Well, I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 11:17 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Hmmm - perhaps supply and demand?
There are currently discounts available due to low demand, but achieving this level of affordability may still be challenging. While it may sound like boasting, the reality is that few will be able to attain this level. I take pride in my hard work to achieve it, as it certainly did not come easily.
Old 11-02-23, 03:04 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Hmmm - perhaps supply and demand?
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
The EQS is an exceptional car; it's simply amazing.
We know you're enamored with it. My question is why isn't anyone else?

...due to its luxury EV status and recent release, many people hesitate to invest, especially considering its high price point. Its depreciation is also relatively high, and there are discounts, but it's unrealistic to expect the level I received. A lot of Mercedes-Benz buyers seem to be hesitant to deal with the inconvenience of charging their vehicles, especially those snowbirds who frequently travel from up north to Florida. In my experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz buyers, many are not interested in transitioning to new, foreign technology.
Additionally, the vehicle's aesthetics are polarizing, not only within the Mercedes-Benz community but also in general. While I find its appearance appealing, others may not feel the same.
That's the answer I was looking for. But I suspect there's more to it than that.
Old 11-02-23, 03:14 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

That's the answer I was looking for. But I suspect there's more to it than that.
There’s always more! As a mere mortal, there’s only so much that I could postulate to.
The bottom line is, I don’t care. I’m gonna enjoy it for two years then move on to the next.
Old 11-03-23, 04:02 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Some reviewers complain the brake pedal feels unnerving/disquieting/anxiety-provoking. What's that about?
Old 11-03-23, 06:52 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Some reviewers complain the brake pedal feels unnerving/disquieting/anxiety-provoking. What's that about?
Reportedly the pedal is engineered so it doesn't always take up at the same point in its travel.
Old 11-03-23, 07:09 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

We have an EQS SUV and really enjoy it. I'm already planning on getting another one when the current lease is up. It's an excellent vehicle and an excellent EV. It is so comfortable, so quiet, so capable, and offers a really phenomenal driving experience. It's the best car I've ever owned. Frankly, I'm glad no one else likes it as that will mean more awesome lease specials for me.

Last edited by signdetres; 11-03-23 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-03-23, 07:10 AM
signdetres
Racer

It's how it's tuned because of how they blended regen brakes with friction brakes. It essentially just has a very long pedal travel that doesn't inspire confidence, but the brakes themselves are fantastic. The EQS SUV is 6200 pounds without a driver and stops from 60 mph in 111 feet. For comparison, the ES 350 is under 3700 pounds and stops from 60 mph in 119 feet if you have the Luxury model and 114 feet with the F-Sport.

However, this is no longer an issue anymore. Mercedes has updated this for 2024 models. They have an all-new braking system to make them feel more normal. From what I've read on Mercedes forums, apparently someone with an older car was able to take it to the dealership and get it updated. They reported a huge improvement in brake pedal feel and behavior. So luckily Mercedes is very receptive to customer complaints and deals with it appropriately.

Last edited by signdetres; 11-03-23 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-03-23, 07:20 AM
signdetres
Racer

To add to this, I think the styling is a turn off for a lot of people. A lot of high-end buyers are ego driven and want a car with more exotic styling at these prices. "If I'm paying $120,000 for this, I want it to look like it's $120,000"

I think the price scares a lot of people away as well. How many people do you know that are both looking for an EV and looking for a vehicle that starts at over $100,000 and gets close to $200,000? (A fully loaded EQS 580 is about $145,000. The Maybach starts in the $170,000 range)

Now let's add in current interest rates...

Now add in the fact that the majority of car shoppers out there DONT spend all their time on car forums or car websites and have NO IDEA that you can actually get one of these vehicles for a steal.

