july1988 (10-31-23), signdetres (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23 | 09:56 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by minotaar
How does the ride quality compare between eqs and ultralux es? Give me specifics! Quieter? Smoother? How is the lean in, the squat?
It is worth noting that while comparing two automobiles of different price ranges may be considered an unfair juxtaposition, it is still a valid argument that is open for debate. For context, I have had the pleasure of operating two UL models since 2019, and I had been in negotiations for a considerable period of seven months to acquire an EQS. Finally, the stars aligned, and I was able to acquire my new EQS, consequently selling my ES 350.

In order to offer a comparison, we are discussing two cars that differ in price by a factor of two. Is the EQS quieter than the ES 350? I am inclined to believe so. However, I must confess that I had anticipated the ES to be even quieter than it was, and the same can be said for the EQS. The issue with the electric vehicle is that it is devoid of an engine that adds the expected sound levels. Consequently, it is plausible that the perception of noise levels is less muted than one would expect, but I attribute this to the essence of it being an EV. Ambient noise is employed to simulate acceleration and deceleration, adding to the vehicle's intrigue, at least in my experience. It is undoubtedly the smoothest most comfortable ride I have ever had, which I attribute to it being an electric vehicle and a $112k MB that is the electric equivalent of an S-Class. The acceleration is such that it always brings a smile to my face, and I rarely use the word "always." The primary reason for this is that it is an EV. The ride is even smoother, and it handles road imperfections even better than the Lexus.

The ES was firmer than I had anticipated, but I eventually got used to it, and it always felt composed. The EQS elevates composure and adds the cushion that many would argue is lost in many luxury cars these days. It is not sporty, but then again, I never felt like the ES was sporty either. However, I would venture to say that it is nimble, or as nimble as a nearly 6000lb car can be. In comparison, the ES weighs a mere 3700lbs. This is a substantial vehicle, but it drives much more nimbly than one would expect from a car of this size. Thanks to the 10 deg. rear axle steering, maneuverability is noticeably better. The turning circle for the Benz is 35.8 ft, compared to 38 ft for the ES, which is incredibly useful when executing U-turns and navigating parking spots.

The adaptive and self-leveling 4-wheel multilink, equipped with AIRMATIC air suspension, can adapt to different driving conditions thanks to its specially designed components. These components are engineered to provide a swift response while keeping the weight of the system light. They also help in balancing out the additional weight of cargo or passengers. Moreover, the system can lower the ride height at higher speeds to improve aerodynamics, stability, and overall efficiency. Electromechanical power steering provides advanced electromechanical power steering that delivers quicker response in corners easier maneuvering at low speeds, along with precise on-center feel and straight-line stability. When making aggressive maneuvers or quick, sharp turns, I felt extremely confident. That being said, it becomes apparent pretty quickly that it is a big ***** of a car when applying the brakes, but it still comes to a stop rather quickly. In conclusion, it is very well-balanced!

Another great aspect is the audio system, which truly stands out and provides an exceptional experience, surpassing any other I've ever heard by a significant margin. The level of personalization available is incredible, allowing you to achieve the perfect soundstage and acoustic balance that suits your preferences. In my experience, the Burmester audio system outperforms the Mark Levinson system and exceeded my expectations by a considerable margin. Although I have been a proponent of the Mark Levinson system for a long time, I found the EQS Burmester system to be significantly superior to the Lexus audio system.

After much contemplation, I've arrived at a conclusion to my previous conclusion - this car has won me over! It's got me wrapped around its wheels with its sleek design and top-notch performance.
The following 5 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
BBQapple (10-31-23), GS350Miami (11-01-23), july1988 (11-01-23), signdetres (10-31-23), TechNut (11-01-23)
Old 10-31-23 | 10:05 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

