ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Well, I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 02:39 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts
Talking Well, I finally did it!

Today was bittersweet for me as I decided to end my relationship with Lexus and switch to a German car. Although I had some doubts about my decision, I couldn't resist the opportunity to trade up. I was able to get a 2023 Mercedes Benz EQS 450 4MATIC sedan for just a few pennies more than what I was paying for my 2022 ES 350 Ultra Luxury. I went EV and German in one fell swoop. But how often do we get an opportunity like this where we can drive a $112k vehicle for the same price as a $56k ES? Oh, and on top of that, I made $3300 on the sale of my Lexus. Crazy? No, just really smart!

I could still linger around and reminisce about the old days, constantly comparing my new car with my old one and questioning why I ever stayed with Lexus when I wanted something more expensive and exotic. I could try my best to avoid making comparisons and constantly remind everyone around me that my new choice is better than my old one, but that would be pointless. Instead, I'll share the unique stories and adventures that my new ride and I are discovering while still appreciating the memories I had with my old car. After all, it's not about the car you drive; it's about the experiences you have in it. And don't worry, I'll make sure you hear every single one. As a bonus, I'll be oblivious to the fact that you all really don't care and don't want to listen to it, but I'll ignore all that and continue forcing it down your throats. I'm sorry; I was confusing this situation with someone else. My bad!

You can be "jelly" all you want, but don't hate on my "bean"
Attached Thumbnails Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-3.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-354449cc9bc6d37bae83a8b225219d91x-copy.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-10-copy.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-5-copy.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-11.jpeg  

Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-6-copy.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-eqs-pics-7-copy.jpg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-22-23 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Level of obnoxiousness wasn't high enough.
The following 3 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
F3Woody (10-23-23), Lesley248 (10-22-23), signdetres (10-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 04:22 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats I am sure you will love it!
Keep us updated.
Old 10-22-23, 07:06 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Congrats! You should check out the "EV Chat" section of the forum and introduce yourself and your new EQS
Old 10-22-23, 07:29 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Aesthetically dazzling! One of the most stylish EVs I've seen.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (10-23-23)
Old 10-22-23, 08:19 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Beautiful looking car. Hope the EV part of it works out for you. I'll wait a few more years before thinking about trying it.
How you got a $112,000 car for $56,000 must be some dazzling bargaining story. Wish you hired out!!!
YumpinYiminy (12-16-23)
Old 10-22-23, 08:21 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Lovely car, I'm jealous.
Old 10-22-23, 10:28 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Congrats, what's the battery situation looking like on this one, range and charging time?
My biggest set back on EVs is not really the EV itself, we all know this is still early for most companies, but the charging infrastructure issue, especially for non-Tesla EVs...
Old 10-22-23, 03:22 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

EQS is being heavily discounted and are amazing buys now but for $56,000?!? Feel like we’re missing part of the story here.
Old 10-22-23, 04:15 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
EQS is being heavily discounted and are amazing buys now but for $56,000?!? Feel like we’re missing part of the story here.
From a The Truth About Cars article, Report: Mercedes Having Tough Time Selling EVs, quotes from Automotive News (paywalled) report of a series of interviews with Mercedes retailers:

EVs lack the "lust factor" of Mercedes' gasoline-powered flagship models
An EQS is not something that most people aspire to own.
And there's this quote from "a freshly retired Mercedes-Benz dealer situated on the East Coast":

...That was late in 2022. By the next summer, they were anchors. Everyone was having trouble moving EVs off the lot and the depreciation was crazy.
While there's one or two in the article's comments who don't think the styling is that bad, there's other comments in the vane of:

​​​​​​​The EQ line and EQS in particular remind me of early '90s GM "futuristic" styling, the Whale Caprice and Dustbuster vans in particular. Not very premium!

​​​​​​​
DavidZ (10-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 05:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

EVs are piling up on dealer lots. But are they really discounted 50% cash price? We all know there are many ways to manage a monthly payment if that's what he is referring to.
Old 10-22-23, 11:07 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by BBQapple
The MSRP for my new EQS was $112,295, which I managed to negotiate down to $77k, resulting in $35k in savings. I prefer leasing vehicles and was able to get my special order 22 Ultra Lux for $47k, instead of $56k, due to my relationship with a Lexus contact. However, the rates were not the best, and my monthly payment for the 3-year lease was $701. This was a good deal considering the market conditions at the time. When I picked up my 22 UL it was during the period with ADMs and nearly no discounts on any autos.