There are LOTS of factors in this complicated equation.
Old 11-03-23, 08:01 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

For me, aside from the blistering instant acceleration with no lag, and a lack of engine response noise, the braking system was likely the next experience I found out of the ordinary. Allow me to preface my point by saying that there have been very few instances where I haven't felt some level of anxiety when getting behind the wheel of a new or different car. It's a normal feeling when you consider that you're at a disadvantage since you don't know how the vehicle will respond or behave, as you are more accustomed to your own personal vehicle. I think this plays a role, particularly at first, in how we perceive a new feature or function, especially when it comes to the way the brakes operate, feel, and function. The concerns being expressed are referring in part to the regenerative braking system, which affects the pedal feel and the distance needed for your foot to fully depress the brake. From what I've heard from others, the EQS braking system appears to be more pronounced than other EVs. However, since I have only driven this car, I cannot compare it to other systems. The first time you experience the brakes, it can feel very unusual and unfamiliar.

All electric vehicles have regenerative braking. In an ICE vehicle, the engine assists to some degree with deceleration. So, if you were driving at 60mph and dropped the transmission down a gear, that is similar to what the regenerative braking feels like when you release the accelerator on an EV. The strength of the recuperation level, of which there are four on the EQS - strong, normal, intelligent, and none - affects how the car will behave or feel.

To give you an idea of how the car will feel, imagine you are traveling down the road at 60 miles an hour and then you put the transmission into neutral, of course letting off the accelerator. This would be the sensation you would feel when no recuperation is selected. It's the sensation of coasting, just like you would feel in neutral in an ICE car. Put the gear selector back into drive and you'll feel the equivalent sensation of being in regular drive in your car. This is referred to as normal recuperation. Next is strong recuperation, in using the same 60 mph scenario, letting off the accelerator then dropping the transmission down to third gear, possibly even second gear, or at least somewhere in the middle, that's the sensation you would feel in an EV. This is also what they refer to as one-pedal driving, and similarly, in your ICE car, it feels similar to strong engine braking. Finally, there is intelligent recuperation, which uses GPS and a variety of other factors to determine the appropriate level at any given time. It's a bit complicated and not particularly important at this moment.

Since there's no engine in an EV, a different process/system is in place for regenerative braking. In this process, the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into electrical energy by the vehicle's electric machine (the technical term for the drive motor). This energy conversion causes the vehicle to lose kinetic energy, thereby slowing down. Now that I've given an overview of the braking system with a visual description and contextualized the information, I can answer your question more thoroughly.

Under regenerative braking, the brake pedal in the vehicle moves to different locations depending on the amount of "brake" pressure applied by the electric motors. This is done intentionally, but some drivers may find it unnatural to use. When the brake pedal is applied after the regen mode has started, they will experience a half-pressed pedal feel. To avoid this, the driver can choose to drive without regenerative braking, which will provide a normal pedal feel. However, it's worth noting that the pedal feel should not be confused with brake performance, as the brakes in the vehicle are very strong. Although some drivers may initially find the design to be less favorable, for me at least it's become a non-issue.

**Disclaimer** Not being an engineer or mechanic, if I've explained or described any mechanical functions imperfectly, I ask for room to err without reprisal.😀

Last edited by UltraLux22; 11-03-23 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-03-23, 09:14 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

I for one appreciate you taking the time to share your experience
The following 3 users liked this post by BBQapple:
F3Woody (11-03-23), TechNut (11-04-23), UltraLux22 (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 09:42 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I for one appreciate you taking the time to share your experience
Thanks for saying that! Kudos to the moderators for not banishing what is turning into a long thread about a non-Lexus product to the EV chat, which even I rarely ventured into before now. I promise I won't incessantly blabber on about my amazing, show-stopping, jaw-dropping, technologically mind-blowing, shiny, and new 2023 MB EQS 450 4MATIC and compare it endlessly to my two previous ES 350 ULs. That would be downright nauseating. But yeah, I promise I won't do that.😜😜😜😜
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 09:46 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by signdetres
It's how it's tuned because of how they blended regen brakes with friction brakes. It essentially just has a very long pedal travel that doesn't inspire confidence, but the brakes themselves are fantastic. The EQS SUV is 6200 pounds without a driver and stops from 60 mph in 111 feet. For comparison, the ES 350 is under 3700 pounds and stops from 60 mph in 119 feet if you have the Luxury model and 114 feet with the F-Sport.