That's fantastic, thank you.
The rear steer must certainly help with those U-turns and such. How is the body lean? Does the car dive when you come to a hard stop?
Old 11-01-23 | 12:17 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by minotaar
That's fantastic, thank you.
The rear steer must certainly help with those U-turns and such. How is the body lean? Does the car dive when you come to a hard stop?
The Mercedes-Benz's rear steer is not just a flashy feature; it's actually quite helpful and significantly enhances maneuverability by allowing for tighter turns. Even in situations like U-turns, the car performs exceptionally well by allowing for a near-perfect "U" into the closest left lane of a two-lane road. The Airmatic adaptive self-leveling suspension is another standout feature that improves the lean and stability of the vehicle. I read an article discussing how the system was designed to reduce nose-dive during hard braking, but I couldn't locate it to reference here. I did put it to the test, and it did indeed successfully minimize the amount of dip. The suspension system also does an excellent job of minimizing bouncing when driving over speed bumps. Each axle has self-leveling so the lean is minimized as well. "Looks like you won't have to worry about your coffee spilling anymore, even if you hit the brakes hard. Cheers to a spill-free ride!"

While there are many positives to the car, there are a few negatives as well. The rear seats, although they will only ever carry backpacks and groceries, sit too high and minimize headroom. The augmented reality navigation is cool, but the surround-view camera system, while comprehensive, clear, and adjustable, doesn't allow for auto viewing when slowing down to a certain speed. This means that it has to be activated manually each time you need it, which can be distracting. Additionally, some of the features can be overwhelming and distracting until you get used to them. However, the customization levels are off the charts and welcome. The seats are firm yet very supportive and comfortable, featuring massage functions and seat heaters that will light your *** on fire in no time! You can also run the seat cooling ventilation and seat heaters simultaneously. The cargo space is also impressive, thanks to the liftback design that provides ample room for luggage and other items. It was amusing when I was at the charging station for the first time; the EV enthusiasts were all taking turns guessing how many bodies could fit in the cargo/trunk area. We all settled on 4.5, which was a bit morbid but still a fun time! Another remarkable feature is the ability to have the navigation screen similarly mirrored on the multi-informational display. Who doesn't love a wireless charger that's only functional if you remove your phone case? Just like the Lexus, it's complete SH$$. And let's not forget about the oversized tablet center console screen that collects more fingerprints than a crime scene. It's the perfect recipe for developing a complex and driving you insane!

There are three powertrain soundtracks to choose from, and in my case, I opted for the Silver Waves. In addition, the dashboard of this vehicle offers a range of lighting options thanks to the LED strip located at the top. When you step on the accelerator, the lights turn red and emit a deep, bassy sound, mimicking the electric motor's performance in a surprisingly accurate manner. The resulting effect is a perfectly synchronized symphony of light and sound, making your driving experience all the more enjoyable. I found it all great fun and futuristic. An odd but legally required feature is the

The EQS has a unique feature that syncs sound profiles with the way you drive. These profiles don't mimic the sound of a gas engine, but instead, create a unique ambiance that enhances the driving experience. The car has two driving modes - Silver Flux and Vivid Flux. Silver Flux produces a low hum when accelerating, while harp-like noises are heard when the throttle is released. On the other hand, Vivid Flux is more aggressive, making the car sound like a star car from an action movie. This feature adds a futuristic appeal to the car and makes the driving experience even more enjoyable.

The DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist is a highly convenient feature that not only regulates your speed and distance, but also ensures your safety by monitoring the road lines, limits, and other vehicles in your vicinity. With this feature, you don't have to worry about exiting your lane or merging into an occupied space as it will step in to help keep you centered. Although it can be unnerving when coming to a stop if you aren't used to it, the feature is still a great addition to the car.

In addition to the DISTRONIC PLUS feature, the ambient lighting system is also customizable and very well done. It adds a nice touch to the car's interior, showing in the vents, seat trim, door trim, dash, and back seats. However, it can also be distracting at times.

The design of the car is also noteworthy, with its "Sensual Purity" moniker and some liken it to a jelly bean or a blob. Polarizing looks notwithstanding, according to MB, it's officially the world's most aero-efficient car, with a 0.20 drag efficiency that makes it the world's most aerodynamic car. All these features combined make for a cohesive and impressive driving experience.

