ES350 tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 06:55 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by mishutka
How recently have you bought the car?
I remember when I purchased my 2019 RX350, they came with hideous Bridgestone Ecopias.
I called the dealership with 10 days of purchase and asked for tire swap with another OEM option Michelin Premier (quiet, better ride quality)
They asked for $300 labor for a tire swap and i gladly jumped on the offer.
Talk to your salesperson - you may be surprised what they are willing to do for you, if they want to keep you happy.
Good luck.
I made a similar request of my dealership when I bought my car, and they refused to accommodate me in any way whatsover. Of course, Woodfield Lexus of Schaumburg, IL is also the same dealership that just tried to bill me $378 for my "complimentary" second service because I didn't rack up miles fast enough to deserve it, so hopefully they're the exception.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
RobertJay (12-17-23), YumpinYiminy (12-11-23)
Old 11-22-23, 09:18 PM
mishutka
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Just replaced OEM Bridgestone Turanza on my 2020 ES with Continental ExtremeContact DWS6 Plus.
I planned on doing it anyway but $110 Continental promotion (until end of November) helped.
I had these Continentals on my LS460 for 5 years before I sold it - it was such a pleasure to ride them.
Bridgestones is just an utter junk - loud, unpredictable in holding the road, while ExtremeContact is a complete opposite.
Already tried them out in sub-wintry, rainy conditions and glad that got them.

The following users liked this post:
lji (12-16-23)
Old 11-22-23, 09:59 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by radiologym
Any comments if 17 in wheels make the ride noticeably smoother in comparison to 18 in?
I am dying to know the answer to this question and would love to hear if anybody switched out sizes on the same car.

I absolutely wanted 17 in wheels in my 2024 ES350 but after checking with 4 different dealers, all present and future inventory was loaded with 18".
The salesmen all wanted to know why I was so adament on 17". My answers were the same: Better ride quality, better pot hole protection, better tread life and lower replacement cost. I think they even look better than low profile rubber band tires. The best I could do was negotiate removal of the $660 upcharge for 18" wheels.

One salesman pointed out the lower profile tires take high speed turns better and my response was I'm not buying a Ferrari.

Last edited by hotwings; 11-22-23 at 10:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hotwings:
Denzlex (11-22-23), LS500Fan (11-23-23)
Old 11-23-23, 04:32 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Just replaced mine with the Goodyear - Assurance ComfortDrive - 235 /40 R19 and couldn't be happier. My wife, who never notices anything new, even commented on how much smoother and quieter they are.
Old 11-23-23, 12:41 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FTBoomer
Just replaced mine with the Goodyear - Assurance ComfortDrive - 235 /40 R19 and couldn't be happier. My wife, who never notices anything new, even commented on how much smoother and quieter they are.
Same with my wife. I’ve explained to her that brand new, freshly balanced tires will always be noticeably smoother and quieter than the old, worn tires they replace. It’s hard to compare our new tires to how our previous tires felt five years ago.

Last edited by Denzlex; 11-23-23 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denzlex:
FTBoomer (11-24-23), GS350Miami (11-24-23)
Old 12-02-23, 10:53 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MJLx2
Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated. your comments helped confirm my research … Michelin Primacy Tour AS - standard load (94V). Odd that some retailers only carry the XL load (98V) while others offer both standard load and XL. Since I’m interested in smooth, quiet and comfortable, I’m going with the standard load and speed rating (94V) that came with the car as OEM. Thanks again. This forum is very helpful.
When I purchased my Primacy Tour AS a couple of months back online at Costco, they had three different versions and part numbers for this tire. I knew about the XL load but couldn't figure out what the difference was on the other two and the Costco tire center also didn't know. I ended up calling Michelin and asking them. One of them has a newer designed tire tread compared to the other one according to the manufacturer. I bought the one with the newest tread design that was maybe $60-$70 higher for the set. Honestly from the pictures I couldn't really tell the difference.
Old 12-04-23, 07:36 AM
gsnuge
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
As pointed out above, that's an OEM tire for this car. I did have experience with it—about 200 miles of it, before I tore it off the car. But I'm in the Snow Belt, so one of the reasons for my distaste doesn't apply to you. One reason that DOES apply to you is its inferiority in standing-start traction, where the ES needs all the help it can get. I believe this tire was engineered for a smooth and quiet ride on the test drive, maximum mileage on the EPA cycle, and very little else. All engineering is a compromise, and whether you'd want this or one of Michelin's more versatile offerings depends on what performance characteristics you value.
I replaced my Bridgestone tires at 25k and installed the Pirelli 3 tires. I am happy with them for comfort and quietness. However, I not some "slapping" sound on highway speeds with concrete roads and dividers, but great on asphalt paving.
Old 12-05-23, 01:08 PM
mt223
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default ES tires

