ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Screen protector for 12.3" Infotainment screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 07:19 PM
bkomoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screen protector for 12.3" Infotainment screen

Anyone use a screen protector? If so, does it affect the touchscreen? What brand?
Old 11-01-23, 08:53 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 300 Posts

I considered it but then opted against it as although it's an area of high use it isn't an area where impact is likely to occur.
Old 11-01-23, 11:29 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,033 Likes on 768 Posts

I bought the matte one and removed immediately because it covers the clock and looks weird.

I would buy a clear one but one that reduces the screen glare.
Old 11-03-23, 05:50 AM
tfischer

Received 227 Likes on 167 Posts

I've had two Lexus touchscreen cars, starting with what I think was their first touch screen: the SC430. I had that car for 14 years with no "protector" and never had a problem. I had one in an RX and also had no problems. The only admonition I recall from early automobile touch screens was not to clean them with a glass cleaner that contains ammonia (like Windex - although I am sure nobody here uses that stuff anywhere near an automobile), as it harms the surface coating which I think lessened the screen sensitivity to touch. With newer screens, I'm not sure if that is still a problem or not.
Based on my experience, and generally I hate to generalize from insufficient data, I'd suggest forgetting about a screen protector. I'm not sure what you are protecting the screen from, anyway, as the fingerprint problem will remain. Put a small microfiber towel in the door pocket or the console for use on fingerprints, and that should be all you need.
The following 3 users liked this post by tfischer:
ATL350 (11-03-23), mikemu30 (11-03-23), RobertJay (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 06:24 AM
bkomoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! The micro fiber cloth is a good suggestion.
Old 11-03-23, 01:01 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

A screen protector seems useless to me. I don't even have one on my cell phone and that is at much greater risk of bumping into sharp objects. Only once in my life did I have to replace a phone screen due to dropping it on rocks.
Old 11-03-23, 04:03 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

I’ve had older “you have to press hard” two later touch screens that got worn, but they’ve been using the laminated gorilla glass style screens for years now in cars and it seems really durable and scratch resistant.

Maybe if I had crazy kids I’d consider a screen protector now. The rubber dash material, however, gets scuffed up at the slightest touch and is awful. Shame on Lexus for that stuff.
Old 11-03-23, 06:25 PM
BlainePDX
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i keep a rolled up microfiber towel jammed on the side of my seat - it's useful for cleaning the touchscreen and dash, and keeps stuff from falling between the seat and center console (it's really hard to get at things under the seat)
The following users liked this post:
july1988 (11-03-23)
Old 11-04-23, 09:03 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BlainePDX
i keep a rolled up microfiber towel jammed on the side of my seat - it's useful for cleaning the touchscreen and dash, and keeps stuff from falling between the seat and center console (it's really hard to get at things under the seat)
Doesn't the towel get dislodged and jammed each time the seat goes back and forth when you enter and exit your car?
Old 11-04-23, 10:07 AM
BlainePDX
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Doesn't the towel get dislodged and jammed each time the seat goes back and forth when you enter and exit your car?
Ah, I suppose that could happen. I hated that feature - it always felt like I was crawling out of a hole so I disabled it.
Old 11-04-23, 10:15 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BlainePDX
Ah, I suppose that could happen. I hated that feature - it always felt like I was crawling out of a hole so I disabled it.
I thought you might say that. When I first got the car, I didn't like that fearure either. But when I switched it to only go back half the default distance, it was OK. Now, I like it and don't want to give it up.
The following users liked this post:
F3Woody (11-07-23)
Old 11-04-23, 12:15 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

The automatic seat movement upon exit is probably more helpful for short people, my wife loves it me not so much. It’s on for her IS but off for my ES. I do keep the strewing wheel retractor on however.

Her IS has flap between seat and tunnel like my last Lexus so when keys or other items fall down they don’t get trapped. Disappointing the ES doesn’t have that feature especially given the buyers tend to be older. I’ve lost my keys down there countless times then have to power the seat all the way forward and crouch down in the back door opening to get at them.

Inkeep my microfiber rag in the side door picket personally.

Last edited by BBQapple; 11-04-23 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-04-23, 07:30 PM
tfischer

Received 227 Likes on 167 Posts

Like BBQ, I have always kept the Microfiber towel in the door pocket, right next to my mini-pac of Kleenex.
As for that gap between the seat and the center console that swallows keys and phones, there are several devices, from basic to elegant with logos, that fit in there to catch things.
I might look into one of those, as I have noticed, during my short ownership of an ES, that searching under the driver's seat to retrieve stuff seems harder than with my previous cars. Even a flashlight does not always help. (I guess that's due to all the motors and HVAC equipment under there.)
The following 2 users liked this post by tfischer:
BBQapple (11-04-23), shoodes (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 02:03 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The only time I would say you would need a screen protector depends on the environment you work in. One of my coworkers drives a 2021 IS350 with 10.3 inch screen option, his is full of micro-scratches. The scratches are ONLY visible when there is light shining on it, otherwise they aren't noticable at all. In fact, I pointed them out to him, he had no idea they were even there. But, he lives pretty much in BFE, Texas, where hes always working out in the yard or with sand/concrete and any other "harder" materials. So its likely that he has dirty hands or residue leftover when he is using the touchscreen. I have also read that certain rings and jewelry will scratch the screen. i.e wearing a diamond ring can definitely scratch the screen if it makes contact.

Like others have said, I keep a microfiber in the center console and use that to clean the screen and various other objects when needed.

Doing some quick research, you can get a tempered glass screen protector for $10~ on AliExpress.
www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803717313754.html?

Or the various different brands/resellers on Amazon. Some use films and some use "tempered glass".