If all this wasn't impressive enough, I am doubly enjoying the fact that I'm paying only a few dollars more per month than I was for my 22 ES 350 Ultra Lux. I lease my vehicles and negotiated a Mercedes-Benz EQS with an MSRP of $112,295 for nearly the same price I was paying for my $56k Lexus ES 350 Ultra Lux. This makes everything much sweeter!
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
july1988 (11-01-23), LS500Fan (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 12:23 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Here are some unique and impressive features straight from the MB website:

DISTRONIC PLUS® is an adaptive cruise control technology from Mercedes-Benz. The feature uses built-in radar to bring you up to speed, brake as necessary, and maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you. Compared to a standard cruise control system, DISTRONIC® technology allows for a smoother, simpler touring experience on the highways

DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist offers even more advanced convenience. In addition to controlling your speed and follow-distance, this technology keeps track of road lines and limits, along with other vehicles in your periphery. If you start to exit your lane by accident, or try to merge into an occupied space, the feature will intervene to keep you centered.

AIRMATIC suspension
For a balanced, comfortable ride, the AIRMATIC® semi-active suspension employs electronically controlled air springs that adjust to changing driving conditions. Components are engineered to offer quick response with light system weight. AIRMATIC's automatic 4-wheel level control helps compensate for additional cargo or passengers. It can also lower the ride height at higher speeds for improved aerodynamics, stability and efficiency.

Adaptive Damping System Plus (ADS Plus)
Incorporated into the AIRMATIC air suspension, ADS continually optimizes ride and handling by automatically selecting one of four damping profiles for each spring-strut every time a wheel changes its direction of up-down travel. Driver-selectable Comfort and Sport modes allow you tailor handling response and ride firmness to your present driving style.

10-degree rear axle steering
For enhanced agility, stability and maneuverability, electromechanical actuators can steer the rear wheels up to 10 degrees based on driving speed and dynamics. Above 37 mph, the rear wheels can steer up to 3 degrees in either direction, to boost rear-wheel grip, cornering response, and control in evasive moves. At lower speeds and when parking, steering up to 10 degrees opposite the front wheels can cut the turning circle by close to 40 inches, for compact-car maneuverability in a large and spacious sedan.

LED DIGITAL LIGHT headlamps w/lightband
Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps can generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Along with Active Curve Illumination and Ultra Wide Highbeams, DIGITAL LIGHT technology can project visual alerts into the driver's view. A variety of icons can appear on the illuminated roadway, to help alert you to vehicles in your blind spot, pedestrians, or lane drift.

Crosswind Assist
Interpreting information that is continually supplied by the car's Electronic Stability Program (ESP®), electric power steering and suspension sensors, Crosswind Assist can help detect the effects of strong side winds on the vehicle's handling stability at highway speeds. Whether caused by lateral gusts or even a passing truck, the system can help keep the car on course via strategic braking of the wheels on one side of the vehicle.

Active Speed Limit Assist
Active Speed Limit Assist can detect posted speed-limit signs and, along with information in the navigation system's map database, automatically adapt your cruising speed accordingly. As you first engage DISTRONIC on a drive, the system can also set your cruising speed to match the posted speed with just a single tap of the cruise-control lever.

PRE-SAFE
A Mercedes-Benz first, PRE-SAFE® can detect instability during certain vehicle maneuvers that suggest a collision or rollover is imminent. It can then tighten the front seat belts, adjust the front passenger seat, and close the windows and sunroof, all in an effort to better prepare the occupants and restraints in the moments before a collision. If no accident occurs, the seat-belt tensioners reverse, and you simply readjust your seat, open the sunroof and continue on your way.

PRE-SAFE PLUS
An enhancement to the groundbreaking PRE-SAFE® system can help protect the occupants in a rear-end collision. A radar sensor in the rear bumper can help detect an impending impact, and engage the reversible seat-belt tensioners of PRE-SAFE to better prepare the front-seat occupants and their restraint systems. It can also firmly apply and hold the brakes if the vehicle is stationary, to help reduce peak loads on all occupants as well as the risk of a secondary collision.

PRE-SAFE Impulse Side
In a side collision, where the helpful effect of front and rear crumple zones cannot be applied, PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side is a pioneering system that helps provide a reduction in peak forces. When the system's dedicated radar sensors detect an impending side impact, a chamber in the front-seat side bolster nearest the door rapidly inflates, to help move the occupant further from the door while also helping reduce the relative speed between the car's side structure and occupant's torso.