Regarding the 23 EQS, it was leased for a period of 2 years as a One-Pay, paying $17,934. This works out to $747 a month for 24 months, which is only slightly higher than what I paid for my $56k Lexus. I hope this provides more context and clarification.
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
joedaddy1 (12-22-23), LS500Fan (10-23-23)
Old 10-22-23, 11:09 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We all know there are many ways to manage a monthly payment if that's what he is referring to.
This right here.
Old 10-22-23, 11:42 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by july1988
Congrats, what's the battery situation looking like on this one, range and charging time?
My biggest set back on EVs is not really the EV itself, we all know this is still early for most companies, but the charging infrastructure issue, especially for non-Tesla EVs...
I understand that the upper limit of the car's range is 340. Additionally, the charging time is quite satisfactory. Initially, I used to worry a lot about running out of power while driving, but I realized that my regular driving habits don't require me to travel long distances often. This realization has helped me overcome my range anxiety and feel more confident while driving my car.

The Mercedes-Benz EQS is a top-performing EV model that boasts an impressive range. The EQS 450 4MATIC can go up to 340 miles on a single charge, which means that most drivers can go for several days without needing a recharge.

When it comes to charging, the EQS is equipped with different options. For example, it can go from 10% to 80% in just 31 minutes when using a DC fast charging unit (maximum 200kW). The charging session from 0-100% took 1 hour and 17 minutes, but the more important values are 10-80%: 31 minutes, 20-80%: 27 minutes, 10-90%: 42 minutes, and 20-90%: 39 minutes. It's recommended to only charge to 80%. Charging to a full 100% would only need to happen if taking a much longer trip. For average daily driving, charging to 80% is plenty.

Charging time will vary depending on the type of charger used as well as the vehicle itself. In most cases, people charge at home and at work when their car is parked, and they’re busy doing other things. There are two charging levels available: Level 1 and Level 2. Level 1 uses a standard household plug and an accessory charger that can be ordered with your Mercedes-EQ. However, due to its limited power output, we do not recommend relying on this method to charge your Mercedes-EQ vehicle. Average charging is 3-5 miles per hour

Level 2 uses a separate wall box that can be purchased through ChargePoint. This home charging solution is capable of charging at a rate of around 20-30 miles per hour on a 240V circuit. At a maximum of 9.6 kW, the EQS can charge from 10 – 100% in just over 11 hours. In most cases, overnight charging at home is more than enough to power your car through typical daytime driving, and many choose to “top up” their vehicles at work using charging stations.

Level 3 chargers will be your DC fast chargers and I would only ever need to utilize those if traveling great distances.
Attached Thumbnails Well, I finally did it!-2023-mercedes-benz-sticker-.jpg   Well, I finally did it!-2023-mercedes-benz-sticker-_1-2.jpg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-23-23 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 12:20 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Beautiful looking car. Hope the EV part of it works out for you. I'll wait a few more years before thinking about trying it.
How you got a $112,000 car for $56,000 must be some dazzling bargaining story.
The more I drive my car, the more I realize that I only take a handful of trips where charging mid-trip would be necessary. There are plenty of opportunities to charge up on the way, and I'm now convinced that it's the way to go. However, time will tell if it's really worth it. The car has amazing technology and the sound system is simply amazing the best I've heard! I love nearly everything about it so far. The only downside is that it's quite complicated, and I've had moments of analysis paralysis and brain overload. But I love the challenge, and I believe that those who are tech-savvy will be truly satisfied. As for the ambient lighting - especially at night - it's truly mesmerizing.

The wireless phone charger has been a disappointment so far, especially when using it with a phone case. It's similar to the issues I faced with both of my previous ES 350s, and I'm puzzled as to why the manufacturers of these wireless charging systems can't come up with a solution that works with phone cases. Any other non-automated charger works perfectly fine and costs a fraction of the price. It's surprising that they don't consider the fact that almost everyone uses phone cases. For people like me who use an Otterbox to protect their phone, it's even more frustrating as we can't use the wireless charging feature at all. As a result, I still resort to charging my phone through a cable. However, on a positive note, the massaging seats are an excellent feature.

How you got a $112,000 car for $56,000 must be some dazzling bargaining story.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11600091

Wish you hired out!!!
I have assisted many with getting better deals than what they likely would get on their own.
Old 10-23-23, 12:38 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Lovely car, I'm jealous.
I don't think you're ready for this Jelly!

LS500Fan (10-23-23)

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it!