However, this is no longer an issue anymore. Mercedes has updated this for 2024 models. They have an all-new braking system to make them feel more normal. From what I've read on Mercedes forums, apparently someone with an older car was able to take it to the dealership and get it updated. They reported a huge improvement in brake pedal feel and behavior. So luckily Mercedes is very receptive to customer complaints and deals with it appropriately.
That's good news for EQS owners!

The EQS SUV is 6200 pounds without a driver...
That probably explains why reviewers also complain about lackluster/ho-um handling. Not what you'd expect from a $100K+ Mercedes.
Old 11-03-23, 10:03 AM
signdetres
Racer

That probably explains why reviewers also complain about lackluster/ho-um handling. Not what you'd expect from a $100K+ Mercedes.
Really? I’ve never heard anyone complain about the handling of the EQS SUV or sedan.

i hope we’re keeping our expectations in check. A Rolls Royce Cullinan is also around 6,000 lbs. I don’t think anyone is expecting that to handle like a Lotus Elise, a 6,000+ lb luxury SUV from MB is no different.

That said, being an EV with a very low center of gravity, air suspension, and 10 degrees of rear wheel steering, I’ve been really impressed with how it handles. Body roll is very minimal, even under hard cornering/sharp turns.

With 10 degrees of rear wheel steering, it feels incredibly nimble and agile at low speeds and extremely stable at high speeds.

Like I said, handling in a vehicle like this is not first priority, but so far, it’s never let me down, and actually impresses me the more I push it. I’m discovering it has quite a Jekyll and Hyde personality in comfort vs sport.

My expectations for a $100,000+ Mercedes are to be able to do whatever I ask of it, and so far, it does that in spades and does it without ever losing composure. It’s a fantastic vehicle. Its full breadth of capabilities really can’t be experienced unless you’ve lived with it.
UltraLux22 (12-16-23)
Old 11-03-23, 10:26 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by signdetres
Really? I’ve never heard anyone complain about the handling of the EQS SUV or sedan.

i hope we’re keeping our expectations in check. A Rolls Royce Cullinan is also around 6,000 lbs. I don’t think anyone is expecting that to handle like a Lotus Elise, a 6,000+ lb luxury SUV from MB is no different.

That said, being an EV with a very low center of gravity, air suspension, and 10 degrees of rear wheel steering, I’ve been really impressed with how it handles. Body roll is very minimal, even under hard cornering/sharp turns.

With 10 degrees of rear wheel steering, it feels incredibly nimble and agile at low speeds and extremely stable at high speeds.

Like I said, handling in a vehicle like this is not first priority, but so far, it’s never let me down, and actually impresses me the more I push it. I’m discovering it has quite a Jekyll and Hyde personality in comfort vs sport.

My expectations for a $100,000+ Mercedes are to be able to do whatever I ask of it, and so far, it does that in spades and does it without ever losing composure. It’s a fantastic vehicle. Its full breadth of capabilities really can’t be experienced unless you’ve lived with it.
If a car doesn't ride like it's on rails, some reviewers will say it's lacking in handling and is like driving a barge. I guess it's tough to impress people who are used to commuting on rollercoasters!

I have to admit, every time I step on the "gas" pedal, I feel like I'm in a rocket ship rather than a car. It's almost like the engine is saying 'hold my beer' and then proceeds to blow your mind with its power. And despite its hefty weight @ nearly 6000 lbs, it can still outrun many cars on the road. This fat-boy can haul some serious ***! It's like watching a sumo wrestler win a marathon race, totally unexpected but impressive nonetheless.!
signdetres (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 10:32 AM
signdetres
Racer

I think it’s so impressive that a vehicle as large and heavy as the EQS SUV can brake in a shorter distance than much smaller vehicles that weigh almost half as much, like the ES.

It is an incredibly impressive sumo wrestler
UltraLux22 (11-03-23)

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it!