PARKTRONIC with Active Parking Assist
Active Parking Assist can search for suitable parallel or perpendicular parking spaces to either side as you drive by. Choose a space to pull or back into, and it can expertly shift, steer and brake for you. When it's time to leave, it can also steer you back out. In any low-speed maneuver, PARKTRONIC sensors in the front and rear bumpers help detect nearby objects within their field of view. Audible signals and illuminated displays in the cabin help you navigate tight spaces with confidence.
The following users liked this post:
july1988 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 12:30 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

😍😍😍 It's my thread, and I'll gush if I want to, gush if I want to! You would gush too if an EQS happened to you! 😍😍😍
F3Woody (11-01-23), LexFinally (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 08:36 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Great info. Are you happened to be an English professor/teacher or a journalist sir , one thing I know is that you can write LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by july1988:
F3Woody (11-01-23), UltraLux22 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 11:07 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988
Great info. Are you happened to be an English professor/teacher or a journalist sir , one thing I know is that you can write LOL
No! But if you hum a few bars I can fake it!😳

Thanks for the kind words!😎
Old 11-01-23 | 11:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

😍😍😍 It's my thread, and I'll gush if I want to, gush if I want to! You would gush too if an EQS happened to you! 😍😍😍
Do I sense a Leslie Gore tune in your reply?
Old 11-01-23 | 12:02 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Do I sense a Leslie Gore tune in your reply?
You were probably humming it when you wrote this, just like me.
😁😁😁
Old 11-02-23 | 07:24 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Here are some unique and impressive features straight from the MB website:

DISTRONIC PLUS® is an adaptive cruise control technology from Mercedes-Benz. The feature uses built-in radar to bring you up to speed, brake as necessary, and maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you. Compared to a standard cruise control system, DISTRONIC® technology allows for a smoother, simpler touring experience on the highways

DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist offers even more advanced convenience. In addition to controlling your speed and follow-distance, this technology keeps track of road lines and limits, along with other vehicles in your periphery. If you start to exit your lane by accident, or try to merge into an occupied space, the feature will intervene to keep you centered.

AIRMATIC suspension
For a balanced, comfortable ride, the AIRMATIC® semi-active suspension employs electronically controlled air springs that adjust to changing driving conditions. Components are engineered to offer quick response with light system weight. AIRMATIC's automatic 4-wheel level control helps compensate for additional cargo or passengers. It can also lower the ride height at higher speeds for improved aerodynamics, stability and efficiency.

Adaptive Damping System Plus (ADS Plus)
Incorporated into the AIRMATIC air suspension, ADS continually optimizes ride and handling by automatically selecting one of four damping profiles for each spring-strut every time a wheel changes its direction of up-down travel. Driver-selectable Comfort and Sport modes allow you tailor handling response and ride firmness to your present driving style.

10-degree rear axle steering
For enhanced agility, stability and maneuverability, electromechanical actuators can steer the rear wheels up to 10 degrees based on driving speed and dynamics. Above 37 mph, the rear wheels can steer up to 3 degrees in either direction, to boost rear-wheel grip, cornering response, and control in evasive moves. At lower speeds and when parking, steering up to 10 degrees opposite the front wheels can cut the turning circle by close to 40 inches, for compact-car maneuverability in a large and spacious sedan.

LED DIGITAL LIGHT headlamps w/lightband
Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps can generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Along with Active Curve Illumination and Ultra Wide Highbeams, DIGITAL LIGHT technology can project visual alerts into the driver's view. A variety of icons can appear on the illuminated roadway, to help alert you to vehicles in your blind spot, pedestrians, or lane drift.

Crosswind Assist
Interpreting information that is continually supplied by the car's Electronic Stability Program (ESP®), electric power steering and suspension sensors, Crosswind Assist can help detect the effects of strong side winds on the vehicle's handling stability at highway speeds. Whether caused by lateral gusts or even a passing truck, the system can help keep the car on course via strategic braking of the wheels on one side of the vehicle.

Active Speed Limit Assist
Active Speed Limit Assist can detect posted speed-limit signs and, along with information in the navigation system's map database, automatically adapt your cruising speed accordingly. As you first engage DISTRONIC on a drive, the system can also set your cruising speed to match the posted speed with just a single tap of the cruise-control lever.