I have used Yokohama tires (rated 60000 miles) for my ES Hybrid for 8 years. They last about 3 years. I get frequent tire checks.
Old 12-09-23, 03:11 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Lots of opinions

I thought it funny that you brought this topic up. I do have experience replacing stock Bridgestones on similar cars.
I've had such bad luck with stock Bridgestones that I told the dealer to swap them with another car that had the Michilins or I'm not buying. They did! 2024 ES350 new 11/30/2023.
Since you don't have to deal with winter conditions I think any of your mention tires would be a good choice. I personally would try the Goodyears. I've tried the different styles of 3 different vehicles (Toyotas) and have been very happy. I would search tire rack reviews for your car and the tires your looking at. It helps.
Old 12-10-23, 01:03 PM
geost
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, which tire did you end up getting? I've been looking at replacing tires on my '22 ES350 and I saw that Costco has a deal going for the Firestone Firehawk AS 2 tires.

I've been looking for reviews on these tires and there doesn't seem to be as many I thought there would be. Looking at the design, it looks very similar to the Conti DWS tires... Anyone have experience with these Firestones?

I've also been looking at the Goodyears and Pirelli P7 AS 3 like you OP.
Old 12-10-23, 03:27 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by geost
OP, which tire did you end up getting? I've been looking at replacing tires on my '22 ES350 and I saw that Costco has a deal going for the Firestone Firehawk AS 2 tires.

I've been looking for reviews on these tires and there doesn't seem to be as many I thought there would be. Looking at the design, it looks very similar to the Conti DWS tires... Anyone have experience with these Firestones?

I've also been looking at the Goodyears and Pirelli P7 AS 3 like you OP.
Unless price is one of your top priorities, you can certainly do better than anything Firestone. Firestone these days is Bridgestone's price brand.
Old 12-10-23, 07:02 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

My 18 inch Bridgestones aren’t amazing but reasonably smooth and not too noisy now at 15,000 miles. They’re a little more than half worn based on tread depth.

Im more disappointed in the Bridgestone Potenzas 19 inch on my wife’s IS350 FS howwver theyrebgetying pretty loud at 8,000 miles and wearing quickly. They also tramline a lot.
Old 12-10-23, 07:08 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by BBQapple
My 18 inch Bridgestones aren’t amazing but reasonably smooth and not too noisy now at 15,000 miles. They’re a little more than half worn based on tread depth.

Im more disappointed in the Bridgestone Potenzas 19 inch on my wife’s IS350 FS howwver theyrebgetying pretty loud at 8,000 miles and wearing quickly. They also tramline a lot.
In fairness to Bridgestone, we should keep in mind that afternarket tires are different from a tire brand's OEM tires — even when the two have the exact same names. The OEM tires are made to the carmaker's specifications, and reflect the carmaker's priorities. In the case of the ES, those priorities are a quiet, smooth ride and low rolling resistance for high MPG in the official EPA test, since the EPA requires the test to be conducted with the car equipped exactly the way it'll be when sold to the folks. Other competing priorities like traction often are relatively neglected, especially in a car like ours that's marketed with few sporting pretensions.
Old 12-10-23, 09:07 PM
geost
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless price is one of your top priorities, you can certainly do better than anything Firestone. Firestone these days is Bridgestone's price brand.
Thank you. I'm not too concerned with pricing, but I also take sales/discounts into consideration when available. I've had Michelin Pilots and Continental Extreme Sport (whatever they're called nowadays) on my previous vehicles. Just not sure if I should look into that versus all seasons this time around. I don't live anywhere near snow so performance in that respect doesn't matter to me.
The following users liked this post:
YumpinYiminy (12-11-23)
Old 12-10-23, 10:29 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

In fairness to Bridgestone, we should keep in mind that afternarket tires are different from a tire brand's OEM tires — even when the two have the exact same names. The OEM tires are made to the carmaker's specifications, and reflect the carmaker's priorities. In the case of the ES, those priorities are a quiet, smooth ride and low rolling resistance for high MPG in the official EPA test, since the EPA requires the test to be conducted with the car equipped exactly the way it'll be when sold to the folks. Other competing priorities like traction often are relatively neglected, especially in a car like ours that's marketed with few sporting pretensions.
It’s not unfair to be unhappy with the OEM tires on my wife’s car but to be happy with the OEMs on mine. Not everyone wants the same things out of a set of tires.

Also as a clarification the S001L Potenza tires on my wife’s IS are made specifically for Lexus for the F Sport ID350 but the EL440 tires on my ES are not specific to Lexus and are equipped on many different cars some of which are essentially economy cars. Most mainstream cars have “off the rack” tires not custom tires.

Quick Reply: ES350 tire recommendations