PRE-SAFE
A Mercedes-Benz first, PRE-SAFE® can detect instability during certain vehicle maneuvers that suggest a collision or rollover is imminent. It can then tighten the front seat belts, adjust the front passenger seat, and close the windows and sunroof, all in an effort to better prepare the occupants and restraints in the moments before a collision. If no accident occurs, the seat-belt tensioners reverse, and you simply readjust your seat, open the sunroof and continue on your way.

PRE-SAFE PLUS
An enhancement to the groundbreaking PRE-SAFE® system can help protect the occupants in a rear-end collision. A radar sensor in the rear bumper can help detect an impending impact, and engage the reversible seat-belt tensioners of PRE-SAFE to better prepare the front-seat occupants and their restraint systems. It can also firmly apply and hold the brakes if the vehicle is stationary, to help reduce peak loads on all occupants as well as the risk of a secondary collision.

PRE-SAFE Impulse Side
In a side collision, where the helpful effect of front and rear crumple zones cannot be applied, PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side is a pioneering system that helps provide a reduction in peak forces. When the system's dedicated radar sensors detect an impending side impact, a chamber in the front-seat side bolster nearest the door rapidly inflates, to help move the occupant further from the door while also helping reduce the relative speed between the car's side structure and occupant's torso.

PARKTRONIC with Active Parking Assist
Active Parking Assist can search for suitable parallel or perpendicular parking spaces to either side as you drive by. Choose a space to pull or back into, and it can expertly shift, steer and brake for you. When it's time to leave, it can also steer you back out. In any low-speed maneuver, PARKTRONIC sensors in the front and rear bumpers help detect nearby objects within their field of view. Audible signals and illuminated displays in the cabin help you navigate tight spaces with confidence.
Why do you think the EQS is selling for such a deep discount? I've never seen a new car sell for anything near that kind of discount.
Old 11-02-23 | 09:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Why do you think the EQS is selling for such a deep discount? I've never seen a new car sell for anything near that kind of discount.
Hmmm - perhaps supply and demand?
Old 11-02-23 | 11:14 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I'm just that good! 😁 As an experienced, shrewd negotiator, I take pride in my ability to secure exceptional deals on vehicles that seem to allude others. My success is not the result of chance but rather the outcome of a meticulous and time-consuming process that involves cultivating relationships with dealers and conducting thorough market research.

In my recent deal, I was able to leverage my expertise to secure discounts that are typically difficult to obtain. Through carefully analyzing the market and the dealers' pricing strategies, I have developed effective strategies that allow me to achieve favorable outcomes.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, when the supply of LEXUS vehicles was limited, I got a 22 ES 350 Ultra Lux for $47k, with an MSRP of $56k, while most people were paying MSRP or ADMs. This deal was not a one-off occurrence but a reflection of my consistent ability to obtain deals not typically available in the market.
If you have come across some of my earlier posts, you may have noticed that this is not a one-time occurrence but rather a reflection of the deals that I typically obtain. I always prioritize transparency and share my actual figures and contracts so that I can help others secure deals that they may not have been able to achieve otherwise. My ultimate goal is to leverage my expertise to assist others in making informed decisions and securing the best possible deals.

The EQS is an exceptional car; it's simply amazing. However, due to its luxury EV status and recent release, many people hesitate to invest, especially considering its high price point. Its depreciation is also relatively high, and there are discounts, but it's unrealistic to expect the level I received. A lot of Mercedes-Benz buyers seem to be hesitant to deal with the inconvenience of charging their vehicles, especially those snowbirds who frequently travel from up north to Florida. In my experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz buyers, many are not interested in transitioning to new, foreign technology.
Additionally, the vehicle's aesthetics are polarizing, not only within the Mercedes-Benz community but also in general. While I find its appearance appealing, others may not feel the same. It's worth mentioning that while some have achieved great results with the EQS, it's not a common occurrence. In my case, it took me around seven months of preparation to secure a deal similar to the one I received. That's it in a nutshell.
GS350Miami (11-03-23), signdetres (11-02-23)

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it!